Goodbye to my purses...

LaVisioneer

Apr 3, 2018
Hi eveyone,

So covid-19 pandemic has really changed my relationship with purses and I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same:

Now that social activities mostly consists of going on long walks outside, I don’t really have a need for any of my nice bags anymore.

About a year ago my health changed and I now need to carry around more medical supplies than I used to. So since then, I have barely used any of my cute small bags- which used to be all that I carried!

Now, if I’m walking outside for a long time, my back and shoulders hurt if I need to carry a heavy bag, and I have just been using small back packs. Plus now carrying hand sanitizer, masks etc, I just need a practical lightweight bag.

So I feel really bummed that my lovely little collection of purses (all except 2 that I haven’t had the time to sell) that I genuinely adore is just sitting around collecting dust :/

What’s a girl to do? Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Hi there. Sorry about your health issues. Hope it's nothing chronic or too bad.
I also recently lost interest in bags. Meaning for the first time for a long while I am not interested in purchasing anything new. But I make a point of using the ones I own when possible. I would say forget about them for now but don't get rid of anything. The pandemic won't last forever (even though at the moment it seems like it). Wait until things get back to normal, I would say next summer and then see how you feel. Now the vaccines are out, we can see light at the end of the tunnel:flowers:

I'm sorry to hear about your health condition, and I hope you will be able to feel better soon. I also think that I have too many bags and feel like sending some for consignment. @babypanda I loved your optimistic post about things getting back to normal by next summer. I can't wait to see this virus defeated.
I know at the moment it feels like this is going to be our life forever. But yes I am optimistic. Being a doctor I believe in science. Humans have defeated so many diseases and we will defeat this one. Scientists expect cases to be down to almost 0 in the US after 6 months. So let's stay optimistic and have patience in the coming weeks :smile:

I know at the moment it feels like this is going to be our life forever. But yes I am optimistic. Being a doctor I believe in science. Humans have defeated so many diseases and we will defeat this one. Scientists expect cases to be down to almost 0 in the US after 6 months. So let's stay optimistic and have patience in the coming weeks :smile:
Thank you for this encouraging post. :tup:
We all need to believe in this and stay positive. :hugs:

Hi eveyone,

So covid-19 pandemic has really changed my relationship with purses and I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same:

Now that social activities mostly consists of going on long walks outside, I don’t really have a need for any of my nice bags anymore.

About a year ago my health changed and I now need to carry around more medical supplies than I used to. So since then, I have barely used any of my cute small bags- which used to be all that I carried!

Now, if I’m walking outside for a long time, my back and shoulders hurt if I need to carry a heavy bag, and I have just been using small back packs. Plus now carrying hand sanitizer, masks etc, I just need a practical lightweight bag.

So I feel really bummed that my lovely little collection of purses (all except 2 that I haven’t had the time to sell) that I genuinely adore is just sitting around collecting dust :/

What’s a girl to do? Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Am so sorry to hear about your health issues, and I hope you feel better soon. Agree with other posters like @babypanda, @RT1 and @keodi that hopefully this state of affairs will not last forever, especially with vaccines on the horizon. So, fingers crossed that you will be able to use some of your larger bags soon! Hugs

I only go out to walk my dog (I do wear a mask) and to occasionally go to Walgreen's. I'm also working from home so all my favorite bags along with everything else are just gathering dust. I will sell a few bags but at some point things will open back up again. I've also been taking all my time at home to do some serious organizing. The Container Store is making a ton of money from me these days!

I am a firm believer in not getting rid of a bag till you are over the bag. You look at it and sorta can't stand it or just don't remember why you even liked it in the first place. Life changes too much and you will cycle from big to little depending on where you are at. So if you love a bag, keep it till life brings you the opportunity to carry it again.

I'm so sorry for your health struggles. I will say I actually have a renewed interest in bags, but I'm discovering that I'm really focused on bags that come from companies I'd be proud to work for - places that take an interest in social responsibility and have a world view to make things better, and actually have some core values that they live and espouse. Which honestly means a lot of smaller, lesser known or lesser valued bags.

I am sorry to hear about your health challenges. My main outings are grocery shopping and school pick up/drop off. I have not purchased any new bags or SLGs. I have thought of releasing my least used bags and curating my handbag wardrobe. I decided to pause on making any decisions - we’re living in different times and it’s hard to assess what gets used and what I need.
You’re not alone. Sending hugs and best wishes. :flowers:

Maybe you could use your little bags as organizers in your bigger bag? I hope you feel better soon. If it is any consolation, I've been inside since March and have carried a purse exactly 3 times in 9 months, so I hear you. I hope someday to use them again, but until then, I've been lovingly moisturizing them with leather treatment and trying to wear jewelry more often.

I am sorry about your health, I hope it gets better with time :heart:

Like you I got overwhelmed by the quantity that I had. In the past 15 years I had accumulated a lot because I was working in a luxury group, you know with the associated personal sales at amazing prices so you buy without really loving what you buy, terrible choices were made... things that did not spark joy were just sitting here doing nothing. So I put everything for sale so I could make others happy as they were still great things for great prices but not suitable for my lifestyle -which also changed or for my body, etc... so I reduced the quantity or a more relevant collection, still a lot but now I can really enjoy them and they match my lifestyle.
Check if you can maybe do that, if you have something that truly sparks joy and downsize for that (or for something else :smile: ).
The pandemic will not last forever as I also believe we will get there but it is making us consider our things in a different way, for me travelling is the most important... and I learned to have more patient to wait for the bag that truly was the right color, the right size, the right shape :smile:
I hope you get better soon! stay safe!

I am sorry about your health, I hope it gets better with time :heart:

Like you I got overwhelmed by the quantity that I had. In the past 15 years I had accumulated a lot because I was working in a luxury group, you know with the associated personal sales at amazing prices so you buy without really loving what you buy, terrible choices were made... things that did not spark joy were just sitting here doing nothing. So I put everything for sale so I could make others happy as they were still great things for great prices but not suitable for my lifestyle -which also changed or for my body, etc... so I reduced the quantity or a more relevant collection, still a lot but now I can really enjoy them and they match my lifestyle.
Check if you can maybe do that, if you have something that truly sparks joy and downsize for that (or for something else :smile: ).
The pandemic will not last forever as I also believe we will get there but it is making us consider our things in a different way, for me travelling is the most important... and I learned to have more patient to wait for the bag that truly was the right color, the right size, the right shape :smile:
I hope you get better soon! stay safe!

I had gotten rid of quite a bit, and then a couple of months ago started re-acquiring. Did some thinking and realized I wanted pieces that were ethical, not popular. I'm now discovering so much that's out there that's under the radar and it's exciting.