Tech Google Fibre anyone?

Google Fibre?

• Have it, love it!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • What is it?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can get it today, I just choose not to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want it, but I'm not in the service area!

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

mcmug17

O.G.
Feb 14, 2006
I am thrilled to be a Webpass user. Webpass was bought by Google Fibre so it's all one big family now. Internet is now fast, stable, and cheap.

Recently, the building where my rental property is in, was selected to have fibre installed, courtesy of Webpass. Residents need to sign up to let them enter their units to do some wiring work, for free. Being a happy customer already, I of course immediately jumped at the opportunity.

On the day of installation, my tenant wasn't around, so I went there to make sure the data closet is prepped. I met with the technician and we chatted for a bit, telling him how excited I am about the service, and assumed that _everybody_ signed up and he must be super busy. To my surprise, he said only maybe half of the units (about 110) signed up.

I'm quite stunned. You hear people complaining about ISP monopoly, horrible customer service, horrible products, costs, etc. Yet when an opportunity opens up, people don't seem that interested. :confused1:

Or... are you in a Google Fibre covered area and chose not to get their service? I'm curious to know why.

OMG, I wish I had it in my area. Would get it in a heartbeat if I could. One of my coworkers who works remote and it's so insanely fast. The only thing I can think of is lack of awareness, maybe? What type of marketing did they do in your area?

OMG, I wish I had it in my area. Would get it in a heartbeat if I could. One of my coworkers who works remote and it's so insanely fast. The only thing I can think of is lack of awareness, maybe? What type of marketing did they do in your area?

No marketing.

We bought a condo in a new construction last year. I thought I was going to have to make the dreaded decision between Comcast or Fios again. Then as I was reading through the residents handbook I realized that there's a third option, which was Webpass! Not much review online, and I would be one of the first people in my town to have it. Talk about leap of faith.

After I moved in, I received maybe 2 flyers from Webpass, but I'd consistently receive Comcast mail every few weeks.

The thing is, they don't want to install the service where there're less than 50 units in the building, so they probably figured they don't want to draw unintended attention. When it was my rental's turn to get the service installed, it was all through the building management. I'm not sure if residents get flyers in the mail or not. But yea, that's pretty much all the "marketing" they're doing - word of mouth and flyers.

I don't know, I guess I find it really odd. Just because there are new wires installed doesn't mean you're obligated to buy their service. However, the apartment is now upgraded and future-proof, for free. Why would anyone reject the offer?

No marketing.

We bought a condo in a new construction last year. I thought I was going to have to make the dreaded decision between Comcast or Fios again. Then as I was reading through the residents handbook I realized that there's a third option, which was Webpass! Not much review online, and I would be one of the first people in my town to have it. Talk about leap of faith.

After I moved in, I received maybe 2 flyers from Webpass, but I'd consistently receive Comcast mail every few weeks.

The thing is, they don't want to install the service where there're less than 50 units in the building, so they probably figured they don't want to draw unintended attention. When it was my rental's turn to get the service installed, it was all through the building management. I'm not sure if residents get flyers in the mail or not. But yea, that's pretty much all the "marketing" they're doing - word of mouth and flyers.

I don't know, I guess I find it really odd. Just because there are new wires installed doesn't mean you're obligated to buy their service. However, the apartment is now upgraded and future-proof, for free. Why would anyone reject the offer?
So weird. Seems like people are more distrustful of a company thay've never heard of than one that regularly gives them the runaround? I guess if you're not familiar though, a company offering lower-priced, faster, better technology would sound too good to be true, maybe?