got a job! moving to IOWA!

I'm from the Midwest and would love to move to Iowa after I graduate! Iowa gets a bad rep sometimes for being boring cornfields, but southern Iowa is beautiful farm country. Ames, IA is the home of Special Olympics, so if you're near there and interested in volunteering, you can help with the games. IA is also a great place to pursue my favorite hobby, biking. There's a bike across Iowa event every summer. Plus you can visit the Field of Dreams! My bf rolls his eyes every time I talk about wanting to end up in Iowa, but I would love it. Plus you can always shop online. Good luck with your new job!

not quite yet! I'll be driving into des moines and staying there for the first week or so, and then they'll have a location for me. but thanks for checking up on it - i'll definitely let you know when i find out for sure!! :smile:

i'm freaking out though...i'm leaving day after tomorrow and i haven't packed yet!! :wtf: i've been so busy!

I'm from the Midwest and would love to move to Iowa after I graduate! Iowa gets a bad rep sometimes for being boring cornfields, but southern Iowa is beautiful farm country. Ames, IA is the home of Special Olympics, so if you're near there and interested in volunteering, you can help with the games. IA is also a great place to pursue my favorite hobby, biking. There's a bike across Iowa event every summer. Plus you can visit the Field of Dreams! My bf rolls his eyes every time I talk about wanting to end up in Iowa, but I would love it. Plus you can always shop online. Good luck with your new job!

definitely true - i'm a huge online shopper anyway. i'll definitely check out the special olympics opportunities - thanks for letting me know! i always love to hear of new opportunities to volunteer! i'm excited about iowa - it will be completely different from everything i'm used to on the east coast, but i'm definitely looking forward to enjoying the outdoors...i was a runner (had some recent knee issues so i haven't run in about six months) and i'm looking forward to getting back into that! good luck with moving back!!

So I have an update! I drove out on Saturday and reached just yesterday. I'll be located in Des Moines. I have an apartment already (which is ridiculously cheap) and everyone is so friendly! I think this will be a good time :smile:

Wow that's all quick!! Sounds like a good start!!

good thing about moving away from a big city is the lower cost of living =)

Glad people are friendly to you and you have good vibes about it :yes:

it's such a great opportunity and experience as well!!

Keep the updates coming!

So I have an update! I drove out on Saturday and reached just yesterday. I'll be located in Des Moines. I have an apartment already (which is ridiculously cheap) and everyone is so friendly! I think this will be a good time :smile:

Oh Wow! I'm just now seeing this! This is a SUPER opportunity for you! Take the paycut. You will come out with great experience and with that experience you can upgrade your pay in the future! I live in the DC Metro Area--Northern Va actually. The atmosphere is fun and exciting. I know a lot of people working in the political arena. My nephew works on The Hill...he's a lawyer. You will be better prepared for DC if you come with experience! And just think of the great reference you will have!! Good Luck to you!

Congratulations on your move and your new apt.!!!

Welcome to the midwest! I really like it and will miss it a lot when my move to NYC is complete. I really like DM and I'm sure you will like it, too. You are not far from Minneapolis, so consider visiting to come to our meeting in a couple of weeks! TPFers from around the area are meeting at the Mall of America (more info. on the top link). Enjoy Iowa!