Workplace Got laid off 2 weeks ago... *never* been unemployed... very depressed

MissLianne

PhD in shopping
O.G.
Dec 27, 2008
I got laid off from my *first* great paying job 2 weeks ago. I'm completing my last year of my BBA (bachelor of business admin) part time. I decided that cause I had this *finally* great paying job. I just turned 25 by the way. I have worked my way up in my field (Hospitality Management) from a mere receptionist to a front desk agent t a supervisor to a coordinator to a manager from the time I was 18.

My job finally put me in financial stability. I was no longer 'entry level'... I had confidence. I was starting to save, to plan for my future, investing, travelling and being a financial adult. Ughhh.... I have *never* not had a job since I was 15yrs old. Never once got fired. Never once quit a job without having another lined up. There were times I held 2 or 3 jobs at one time. I have a car purchased and paid off. I'm not in debt except for almost 4K left of student loans. No credit card debt etc.

...And 2 Fridays ago I was let go with 20 other people. I was employed with my company since Nov. 2008. I liked my job, I didn't plan to stay there forever. Although it was somewhat in my field...it was very admin based...it wasn't my passion like my previous jobs. I was okay for the first week of being unemployed... I thought: when one door closes another one opens. Yaa right.... 2 weeks later I've never felt so low in my life.

I started applying for jobs exactly a week and a half ago. Since then, I have applied to (no joke) 56 openings. I have gotten *one* call which I was given an interview. ONE! Out of 56. In the past I have applied to jobs, and within a matter of days I would receive multiple calls and interviews! After the first few days I have even started applying for entry level jobs. As the weekdays wear on I get more and more depressed when that phone doesn't ring!
I spend at least 2-3 hrs a day applying and researching for jobs.

I tend to stay in my house all day. That way I don't spend a dime. I feel terrible even when I go out with my friends for $2.47 coffee. It just reminds me I'm unemployed with no end in sight. I applied for unemployment benefits (just in case) but that seems so degrading. I am able and willing to work... I'm young and energetic.... I went to a good school.... Have great previous experience with reputable companies.... Long reference list... WHY???

I had so many plans for the next few months. I was going to start organizing myself for a real estate purchase. I planned to buy a new car. I recently invested into mutual funds a few days before my lay off. I had plans to travel with my best friend in June and plans to travel with my boyfriend in September. Everything seems to be put on a hold now. I'm no longer in control. I feel useless and depressed. I cried 3 times today.

*vent complete*

& oh ...bag & shoe purchases completely out of the question :sad: too bad for that Neiman Marcus order I put through mere hours before I got laid off. Perfect timing huh?

I'm never good at saying exactly what people want to hear at times like these but I will proceed with utmost honesty. You sound like a very driven person given the trajectory you have been on since you were 18. There is absolutely no way you will fail. You are applying to jobs in one of the worst economies in American history. The lack of call backs is not a reflection of who you are and what you offer. Try to stay as positive as you can. Don't beat yourself up. I am cheering for you.

Don't let your job define who you are!! Someone told me at my last job when we were bought out that I will "always land on my feet" and so I will tell you the same.
This is a horrible economy and I feel terrible that you lost your job but don't let a job loss make you feel that your dreams are unattainable. Dream and figure out a way to get the things you want.
Network, join linkedin, try things that are out of the box and don't just apply online.
I lost my job twice. Once I was blind sided and the next time I was prepared. The first time I left one good job for a job I thought was GREAT!! I worked a full day (in sales) and come home to find a fedex letter with the owner telling me he no longer needed me!! He didn't even CALL ME! It was awful and I felt horrible about myself.
I was careful with my money and did collect unemployment to supplement. I was dedicated about looking for jobs. Somewhere along the line I realized that there are very few times in life where you actually get time off more than just a week or two. A horrible thing actually turned into an opportunity. I thought about a lot of things and did them during that time.
There are many things that don't cost a ton of money like: going to the park, working out, organizing your life, whatever. Do you know what I mean? Things you always wanted to do but never had the time for?
Seize the day. When I look back on some of the bad things that have happened work wise I realize that some of the best things have come from it. It's hard to see it while your in the midst of it but once you get past you realize it was all meant to happen (at least in my case) it just took me awhile to realize.

I agree with the other posters...your lay off is not a reflection of "YOU" but the economy...the no phone calls are the same...I think you will be persistent and will get back into employment.

Also...do NOT feel ashamed to collect unemployment...employers pay into the system the entire time you are employed based on the wages they paid you...and the money is there for situations just like yours!

I too was "let go" years ago from my first job out of college after almost 3 years, and it was horrible...but the firm was not a good match for my strengths...and I ended up at a firm with half the commute, and got paid more then I did at the other place with a fantastic boss...and I am STILL here 8 years later...

So keep your chin up, as hard as it is!

MissLianne, I completely understand what you are feeling. I was laid off in Sept 2008 from a job that provided me with all the things you stated. I also applied for a TON of jobs w/in the 1st 2-3 weeks (Excel spreadsheet and all). And I too, only received one phone call. At first, I was insulted (degree from top US school, executive mgmt training program, product development and strategic planning, marketing experience, etc...) and NOTHING!!! It really hit me hard at First and then I embraced it (sounds weird).

I stopped trying to compete w/myself (for some strange reason, I felt I had to prove my company wrong by getting a better job-you know to show them what they lost in an employee). The one call back I rec'vd was a very bad fit (long story) so I declined the job.

After I stopped grieving, I began to accept it and lastly enjoy it! For the first time (since college summer breaks) did I have real "free time". It took a bit of time to get used to. But I began to enjoy it (I read books, went to movies in the middle of the day and in the middle of the work week, I visited friends/family, I went for long walks, I would go to coffee shops and read magazines for hours, I slept in, etc...). Everyday was my FRIDAY! It didn't happen overnight but I embraced my unemployment because I knew it wouldn't last forever. I thought the next time I will get this type of "freedom" will be retirement.

Now, it took me 10 long months to find a job! Was it frustrating and painful, yes! But, looking back I wouldn't trade it for the world. You mentioned that this wasn't your "dream" job, well...now you have the opportunity to pursue it. I felt the same way about my last job. Now, I'm doing something I truly like and enjoy!

My advice:
-Continue to look for a job. But please find a way to enjoy the little bit of time you have "free"
-Collect your unemployement, it's not a hand-out! You paid into it from the time you started working, USE IT!!!
-Find supportive people and try not to stress.
-If you have money saved (cut spending), get your bills in order (if you feel like some bills might become late-call them and let them know you were laid off and see if they have reduced monthly payments/interest etc...).

And lastly, don't feel sorry for yourself! You will bounce back! I did and so can you!:ghi5:

Last edited:
Unemployment definitely makes you feel like crap. I've been unemployed almost a year now and have run out of benefits (make sure you apply). I started my own business and we're clipping along.

It's cliche but sometimes job loss is the best thing that can happen to you. The most important thing is to remember it's not about YOU, it's about the economy. Easier said than done, though.

My husband has been unemployed since July of 09. He recently took up a job delivering pizzas at a chain restaurant. He loves his job. He also applied about 100 times at positions, had management experiance and got this job just to do something.

Unemployment is not a bad thing as other's have posted. Never make yourself feel like that because bad things happen to good people! Just live and learn from the experiances.

^^ I agree. Unemployment is not a bad thing and it's nothing to be ashemad about especially in this day and age where layoffs are abound. Just keep looking nad don't lose hope. Think of unemployment as your source of income as you try get back into the workforce. After all, it's based off on what you made before right? So it's rightfully yours.

OP, I'm sorry to hear about your predicament.

In your own words, you are "able and willing to work... I'm young and energetic.... I went to a good school.... Have great previous experience with reputable companies.... Long reference list... ". You WILL find something, but be patient and hang in there. Lots of things going for you but it is a bad economy right now. Hang in there and I'm sure you will find something soon!

I read the job searching advice in the paper sometimes and it said in today's environment don't just apply to a million jobs online. Focus on jobs that you are really qualified for and network. Also, try to get a name and make a follow up call to the person doing the hiring.

Another thing you should try is signing up with every single temp agency in your city. I did that after losing my first job out of college. I did some pretty crappy jobs through temp agencies, but they paid the bills. Then I was sent to a company who only needed a $10 an hour receptionist for a week. Well, they liked me so much that they ended up hiring me full time for an awesome position that I loved! Working for that company was the best job I ever had before I went to law school. Which is another thing you can do- pursue an advanced degree. More education is never a bad thing.

You've gotten some great advice here. Use this time off wisely....there is always something to learn from any experience. You are a wonderful person regardless and your time will come.

I experienced your situation 12 years ago due to bankruptcy of the company I worked for - I was single then, nobody close to me, and was crying almost every day for months. Then, I started my own job, but I did not like it, as I wanted to do something else I was qualified for (no possibility to start such the type of company). After two years, it looked impossible to really ever work in my dream job. I was losing my peace and was getting more and more frustrated. One day, I was praying and started crying loudly...it happened that I got a call a day later and two days later I worked at my dream position!
I am not saying you should pray, I think you should not cry...contrary to it, learn to be patient and don't blame yourself. It all happens due to the current circumstances.
Don't ever forget - with your skills and attitude, your success is waiting in front of you, only you are not able to see it at this moment.
When you get older (as some of us are ;)), you will fully understand us, although it might be so difficult at the moment, I know.
The above posters are beautiful - wise ladies saying you the best things, you got so many useful replies. I was missing such the words in my situation so much... Big hugs

I was in a very similar situation last fall. I had a good, well paying job that I was laid off from. Like you I had never been unemployed before and had worked 2 jobs at times. When I first started looking for a job I was encouraged, there were many available in my field, and I knew I had a very solid resume. But then I kept applying and applying, getting very few calls back. I got a few interviews and job offers, but for less money than I wanted. I knew it was risky, but I turned them down. I had worked hard to make the salary I did. Then I applied for the position I have now. I have to tell you, I'm so much more satified and better paid then I was in my last! I wasn't anticipating my being laid off would be a good thing! So I just wanted to give you some encouragement!