Got my Cabas Piano today!

Twinklette

Over*the*Rainbow
Feb 22, 2006
I absolutely love the size and style and am basically very pleased, yet I bought the bag knowing there were some watermarks on the base vachetta piece. Unfortunately it's more noticeable than I could tell in pictures :sad2: If I treat the bottom leather piece with conditioner, would the watermarks lessen in appearance? Just curious. Can I have LV replace the bottom piece if it bothered me that much?

:love:

Could you post pic's ?

Btw Congrat's great purchased.. :love:

I purchased used bag off Ebay about 1+ yrs ago.. and love it. Its loved and well used but in great shape. You can try using the cleaning method I posted in another thread.. they retreat the bag..

here is my bag..

YES you can have Lv replace the bottom and the handles and it will be brand new :smile: not sure of the cost.

Twinklette said:
I absolutely love the size and style and am basically very pleased, yet I bought the bag knowing there were some watermarks on the base vachetta piece. Unfortunately it's more noticeable than I could tell in pictures :sad2: If I treat the bottom leather piece with conditioner, would the watermarks lessen in appearance? Just curious. Can I have LV replace the bottom piece if it bothered me that much?

:love:

If you phone to a Vuitton shop in France saying that your vachetta has been spoiled by rain the first answer will be "let it dry" and "never, never put everything on the vachetta leather, it would be worse". That the same for every kind of stain ; in a word, pay attention to where you put your bag and all will be OK.

Girls here's a picture of the bottom, so should I treat it or no? What I love is the handles are like new and the leather is super pale, all except the bottom leather. Funny that the corners have turned slightly but the handles haven't and neither has the bottom. The corners must have had the sun more than the other parts of the bag maybe?

I am in love with this bag! I finally found an LV that looks fabulous and is truly functional.

bottom.jpg

Congrats on your new bag! I :love: the Cabas piano! I wish I had one. I can't give much advice for caring for the Vanchetta but I would not worry about it too much. It will Patina over time and probably blend in. Plus, its on the bottom of the bag so nobody will see it. Maybe it is a good idea to let the bottom "Suntan" and see if that helps?

here you go

How to use APPLEGARDE Leather Pre-treat/Conditioner
PREVENTATIVE & ACTIVE CARE:
I recommend using the Leather Care and Apple Garde treatments from Apple Products to protect your bag's beauty, as well as to ensure it's value. You can find these products at www.leatherstuff.com

All new bags should be immediately treated with Apple Garde. Apple Garde is a leather rain & stain repellent spray that protects against water spots, body oil, wine, and grease. It has also been rumoured that it will also slow down the patina process of your bag just a bit, but I have personally seen no tangible proof of that.

To treat: take your new purse to a highly ventilated area (preferably, outside!) and lay your bag down on a hand towel. Because the Louis Vuitton Monogram/Murakami canvas and Vernis bodies are already pre-treated (and Epi doesn't need to be treated at all), you are really only spraying the straps and trim. Spray a light mist for about 10 seconds, holding the aerosol can about 10 inches away from the purse. Don't worry about getting the spray on the body because it won't absorb. Wait about 30 minutes and do another final mist. Your straps will be considerably darker, and you may feel like jumping off a bridge but take heart~~they will lighten back to their original light patina eventually. It will take much longer than indicated on the bottle~~perhaps even a few days, but they will lighten back. However, if you have OVER-SPRAYED, then your straps will be a shade or so darker than they were orginally. Keep that in mind, you heavy-handed divas!
Wipe all excess spray off the canvas, Vernis body, and/or hardware. Let your bag dry unencumbered in a shaded area outdoors (or a well-ventilated area).

Apple Garde treatments will depend on how often you use your purse: an everyday bag should be sprayed and treated every couple months or so. Occasion bags can be treated much less frequently.

For older bags with established patina: use the Leather Care Lotion to remove dirt, grime, and body oil, as well as to restore moisture. Get a clean rag (put the lotion on the rag) and use liberally on your straps, especially in the area that sees the most contact with the skin (it will be darker in this area than the rest of the straps). You will feel the leather softening up immediately. Let dry and buff with another clean rag. Wait another hour or so and treat with Apple Garde. You want to condition your straps with Leather Care Lotion regularly (once every couple of months) to keep your leather supple and prevent drying, cracking, and mildewing.

Louis lovers are split almost 50/50 about whether to pre-treat or let the natural color of their bag develop. I vacillate between both sides; some bags I have sprayed while others I have not. There is no rhyme or reason to my inconsistency, but I do lean towards the natural patina process. I do, however, always use the Leather Conditioner for older bags.
I know some people who always condition their new bags, but I tend to believe that new leather has plenty of it's own natural oils.
Do NOT use the Leather Cleaner on any LV vachetta leather. It is way too harsh and will STAIN.

Twinklette said:
Lvobsessed which thread is your cleaning method in? I want to check it out.

Product: Mr Clean Magic Eraser
Uses: Cleaning up really dirty Vachetta leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Colored leathers
Sources: Any drugstore or supermarket, www.drugstore.com/search/...=404Search
Notes: Prepare Vachetta with Apple Garde conditioner, then use the Eraser, making sure to squeeze out excess water. Follow up with another treatment of conditioner once the leather is dry. Repeat conditioning treatment as necessary. It is normal for the sponge to “crumble apart” until it disappears completely.

Product: Wilsons Leather Spray
Uses: Conditioner- does not darken vachetta
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis pieces, as it will leave a film!
Sources: www.wilsonsleather.com/fa...cp=1855607
Notes: Spray a light mist for about 10 seconds, holding the aerosol can about 10 inches away from the purse. Wait about 30 minutes and do another final mist. Wipe excess spray off the canvas, Vernis body, and/or hardware. Let your bag dry unencumbered in a shaded area outdoors (or a well-ventilated area). (Full instructions at p074.ezboard.com/fauthent...=18.topic)

Product: Sunshine Polishing Cloths
Uses: Polishing brass hardware, zippers
NOT FOR USE ON: Non-metal surfaces
Sources: stores.ebay.com/Many-Hors...ayZ2QQtZkm
Notes: Use as directed.

Product: Brasso
Uses: Polishing brass hardware, zippers
NOT FOR USE ON: Non-metal surfaces
Sources: Hardware stores, Target, acmehardware.com/product_...ku=3623626
Notes: Be careful when applying, as it is runny. Try to protect leather parts with paper and tape first.

Product: Apple Garde Water-Repellant Spray
Uses: Protects vachetta leather from water-spots and staining.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis body, canvas, and Epi pieces do not need it.
Sources: www.leatherstuff.com/shop...php?id=284
Notes: Spray a light mist for about 10 seconds, holding the aerosol can about 10 inches away from the purse. Wait about 30 minutes and do another final mist. Wipe excess spray off the canvas, Vernis body, and/or hardware. Let your bag dry unencumbered in a shaded area outdoors (or a well-ventilated area). (Full instructions at p074.ezboard.com/fauthent...=18.topic)

Product: Apple Leather Cleaner
Uses: Cleans and conditions older bags with established patina.
NOT FOR USE ON: NEW LEATHER!
Sources: www.leatherstuff.com/shop...php?id=267
Notes: Apply liberally with a clean rag to vachetta. Let dry and buff with another clean rag. Wait another hour or so and treat with Apple Garde.

Product: Tattersall Soap
Uses: Gentle cleaner/conditioner that can be used on vachetta
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis body, canvas, and Epi pieces
Sources: Saddle shops, doversaddlery.com/product...id=FROOGLE
www.paddocksaddlery.com/p...d=ErAHiIDv
Notes: Wipe leather clean with a terry cloth towel. The texture of the towel helps to remove some surface dirt. Tattersall comes with a natural sponge. Very lightly dampen the sponge and rub into the soap paste. Apply to the leather and then wipe with a dry towel. I usually use Carters baby wash cloths to polish off leather since they are VERY soft.

Product: Lexol Cleanser
Uses: Cleans heavier stains off Vachetta and Epi leathers.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vernis body
Sources: Auto supply stores, www.valleyvet.com/ct_deta...ccd=IFH003
Notes: Carefully apply and rub with terry cloth rag. Follow up with Lexol Conditioner.

Product: Lexol Conditioner
Uses: To condition vintage honeyed leather and Epi leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Light/new vachetta (causes permanent darkening)
Sources: Auto supply stores, www.valleyvet.com/ct_deta...ccd=IFH003
Notes: Apply as needed

Product: VINYLEX (by Lexol)
Uses: Cleans and protects Vintage Monogram & Graffiti canvas. It leaves a bit of a shine, which disappears weeks later. However, this product is spectacular for vintage pieces that look a bit dry or tired and can be used on all LV canvas pieces, as it helps prevent scratching, resist cracking, and remain supple.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta Leather, Vernis body
Sources: Auto supply stores
Notes: Apply after cleaning with Lexol PH.

Product: Gonzo
Uses: Stain Remover; can be used on Damier, and Monogram.
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta Leather, Vernis body. Use extreme caution on Epi
Sources: Linens n' Things, Bed Bath and Beyond, www.lnt.com/product/index...age=family
Notes: Carefully apply and rub with terry cloth rag or spot clean with a q-tip. Wipe off with a damp terry towel. Repeat carefully if necessary.

Product: Ronsonol (Petrol based lighter fluid)
Uses: Removes white marks (or other colors) and light surface soil off Damier/Mono canvas and Epi leather to remove superficial transfer marks
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta Leather. Use with extreme caution on Vernis.
Sources: Mart, WalMart, Walgreens or any tobacco store, www.filmart.com/cgi-bin/f...NSLF5.html
Notes: Use sparingly on a cotton ball. Wipe up excess with damp rag. Follow up with a dry rag.

Product: Denatured Alcohol
Uses: Remove ink stains as well as stains from rubbing up against a wall. Can also remove ink stains from Vachetteta
NOT FOR USE ON: Epi leather, Vernis body
Sources: Hardware stores, www.misterart.com/store/v...up_id=1542
Notes: Apply with cotton ball or swap and rub gently.

Product: Non-acetone nail polish remover
Uses: Remove s scuff stains from walls on Vernis bags.
NOT FOR USE ON: Canvas, Epi, or Vachetta leather
Sources: Any drugstore
Notes: Apply with cotton ball or swap and rub gently but firmly until stains lift. Finish up with a damp cloth. Wipe dry.

Product: InkAway
Uses: Removes ink stains from Alcantara interior
NOT FOR USE ON: Has not been tested on Vachetta leather, Vernis, or Epi
Sources: Craft Stores
Notes: Use with caution on cross grained leather. it will remove ink stains on the cross grain leather but it must be applied and removed quickly.

Product: Amodex
Uses: A very gentle ink remover that can be used to rub into cross-grain leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta leather
Sources: Amodex 1-877-866-1255 www.fahrneyspens.com/sort...ord=amodex .
Notes: Must be rinsed off or wiped off with damp rag.

Product: Glipstick Pen/Stain Remover For Leather
Uses: Removes pens/stains on most leather
NOT FOR USE ON: Vachetta leather, Vernis body
Sources: www.gliptone.com
Notes: Follow manufacturer’s directions

Product: Sanford “Magic Rub” Eraser
Uses: Removes surface marks on Vachetta, esp. Speedy handles
NOT FOR USE ON: Not yet tested on Vernis body, Damier, or Monogram
Sources: Office Max or Staples
Notes: Follow manufacturer’s directions

Product: EraserStik
Uses: Can remove some ink marks off Vachetta.
NOT FOR USE ON: n/a
Sources: Office Max or Staples
Notes: Use with care as it can lighten the spot, but it will remove the ink. It is more abrasive than the Magic Rub.

I just got my first LV bag 2 weeks ago.. a speedy 25. I've had my eye on this baby for over a year now.. but I refused to spend that much on myself.. so my husband suprised me with it. such a sweet sweet man...Today, I noticed that I left a pen with the cap off inside! darnit!! I have about 4 ink blots on the canvas inside. I can't see it from the outside, but knowing myself that the stains are there will drive me crazy... Any ideas on what I can get to clean the ink blot stains? Please help!!!:sad: