Got an Hermes... Don't feel happy?

Jul 14, 2010
So during the summer I really wanted a Kelly but my Mum wouldn't let me have one because I'm "too young".
But through a lot of convincing, Mum gave me her black Togo 30 Birkin and Togo 32 Kelly.. And I was happy for awhile.. but then it hit me.. I have nothing else to strive for.
I thought I genuinely wanted an Hermes for the quality and craftsmanship, but maybe I just wanted it because it is the ultimate handbag.
I'm 18, and maybe I should have waited until I was 40 or something, or should have gotten it with my own money.
Now I'm over Hermes and looking for another Chanel bag to fill this void. Maybe I'm just being mopey but now I really understand the ladies who are happy because they bought it with their own hard work.

=( i understand how you may feel that way. i know that in the future i would like an hermes; i just turned 19 in september and got my first chanel. my parents usually pay for my things, but i decided that i was going to work and earn my first chanel, and it makes me more appreciative. it also holds more value, you know? maybe if you start working for your own bags, they'll mean more to you too. you're very lucky to have what you have and i hope you enjoy everything in happiness and in good health : )

Maybe it's the color?

Also, we girls tend to get on a high until we get that "it" bag and then after a while there's another "it" bag on the list.

Don't worry, just rotate your bags. Besides you won't be done with being a handbag lover just because you got your "ultimate"

^I know how you feel! The bags I've been wanting are getting pricier and pricier and it seems that once you've attained a certain price point you're not willing to settle for the "cheaper" ones already or they don't give you as much joy as the pricier ones (Hermes, Chanel). But I am looking at the bags in terms of craftsmanship, etc so it's really hard to "downgrade" from a really expensive one (which obviously has better quality) to the much more affordable ones. Well lucky for me, I haven't been bitten by the Hermes bug yet so my ultimate bag is still a Chanel which I know I will never get enough of.

My first ever designer bag was bought with my own money... And i think that makes me appreciated it a lot more then if my parents would have payed for it... and its actually fun to want a bag and save for it, cuz the closer you are to having the money the more you get excited :biggrin:

I totally see where you're coming from. I suggest you put it aside and just not use it....admire it occasionally of course :smile: Slowly build your bag collection then go back to it at a later time.

i know exactly what you mean, I'm 20, and I've turned down offers frm my mum about buying a chanel jumbo for me, i'd rather save my way to a bag, that way when i get it, it's all mine, just makes me feel much happier :biggrin:

maybe you could return it to your mum, borrow it once in a while and save up to something...*shrugs*

You're lucky to have had the "it" bags others would want to have.
Be thankful for your mom's gifts. Maybe you'd want to save for a bag you really like, then you'd feel more appreciative.

I did not know of Hermes and Chanel at your age and can't recall how I fell in love with Chanel, but I did back in the 80s at the time I was fully ensconsed in black, going to see bands like the Ramones, Alex Chilton, Tom Verlaine -- toting a Chanel bucket purse. Life was getting by, enjoying music and art. Wasn't until my late 30s that my first new classic flap came to me. (Oh, the bucket bag was found in a consignment shop as were a lot of great pieces).

The thrill is very much in the hunt, the yearning and saving, at least it was and still is for me. I can't relate to having things fall into my lap but I wouldn't want them to either. Things worth having are worth waiting for. It makes them so much more special. I get to do the happy dance for a very long time.

Maybe you should give the purses back to your mom with hug and say thanks, would you save them for me for later. . .

I did not know of Hermes and Chanel at your age and can't recall how I fell in love with Chanel, but I did back in the 80s at the time I was fully ensconsed in black, going to see bands like the Ramones, Alex Chilton, Tom Verlaine -- toting a Chanel bucket purse. Life was getting by, enjoying music and art. Wasn't until my late 30s that my first new classic flap came to me. (Oh, the bucket bag was found in a consignment shop as were a lot of great pieces).

The thrill is very much in the hunt, the yearning and saving, at least it was and still is for me. I can't relate to having things fall into my lap but I wouldn't want them to either. Things worth having are worth waiting for. It makes them so much more special. I get to do the happy dance for a very long time.

Maybe you should give the purses back to your mom with hug and say thanks, would you save them for me for later. . .

^perfect. I didn't know of Chanel or Hermes at 20 either. I have a few nice things and I worked to pay for all of them. Gifts are nice, don't get me wrong and such expensive gifts should be revered. I bought my first Chancel a couple of months ago and felt like such a big girl. It was great, so great I didn't want to open the box it was so nicely wrapped and I didn't until one week later when I returned home from Italy.

:goodpost: My thoughts exactly. Couldn't have said it any better.

I think it's because your mom GAVE it to you as opposed to you getting it for yourself.

Saving, hunting and in the end, buying it with my own sweet hard-earned money (probably some sweat and tears involved as well ! :P ) makes it that much more worthwhile. And when I hold it in my arms, I always know what was involved in the actual process...

Totally agree with Oonik! Don't get me wrong, I love presents (who doesnt!) but somehow handbags are different...so many times my bf/now husband asked me 'should I get a handbag for you for christmas/birthday/etc..?' and everytime I reply 'if I want a bag, i can get it myself. from you, I treasure the hugs and kisses more than a handbag...'. I just love choosing, agonising, searching and paying for the bag myself...it makes me very excited and very happy... There is only one Chanel which he paid for, and it was bought from Venice during our honeymoon (it felt right that he paid for that). But of cos...he does give me presents, jewellery, watches etc..just not handbags :smile:

But everyone is different...you're so young (at least to me who's in my early 30s)...one day, you will know what makes you 'click'! It may very well be handbags from your husband! :smile: