Gorgeous BV dress: Should I or shouldn't I?

ricera

Apr 22, 2008
So I tried on the most amazing dress today. It fits wonderfully and its perfect in every way. My DH is totally supportive and he thinks I should get it. However, I have never spent this much on a piece of clothing before now. :wtf: I have bought accessories that are this expensive, but somehow, I can rationalize that more. Also, it will break a precedent. I remember when my price limits, and standards, for shoes and bags were much lower. But I know what true quality is, I find myself gravitating towards "the finer things." I balance this by buying less and making sure everything I get is something I truly love and something that I can wear so much that I get my money's worth. But would a dress like this hold up for a 100+ wears? I'd like to think so, but I just don't know. And if I break this barrier, is there any going back? (Maybe that's not such a bad thing. :graucho:) I feel like I'm crazy for considering it, but I also feel like I'm crazy for not buying it. So ladies and gents: what do you think? :shrugs:

By the way, the pictures are from net-a-porter but I would be buying it from a brick and mortar store nearby.

Attachments

• 35484_bk_l.jpg
    35484_bk_l.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 35484_fr_l.jpg
    35484_fr_l.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 158
You mentioned that it fits perfectly, and that you will possibly wear this 100+ times if it holds out. IMO, the details on that dress is really pretty, and while I too, have barriers that I haven't managed to break, especially with ready-to-wear as compared to accessories - bags and shoes, a BV dress might be the tipping point for me, if it were to fit me as perfectly as this dress fits on you.

Maybe you can sit on this for a couple of days? And if say, you're still fantasizing about this dress after a week, then I say GO FOR IT!

I really like the detailing of that dress too but understand the price barrier when it comes to clothes.

Why don't you mull over it a couple more days. A good fitting dress is hard to come by but unlike bags, it will take you a much longer time to chalk up 100 wears on a dress. Imagine if you wear it twice a month, you will only wear it ~24 times a year.

Lovely dress! It is distinctive .. I mean, not a basic black dress .. people will notice with that detailing. That's the thing about buying at this level when funds are not unlimited .. be sure you will be ok with wearing something more often.
(Sometimes I ask myself if I am willing to remove four (or however many) other things from my wardrobe.)

if it fits perfectly buy it. you will wear it often. i find i buy stuff at forever 21 because i think it is cheap, and then it is cheap KWIM? buying something that fits perfectly and is extremely well made like this BV dress will last forever and then can be worn forever.... and is classical enough that it will never go out of style.

i wish i were taller and could wear BV. ricera if you do buy this dress, you HAVE to post pix! please!!!!

Somehow, I also do spend a lot more on accessories and shoes than on clothing, but once in a while, when I stumble over a truly gorgeous and classic piece, I usually go for it, telling me that it's going to be a staple in my wardrobe. And this dress looks like one. The shape and length are timeless (and I can only imagine how flattering and shaping those little lapels at the hips are) and I think even if you grew tired of it just for a moment, there will be other times when you remember it and dig it out. Actually, I'm too young to experience that myself, but I know of many pieces my mom didn't wear for months or even years and suddenly wears them a lot again.

If you do get it, I can't wait to see pics!

I have this black dress that I've been wearing for 22+ years. It wasn't super expensive but not so cheap either (I don't remember the price but I certainly couldn't afford anything more than 200USD even for a greatest dress back then). It is so simple with just a bit of flair, very well made, and really flattering that I've worn it gazillions of times and gotten compliments everytime I wear it. I sure didn't expect it to last this long when I bought it, but it's set my standard and I think of it everytime I try a new dress. As Tomas Maier said, “I prefer to have very little, but it has to be exactly the right thing.”

So, I'd say think about it a bit more, and go for it if you love it and can afford it. Oh, and if you get it, we'd expect TONS of action shots please!!!:biggrin:

ricera, I recently dealt with your same dilemma. I tried on a BV dress that fit me like it was made for me. Not only was the SA telling me "that is your dress," but so were several shoppers wandering around the store. I could buy the dress, but could I rationalize the purchase? Let's look at one of your major concerns: Can you get your money's worth? The dress is a classic, chic, unusual black dress. Never go out of style. It is lightweight jersey wool so you can wear it year-round. Though the back is stunning, change its look by adding a beautiful jacket, shawl, silk top, gorgious blouse over it, leave the top unbuttoned, belt it so you look like you are wearing a skirt with beautiful lattice work top, which is the natural front of the dress. Consider wearing short boots, higher books, pumps or very dressy sandals. Wear it day or night. So, you can create many looks, certainly get your money's worth here. Wool jersey holds up nicely. I am sure you are the type that takes very good care of your clothes. Take it to the finest dry cleaner. What is the value of this dress to you? Do you easily find unusual, classic black dresses that fit perfectly? If you are still questioning balance and breaking the barrier issues, check with NAP, BV stores, etc. and try and get an idea of how many of these dresses are left in your size and decide if you want to wait it out to see if it goes on sale. Even during a sale, a good SA can always call around and order the dress from another store. Yes, there is a risk, but it may be the tie breaker.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone!!! I really appreciate it. This was such a scary decision and it was so wonderful to hear from all of you about your thoughts and experiences. My DH has been teasing me to "do the right thing" and just get it. I did some research and the dress has been rapidly selling out- I couldn't find it anywhere else in my size. The store could actually hold it for only a day. While I was there trying it on, a woman saw me in it and liked it so much that she bought one for herself. (No, I did not get a commission.:P) Last night and this morning, I was weighing the pros and cons and just getting used to the idea. I have thought very seriously about it and I made a decision...
It now hangs in my closet, treasured and adored, but ready for years of use.:cloud9:
No one ever needs to know how much I paid, or that it is by BV. It is what it is, and I will do that dress, and everyone who had a hand in making it, the honor of wearing it as long as I can. And if it lasts me a long time, and serves me well, then it will be one of the best purchases I have ever made. Time will tell, but I'm counting on it.
Thanks again everybody for all of the help. I really listened to what you had to say, and everyone had some great points that helped me evaluate the situation more clearly. And most of all, thank you for not judging. I promise, action pics are coming.
And one more time: THANK YOU!!!!:love: :smooch:

:yahoo: Congratulations on your fabulous acquisition!! I started tearing up as I read your post... I'm sure the dress is going to be your staple piece and will look fantastic with any BV purse too.

Now, onto your action pics!!

PS: Be careful with soy sauce, OK?:biggrin:

Last edited:
doloresmia, I did not buy the dress. I am taking the chance, with the declining economy, that the dress will go on sale and still be available in my size. Such a risk. I know that BV only makes so many in each size. There are a few other BV outfits I have my eyes on as well.