Got called fat by a sales associate today, so that was fun

I'm going to play the devil's advocate and say don't be insulted. He said larger, not fat. You admit that you started the conversation by pointing out your large wrist size, so maybe he was continuing in that vein when he made his comment. I, too, have a large wrist, and many bracelets do not fit me. I seldom have to have links removed from watches- added yes. Rings in stores are always too small for me. I share your pain! (And my clothing size is bigger than yours)

I never even got started shopping at Tiffany's for the exact same reason. Every.single.time I went there it was like I was wearing an invisibility cloak. My best guess was that I was a lone female.........all the couples were assisted immediately. Never even got an acknowledgement of "be right with you" . I had finally found some Tiffany that spoke to me in the HardWear collection and I was fully committed to purchasing some pieces, but not after that.

Try going in a Tiffany’s in jeans and a T shirt. :nuts:
I guarantee you no one will bother to assist you at all.
I was looking for some pendants and charms and after about 15 minutes passed, so did I. :wave:
I’ll never shop in that store ever again! :mad:

Comment #2 Several years ago, a friend and I were shopping in NYC and went into Tiffany on 5th Ave. We were both prepared to spend some money! We were neatly dressed, in jeans and sweaters. Nothing special, but we did not look like slobs. We browsed all the counters and the sales associates ignored us. Not one of them stepped up and offered to assist us. There were customers in the store but plenty of sales associates were standing around and did not appear busy.

How bizarre! :eek:
Comment #2 Several years ago, a friend and I were shopping in NYC and went into Tiffany on 5th Ave. We were both prepared to spend some money! We were neatly dressed, in jeans and sweaters. Nothing special, but we did not look like slobs. We browsed all the counters and the sales associates ignored us. Not one of them stepped up and offered to assist us. There were customers in the store but plenty of sales associates were standing around and did not appear busy.

Reactions: RT1
I'm going to play the devil's advocate and say don't be insulted. He said larger, not fat. You admit that you started the conversation by pointing out your large wrist size, so maybe he was continuing in that vein when he made his comment. I, too, have a large wrist, and many bracelets do not fit me. I seldom have to have links removed from watches- added yes. Rings in stores are always too small for me. I share your pain! (And my clothing size is bigger than yours)

Nah, the obvious body-shaming and sexist attitude of this SA is deplorable and he knows what he was saying. File a customer complaint with Tiffany, emphasize the large purchase lost that you eagerly spent elsewhere (hell, tell them you went to Harry Winston), and do not feel shamed. Money talks, and Tiffany knows they're tanking...

What a jerk!!! Seriously, how dare he speak to anyone like that! He’s obviously
a few brain cells short of a picnic too as body size doesn’t always equate with wrist/finger size. I am also currently a UK 16 but I wear a size 18 Love cuff and would be a 17 in the full bracelet. I’ve always been curvy but had relatively small
wrists.

I would be devastated if anyone spoke to me the way this SA did to you, I’m so sorry you had to go through that. Please don’t let this stupid oaf put you off the brand though. If you live in or near London I can highly recommend the Royal
Exchange branch of Tiffany, I have always had fantastic customer service there. There will always be rude and misinformed people everywhere, sadly it’s all too common these days.

OP, if you like the bracelet don’t let anyone put you off. It’s the object you’re after not a friendship.
Secondly, staff in high end boutiques can be either extremely polite or polite but snooty and that’s the way it is and unless you make a complaint things won’t change. I don’t like it, but shopping around Bond Street often this pattern seems to repeat.
If I have to I will pretend not to even notice snootiness and just get on with my business. I can also be more snooty than the snoot so that gives me extra confidence :biggrin: In some cases, and especially if the person’s English wasn’t their first language, they might come across a bit rough on the edges. Also depends on how friendly you are, the more aloof a customer the more polite the service I’ve noticed. You draw a line.
Please don’t feel bad about this experience or about yourself.

I am hopping mad and agree with the majority of the posters who think you are absolutely correct and acted beautifully and that SA is a grade-A jerk who should be fired.
I will add that my husband strolled into the Fifth Avenue Tiffany’s 20 years ago and went upstairs to the engagement ring floor fully expecting to buy my engagement ring. It was a Saturday and his only “day off” as he’s a cardiologist and doesn’t have a lot of time.
He waited and when an SA finally was able to help him, she showed him tiny rings (without asking first what he wanted to spend) and added that he could “always trade-up” later on down the road! She also told him they could provide financing.
Talk about a bunch of assumptions on her part!
He was really upset because he considered it a big investment, was ready to purchase outright and knew I favored Tiffany. Furthermore, he wanted it to be right the first time.
He promptly left and spent his $25k at another jewelers and I am proud of him.
He told me afterward that he had treated himself to a croissant before walking in the store and after he left he noticed he had those flaky crumbs stuck down the front of his shirt! But other than things like crumbs and the occasional coffee stain, I would describe him as an overall natty dresser, if slightly distracted at times.
But that doesn’t excuse the obviously condescending SA’s behavior!

OP, if you like the bracelet don’t let anyone put you off. It’s the object you’re after not a friendship.
Secondly, staff in high end boutiques can be either extremely polite or polite but snooty and that’s the way it is and unless you make a complaint things won’t change. I don’t like it, but shopping around Bond Street often this pattern seems to repeat.
If I have to I will pretend not to even notice snootiness and just get on with my business. I can also be more snooty than the snoot so that gives me extra confidence :biggrin: In some cases, and especially if the person’s English wasn’t their first language, they might come across a bit rough on the edges. Also depends on how friendly you are, the more aloof a customer the more polite the service I’ve noticed. You draw a line.
Please don’t feel bad about this experience or about yourself.

I was prepared to post the same - but why would anyone buy a luxury good, for £15k no less, and every time think when they wear it, wow that SA was rude. Logic says that someone should have placed him in front of a mirror - self-reflection is a good thing. Men, especially of that generation, are not good at it, but happy to share their insights where they are not wanted - I work with a bunch of them, and sometimes give them a WTF look and they check themselves - they still live in pre-me-too, or any social change, times. SAs are snooty as a personal defence mechanism, plus on Bond street they probably see customers that make them think they are just as fancy or famous. I have nothing against SAs, but just chill, will ya. You are a sales person. full stop. act like it. might be a good idea to look around and see the huge drops in sales in Q2 of this year.

Another thing I remembered about the Bond Street store.. we tried to book an appointment via the tiffany website to look at engagement rings, and I asked my fiancé to put in his budget and the styles I was interested in trying on in the text box. No one ever even responded to it.. tells you all you need to know about the staff at Old Bond Street. It’s a beautiful building but I only visit now to look at the range of homeware and accessories because they have better choice than other stores in London.

This.

And I see nothing wrong with his statement as the subject was crearly pointed out by the customer and he actually just confirmed.
Unwise? Sure. But where did he call her fat?
The heading is a clickbait :biggrin:
PS: Why does it matter if the SA is overweight and "older"?