Workplace Got a new job and college denied my degree..

I will say this, op. Please be proactive in getting this done. You worked hard for your degree, and you need to do one more thing. They aren't going to tell you to "do another degree". Did you not know about your gpa or about the requirement when you applied for graduation?

Ever if it has no bearing on your job, which it shouldn't, you worked for it. Don't shortchange yourself now.

So I am absolutely freaking the hell out right now.. I graduated from college about two weeks ago with my BA in english literature. Awesome. I've worked hard for it and overcame a lot but got my act together in the last year and made it happen.

the not so awesome part? i got an email today from the school saying I need to enroll for fall and my application for graduation had been denied because I needed a 2.5 within my major requirements to graduate. I have a 2.47.

WTF!!!! i have been a crying mess all morning. my whole family and all of our friends were so happy for me and excited that i was finally finishing college, and now this bomb is dropped on me. all of my major requirements have been passed and completed and i cannot retake any of those so i have no idea what my options are. I'm still waiting to hear from my advisor but to know that i was so so so close is just heartbreaking. I hope it doesn't mean i have to pursue a new degree or something..

i have a new job now too that i start monday. i got the connection through a friend and the CEO of that portion of the company really liked me. He knew i was a week away from finishing school when we met so he's assuming i'm a graduate. technically, i did not fill out any sort of application so i didn't "lie," but i still feel like a fraud anyway and am not sure if i should tell him that there was a mistake in my graduating.. my last day at my current employer is today and i don't want this to get ruined because of what happened in school.

please help. i'm so lost and confused and devastated over all of this. it's really killing me right now.. like, three tenths. really?? :cry:

OP you should also ask about the appeals process before simply registering for another class. I work at a University and you would be astonished how frequently this happens. Degree conferral can be a complex process and sometimes you need to talk with the registrars office. A kind soul with a warm heart in the registrars office is the best bet when pleading your case. Don't give up and don't just let anyone push you into more classes. Trust me, this can and will be worked out and fingers are crossed it will be in your favor so you can move ahead and focus on your exciting new career opportunity! :smile:

OP you should also ask about the appeals process before simply registering for another class. I work at a University and you would be astonished how frequently this happens. Degree conferral can be a complex process and sometimes you need to talk with the registrars office. A kind soul with a warm heart in the registrars office is the best bet when pleading your case. Don't give up and don't just let anyone push you into more classes. Trust me, this can and will be worked out and fingers are crossed it will be in your favor so you can move ahead and focus on your exciting new career opportunity! :smile:

Thank you so much! It makes me feel better about the situation hearing it from someone who works in the university system. I'm very very scared about what the outcome may be but I guess on my lunch tomorrow I'll make a few phone calls since my advisor has not responded to my email yet. I'm sure she is inundated since fall semester seems to be the busiest time of the year. I really hope you're right about this and it works out :smile:

I will say this, op. Please be proactive in getting this done. You worked hard for your degree, and you need to do one more thing. They aren't going to tell you to "do another degree". Did you not know about your gpa or about the requirement when you applied for graduation?

Ever if it has no bearing on your job, which it shouldn't, you worked for it. Don't shortchange yourself now.

Thanks nooch. I definitely don't want to procrastinate on this and i want to get it done and get that peace of mind. I did not know about the GPA requirement for the core classes within your degree, just the overall and the university GPA. My family spent thousands of dollars on my education and I cannot let it go to waste by not tying up these loose ends. and plus, it's wearing on my conscious, knowing that everyone thinks i'm done but now i know the unfortunate truth :cry: it really does bother me. my friend who got me the connection to my new employer said i'm still a graduate in his eyes and i worked my butt off and passed everything that i was asked to pass and just got dealt a really sh*tty hand with this technicality. I just want it all taken care of as soon as possible

By the way, I meant to add I have been an HR Manager/Director for over 18 years and I agree with other posters. If the position is not a licensed or govt job or something similar don't worry about it. I have never been asked or had to check a degree and you weren't dishonest. Please just finish as soon as you can (for yourself and future jobs). I am so happy you landed a job right out of school:smile:

thank you for your input :smile: today was my first day and I had to fill out a ton of paperwork including what would've been a job application.. I hesitated on the education part, but i did put down i finished college, and as soon as I have a plan as to what the next step is, i think it'd be best if i printed my transcripts and filled in my new boss with what the issue is, and what my solution to the problem is. my friend who got me the connection said he will be understanding as long as i present a solution to the issue and it does not interfere with my work. any thoughts?

I agree with your friend. Unless you are being licensed, working as an independent, or your prospective employer has a very structured HR department (usually larger companies), please don't stress yourself out over temporarily not having your degree. Absolutely do what you need to do to get it ASAP, but it's not the end all of your employment existence if it's in limbo for a while. You did work very hard for it and this is BS that they won't confer it because of a technicality. Unfortunately, welcome to the working world. You'll be dealing with nonsense and people without common sense frequently. But we all get through it and so will you. Congratulations again! :woohoo:

thanks :smile: i had a really good first day so fingers crossed i get my school stuff sorted out asap and i don't have to sweat this out. it's really weighing heavily on my mind

thank you for your input :smile: today was my first day and I had to fill out a ton of paperwork including what would've been a job application.. I hesitated on the education part, but i did put down i finished college, and as soon as I have a plan as to what the next step is, i think it'd be best if i printed my transcripts and filled in my new boss with what the issue is, and what my solution to the problem is. my friend who got me the connection said he will be understanding as long as i present a solution to the issue and it does not interfere with my work. any thoughts?

Now I have to ask the important ques haha :smile: What bag did you wear and what outfit?? How exciting, I hope you are ok. You worked so hard, you really deserve this opportunity:smile:

Now I have to ask the important ques haha :smile: What bag did you wear and what outfit?? How exciting, I hope you are ok. You worked so hard, you really deserve this opportunity:smile:

thank you very much :hugs: i'm doing okay so far :smile:

i wore a grey calvin klein skirt suit with a blue shell and these black antonio melani pumps i scored for $25 at dillards! and my mom let me borrow her black michael kors leather satchel until i can afford to invest in a nice structured bag for work :smile: i must admit i think i looked the part of a serious software sales rep :cool:

thank you very much :hugs: i'm doing okay so far :smile:

i wore a grey calvin klein skirt suit with a blue shell and these black antonio melani pumps i scored for $25 at dillards! and my mom let me borrow her black michael kors leather satchel until i can afford to invest in a nice structured bag for work :smile: i must admit i think i looked the part of a serious software sales rep :cool:
How wonderful, your mom has to be so very proud of you:smile: It really is such a wonderful accomplishment:smile: Again a HUGE Congrats!!

thanks :smile: i had a really good first day so fingers crossed i get my school stuff sorted out asap and i don't have to sweat this out. it's really weighing heavily on my mind

Don't let it. Hard to do I know but you really won't even remember it one day and even laugh about it then. Just do what you need to do to solve the problem (and it will happen sooner than you think) and don't forget to enjoy the brand new world you've stepped out into. That's wonderful that you enjoy your first job. I hope it continues and I'm sure they like you just as much. Keep your head up! :smile:

Did you actually put down that you received a degree??!?

Understand that in some companies, generally larger ones, this is grounds for termination or being removed from consideration for a job. It doesn't matter that your boss knows the real situation because you signed the statement at the end of the the application that all information you provided was true to the best of your knowledge and it is ultimately your responsibility (see my previous post on this thread about a guy whose boss actually told him to put down that he finished his degree when he actually didn't; guy was let go when HR found out the truth, boss stayed). It is best to be truthful on official documents. You should still explain the situation and your plan to your boss and he and HR can decide whether not having a degree right now makes a difference to them. If, as you suspect, it is not a necessary part of the job, then they'll likely not be bothered that you still have one more class to take, but your boss and HR (who represent the company) should be allowed to make that decision.

Why not put down "degree expected Dec 2014 (or whatever timeframe)"? This is a common and accepted practice for soon to be graduating students looking for or going into their first job.

Last edited:
Take one class in the fall. GET THE DEGREE .THERE IS NO QUESTION. This job may not even require it but future jobs might. I'm sure your advisor can help you pick a class.
If you can appeal go ahead I don't know much about that though.

I think you should call the HR dept or the person you gave the application to and just tell them that you have one more class to complete before you will have your degree.
If it's the truth say when you applied you were expecting the degree to be complete but you just found out that you need to take one more class. I would not mention your GPA being too low.

Ask if you should fill out a new application with the estimated degree date corrected or ask the HR person to addendum it for you on your application. You can also mention to HR, "please make anyone else who needs to know about this addendum aware, thank you".

Well I still have not heard back from the university so I'm going to call after my meeting and see if I can make an appointment. I talked to my CEO's second in command because I've just been fraught with worry over all of this mess. I went to him first since I don't want to go to the CEO without a solution to the problem. He assured me that things are going to be okay and that HR probably won't check my schooling or anything. I did tell him that I said the degree is listed as complete on the app and I did complete the coursework but the gpa technicality is holding me back. I said I was concerned about the possibility of HR thinking I falsified a document and telling my boss first before I even get a chance to rectify the situation. So he told me not to worry and he'd talk to CEO and give him the heads up and that I'm actively working towards a solution and I'd let him know when I have it. He said it will be okay and that it's good I came to them first before HR does or might. That way the CEO knows I'm not hiding anything and if the HR girl does approach him it'll be a non issue since he's aware of it

Well I still have not heard back from the university so I'm going to call after my meeting and see if I can make an appointment. I talked to my CEO's second in command because I've just been fraught with worry over all of this mess. I went to him first since I don't want to go to the CEO without a solution to the problem. He assured me that things are going to be okay and that HR probably won't check my schooling or anything. I did tell him that I said the degree is listed as complete on the app and I did complete the coursework but the gpa technicality is holding me back. I said I was concerned about the possibility of HR thinking I falsified a document and telling my boss first before I even get a chance to rectify the situation. So he told me not to worry and he'd talk to CEO and give him the heads up and that I'm actively working towards a solution and I'd let him know when I have it. He said it will be okay and that it's good I came to them first before HR does or might. That way the CEO knows I'm not hiding anything and if the HR girl does approach him it'll be a non issue since he's aware of it

Just to cover yourself -- put your conversation with him in writing. Document it so it doesn't potentially bite you later on.

Just to cover yourself -- put your conversation with him in writing. Document it so it doesn't potentially bite you later on.

Thanks for the tip. So how do I do that the right way though? I always hear of people doing that, but do I type up something saying he and I spoke on the 27th regarding my degree conferment as listed on my app and have him sign it?