Good workhorse every day watch Rolex? AP? Breitling? Omega? JLC?

Shelly319

May 13, 2015
I am in need of an everyday watch for work that isn't flashy. I have considered a plain steel datejust with the smooth bezel and oyster bracelet or an oyster perpetual. I have also looked at the reverso and the steel AP. I haven't looked yet at breitlings or omegas. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good reliable mechanical watch? I prefer leather straps but a bracelet is ok too. Thanks!

I am in need of an everyday watch for work that isn't flashy. I have considered a plain steel datejust with the smooth bezel and oyster bracelet or an oyster perpetual. I have also looked at the reverso and the steel AP. I haven't looked yet at breitlings or omegas. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good reliable mechanical watch? I prefer leather straps but a bracelet is ok too. Thanks!
Check out IWC - amazing quality and not flashy at all. I've been looking at their newly relaunched Da Vinci collection and the portofinos are also classic. If you have a store near you they have many strap options (including a beautiful Hermes - looking orange). Good luck!

I wear a datejust, Omega Speedmaster Pro and Breitling Superocean Heritage 38. I wear the latter two when I'm going for a more casual/sporty look and if I feel like wearing a leather/nato strap. I'd recommend looking into a speedy - looks great with any strap and just really fun to wear!

Reactions: Shelly319
Thanks for the recs! With the omega, breitling and iwc do you find these to be hardy watches and how often do they need to be serviced? And would you recommend buying on the gray market? I only ask because I'm seeing significant price differences between what I'm the store versus online like Jomas shop. I have never shopped gray market for other watches like Rolex because I want assurance of the warranty. Thanks!

I have an Omega Deville that I wear to work everyday, which I would recommend. It's understated and simple, but well made and easy to read. Mine has a bracelet strap but I believe you can get ones that have a leather strap.

I adore my Omega Ladymatic with mop/diamond face and would suggest you check it out. I have a gold Presidential Rolex but rarely wear it because it's so flashy. The Omega is a mechanical movement as well but unlike my Rolex it keeps perfect time! It's also young and modern yet still classy (the very first mechanical movement watch made for ladies was the Ladymatic launched in 1953!)

I have an Omega Deville that I wear to work everyday, which I would recommend. It's understated and simple, but well made and easy to read. Mine has a bracelet strap but I believe you can get ones that have a leather strap.

I just googled this one and I can't stop oohing and aahing. Simple. Elegant. Kind of reminds me of patek.

Thanks for the recs! With the omega, breitling and iwc do you find these to be hardy watches and how often do they need to be serviced? And would you recommend buying on the gray market? I only ask because I'm seeing significant price differences between what I'm the store versus online like Jomas shop. I have never shopped gray market for other watches like Rolex because I want assurance of the warranty. Thanks!

My fiancé knows a lot of big watch collectors, so we get all of ours second hand. You're right about the huge price difference which is why we never buy new. There are some websites that offer warranties though like Bob's Watches. Would definitely recommend buying second hand as long as you "buy the seller".

In regards to being hardy, the speedy, superocean and submariner are definitely workhorses. Most have a 5-8 yr service rotation but will run many years past that within reasonable specs.

By not flashy do you mean a simple style, or a watch that doesn't scream "expensive"? Because I think a Rolex is very flashy. Nothing discreet about it. But aside from that a Rolex would definitely meet all of your criteria.

Reactions: Shopgirl1996
By not flashy do you mean a simple style, or a watch that doesn't scream "expensive"? Because I think a Rolex is very flashy. Nothing discreet about it. But aside from that a Rolex would definitely meet all of your criteria.

A watch that doesn't scream look at me. I think it depends on the Rolex - color, style and size. Obviously a Daytona would be flashy as I am a small person with small wrists but an oyster perpetual or a smooth bezeled datejust in steel would not especially one that is 31 mm. I have thought about the Rolex but I'd like to venture out into other brands. I am a watch admirer in terms of functionality and aesthetics and there are so many great brands in addition to Rolex.