Good paying job with a 2 year degree?

Perhaps you mean a nursing assistant or medical assistant? An RN is not a 2 year degree.

There are many community colleges in the US that offer 2-year associate degree programs that allow you to take the NCLEX exam to receive a Registered Nurse license. I know this for a fact because I graduated from one of these programs, passed NCLEX and am a Registered Nurse. I have a bachelor's in another field and start classes for my Bachelor's in Nursing in September....but even if I didn't (like many of my classmates) we are still qualified to take the NCLEX after 2 years of study....

I would also add graphic design and/or advertising (creative side). A bachelor degree is not necessary. However, it is very competitive so you need to be passionate about what you're doing.

Speaking from almost 15 years experience in advertising, also please note that entry level jobs are not only competitive, but can be very grueling. No matter what agency you're at, the pay is insulting. You can expect to work long hours for little pay at entry level. If you succeed, you can do very well, but this is one industry that you really pay your dues before financial rewards start happening.

There are many community colleges in the US that offer 2-year associate degree programs that allow you to take the NCLEX exam to receive a Registered Nurse license. I know this for a fact because I graduated from one of these programs, passed NCLEX and am a Registered Nurse. I have a bachelor's in another field and start classes for my Bachelor's in Nursing in September....but even if I didn't (like many of my classmates) we are still qualified to take the NCLEX after 2 years of study....

OK, I stand corrected. Thank you for clarifying!

Speaking from almost 15 years experience in advertising, also please note that entry level jobs are not only competitive, but can be very grueling. No matter what agency you're at, the pay is insulting. You can expect to work long hours for little pay at entry level. If you succeed, you can do very well, but this is one industry that you really pay your dues before financial rewards start happening.

Well yeah, its not for everyone. Expect to pay your dues, but from my experience people who are successful in advertising don't do it for the money. I was just thinking that instead of an associates you could go to an ad school as most of them are 2 years. This will help you prepare an awesome portfolio as well as network with key people in the industry.

If you don't mind retail, you can make a career out of it. I work with Macy's West and I only have an AA in Fashion Merchandising but I've gotten promoted to 3 different assignments already within my 3 years at Macy's. And if you're worried about retail hours, I only did about 1 1/2 years of that. I now work M-F 6:30-3:30 and I'm not in the corporate offices but I do hold an Executive position.

License Vocational Nurse takes from 9 months to 18 months depending on the schedule. They offer VN at vocational schools.

The pay ranges from approx $20+ in CA that I know of.

It's below an RN.

You can always get your LVN if you want to get it going, and then perhaps transfer to a JC or something that offers RN.

Here is So Cal I know you can get your LVN, and then go to some schools and get your RN in about 1 more year.

I believe it's a little short cut but its possible.

Please keep in mind it isn't always about the paper. It has a lot to do with the person and not just a degree. Neither my husband or myself finished our degrees and we make well over 100K combined. If you are hard working person and you get enough experience you can go far even without a degree. I would find an area that you love and grow from there. I work in accounting and my husband in IT.

My 2 cents... I've watched my mom and a few of her friends go through this... divorced or widowed and all of the sudden find themselves needing a job, after raising children and having no office work experiences...

... you can't be picky. You have to find something, work on your skills and prove you're worth more than what you're getting.... you can't turn down offers hoping that the next job you're offered is 10k or 20k more and don't put a minimum on what you'll accept. One of my moms friends was in the same situation, (well recently widowed instead of divorced, but needed a job) her son is now 22, so she had not worked in 22 yrs... and she decided she was going to accept nothing short of $60k... well, guess what... still unemployed.

Try something out, work hard, and in time you'll be earning more. At first, it will probably not be ideal. Sometimes people get lucky, but just don't hold out hoping, keep yourself busy and keep looking in the meantime until you find that perfect job with better pay.

this thread is great, i was going to ask the same thing, since i've suddenly lost all brain cells and can't make it through a simple chemistry class and barely squeezed by in my math class.

If you don't mind retail, you can make a career out of it. I work with Macy's West and I only have an AA in Fashion Merchandising but I've gotten promoted to 3 different assignments already within my 3 years at Macy's. And if you're worried about retail hours, I only did about 1 1/2 years of that. I now work M-F 6:30-3:30 and I'm not in the corporate offices but I do hold an Executive position.

This is what i want to do. :-]]

i think the nursing degrees for 2 yr are more on the administrative side of things or are more like the ones who do the labor (clean bed pans, bring meals, etc) while the nurses who administer injections and take blood, and all that other stuff have BSN's, I know that nurses who are RN's and have their BSN's work their tush's off in school they have very demanding courses

All nurses involved in direct patient care bring meals, etc but this is a primary function of a nursing assistant. ADN and BSN nurses make decisions, delegate tasks, give meds, injections, create careplans, and apply the nursing process (which makes nursing a profession, not just a job).

Also, an RN degree out of a college/university whether ADN or BSN takes 4-5 years full time (doesn't make sense but true an ADN has two years of prerequisite coursework then 4 semesters nursing classes). Some diploma programs (Texas is one of the only states still with them) take 3 years from start to finish, which is great because you finish faster. Also, diploma programs are based at hospitals themselves, which allows for a ton of clinical time. Some of the best nurses I have worked with are diploma nurses.