Got my first Speedy B 25. Very underwhelming...what am I missing here?

chlee1

Apr 22, 2015
Am I the only one who is underwhelmed by this $1400+ bag? Mine smelled heavily of plastic/chemicals, it's super thin, the hardwear is light and seems like the gold will chip quickly.....and it's just overall underwhelming for the price. Thus far, I've only owned Celine, Chloe, YSL, and MG (most are pre-loved) - where for half the price I got a full leather bag with substantial hardwear. You even get more with Gucci. I don't get why people are such huge LV/speedy/neverfull fans (besides the awesome resell value - which indicates how popular they are).

What am I missing?

Reactions: whateve
Am I the only one who is underwhelmed by this $1400+ bag? Mine smelled heavily of plastic/chemicals, it's super thin, the hardwear is light and seems like the gold will chip quickly.....and it's just overall underwhelming for the price. Thus far, I've only owned Celine, Chloe, YSL, and MG (most are pre-loved) - where for half the price I got a full leather bag with substantial hardwear. You even get more with Gucci. I don't get why people are such huge LV/speedy/neverfull fans (besides the awesome resell value - which indicates how popular they are).

What am I missing?
mostly is about keep the most value when comes to resale.

Reactions: antschulina

What am I missing?
Sounds like you should return the bag and move on to other brands.
Don't force yourself to use something you consider so subpar.

Mostly is about the perfection of style, ease of use, and durability.

Not your cup of tea? That's fine. Return and move on. (Comparing leather to canvas is not useful--the wonderful benefits of canvas are absent in leather, and vice versa.)

Thanks for your reply. Just curious to if I was missing something here. I've done a lot of research on LV hardwear in recent years and the gold seems to chip very easily. Overall quality seems to have "gone downhill" is the consensus. Just want to make sure I'm not misreading this or missing some wonderful benefit. Thanks again for your perspective.

Oh, and I choose the speedy because I absolutely love the design. It's the perfect small/medium shoulder "forget about it" bag. I haven't been able to find something comparable for YSL, Gucci, etc. that isn't a direct speedy copy. I just wish they made it more durable for the price point.

Any of the Celine bags I've seen that are worth buying (to me) cost thousands of thousands of dollars. Comparing a pre-loved leather bag to a full priced brand new canvas bag is not fair comparison.

The Speedy is a classic Louis Vuitton icon. It's recognizable. It's "affordable" luxury for many and can be considered an entry level bag that's also useful and may last for years. It's not your cup of tea, that's OK. Substantial material does not always equal better material. That said, not everyone wants substantial hardware. I love canvas bags because they are relatively care free and so easy to take care of. My oldest LV is from 1994 and it's still in amazing shape. I don't love everything that LV puts out, but that's why the variety exists - what I don't find appealing will appeal to others.

People like different things.

mostly is about keep the most value when comes to resale.

I don't think people are buying Speedy's predominantly because of resale value. It's because it's a classic style. It's been around for nearly 90 years and will be around for another 90. It's a nice bonus to know that something you're paying big bucks for won't lose 50% of its value once you leave the store.

I've only owned Celine, Chloe, YSL, and MG (most are pre-loved) - where for half the price I got a full leather bag with substantial hardwear. You even get more with Gucci.

In my opinion, Louis Vuitton quality, durability, longevity > those brands. I say that as someone who has moved on from the brand itself. My last purchase was in 2008 (a wallet) which I use daily and is only starting to show wear now. I have numerous pieces purchased new from the 80's and 90's that are still in heavy rotation - I use to fly with a mid 80's Keepall 55 bandoulière often but now relegate it to weekend road trips due to its weight. It's still in beautiful condition, especially for something I haven't babied.

YMMV with your experiences regarding Louis Vuitton, but if you're already not happy with your first purchase, perhaps you should return the bag and move on to another brand.

May I suggest Hermes?

If it doesn't excite you to start using it, return. When I first bought my Speedy B I returned it because the shoulder strap end stuck out no matter what I did to adjust it. So I returned it for classic Speedy and bought a LV shoulder strap and am still quite happy with my decision.
I started buying LV bags 5 years ago-they are not for everybody but I like the design, lightweight, durability, and utility. Have never experienced metal chipping or rubbing off and now I own 8 of them! To each his own!

Canvas bags have a potent chemical smell... it’s quite bad isn’t it? The gold hardware sucks.... but yet the canvas is durable and you have to be a fan of mono or Damier... if not then bye LV

What am I missing?
I own the Neverfull and think it's an awesome bag! It's the one bag I know I'll never part with because of its versatility. It can be a handbag, travel bag and a laptop bag with no worries of ripping apart (unless you're a rough person). It's so timeless and classic...never goes out of style. Maybe opt for the all leather bags...that's quite a bit of money to spend for a bag you don't like. Did you not look at/study the bag before purchase? What changed your mind after seeing the bag online or in the store?

What am I missing?
Monogram speedy and especially neverfull are my least favorite bags by LV. I feel like everyone and their mom has them, so I don't plan on buying them ever. If you're really feeling underwhelmed by the bag, I would return it and maybe look at a different LV bag, one that you would like and be happy to own. The plastic and chemical smell you're talking about is a product of the canvas process -it comes with any LV canvas bag. Yes, you are paying mainly for the LV brand, but it didn't build it's reputation and recognition from nothing.

I think it's a little unfair to compare LV to the other brands you mentioned, you're kind of comparing apples to oranges. The other bags may be full leather but LV built its name and reputation on its canvas... Its canvas allowed luggage pieces to be airtight, lightweight, and water-resistant. So much so that LV was able to introduce rectangular luggage pieces in the mid 19th century for stacking and easier transportation. Prior to this, luggage pieces were usually leather and had rounded tops to encourage water-run off, but no stacking. Leather isn't as water resistant as coated canvas so even then, it wasn't guaranteed your things wouldn't get damp. LV was so revolutionary, that other luggage makers imitated their design. Those rectangular luggage pieces you now see everywhere in baggage claims, it started with LV.

Most of the other brands you mentioned are not cheap either, especially when you look at comparable sizes. I'm assuming MG is Mansur Gavriel -it's the only outlier in price point. Most of the other brands though, when new, have the same price point as LV's canvas and full leather bags. LV just so happens to have a higher resale value. Because you mentioned Gucci as a brand where you get even "more," I just want to point out that in the 2000s, LV was producing bags with much more hardware detailing.

Back then, all the extra frills of hardware was in fashion and then it fell out of favor. LV got rid of all that extra stuff shortly after. Historically, fashion is more conservative during economic lows and is loud during economic booms. We are starting to enter a boom, hence why designer brands are popular again, along with more "obnoxious" designs. Having money and flaunting it isn't as frowned upon as it was a decade ago. Gucci, in particular, has done a really good job embracing youth fashion. They are coming out with more detailing, and albeit gaudy at times, fashion items because that is what's in demand for the younger audience and ultra rich. LV recently released their Geant collection which is very obnoxious for some people, but it follows the trend of "bigger and more" that is quite prevalent in fashion right now. That being said, certain LV bag styles, such as speedy, are considered classics and staples because they have shown to be popular despite economic hardships and fads.