Gone Baby Gone...What would you do?

*spoiled*

O.G.
Sep 11, 2006
I tried doing a search and couldn't find a topic on this movie....

OK so I watched this movie last night and I woke up thinking about it...

I hate being so sensitive because some things really bother me..

But im curious to know what other ppl would have done at the end... One one hand I would have wanted to let the child stay but then I think that it's just not right... but when I saw the little girl at the end back in her mother's home being neglected YET AGAIN I felt like damn...

I just don't know...what would everyone else have done and why?

I don't know either. it wouldn't have been right for her to stay with Morgan Freeman's character, and at first I thought that the mom would change after the whole situation. but she didn't at all. But it did seem like she was better off away. She looked happier and had already bonded with Morgan freeman's character's family.

I don't know either. it wouldn't have been right for her to stay with Morgan Freeman's character...She looked happier and had already bonded with Morgan freeman's character's family.
I guess it would depend on what the goal was, the desired outcome. If the person deciding saw the goal as the little girl's happiness, then she should stay with Morgan Freeman, but it is not always possible to guess what that desired outcome would be in someone else's mind.

my husband and i completely disagreed about this: he thought casey affleck did the right thing because the girl deserved to be with her mother and people can't take justice into their own hands. i felt she was better off with morgan freeman even though he broke the law. my husband felt that if the mom were ultimately found to be unfit, then the state would take care of her. i have read too many stories about kids falling through the cracks to have any faith in social services (and being a foster child is no picnic). really the ideal situation would have been to give the girl to her aunt since she cared for the girl and had no involvement in the kidnapping.

I would have left her in the care of Morgan Freeman and his wife. The little girl's mother did not even get the name of her dolly right!

This movie really disturbed me. SHUDDER!

I am so glad you posted this thread. I actually just saw it last weekend and found myself thinking about it too laying in bed. It really poses some interesting moral questions. What is right by the law? What is morally right?

I think the character was trying to attone for killing the child molester. Everyone was praising him for doing the "right thing". But, he even told the cop he wouldn't do it again. So I think the character did it for all the wrong reasons.

My husband read the book. I won't tell you the details but there is alot more of the cops story about where his child came from and why he married the prostitute.

I don't know what I'd do. It is just very sad. I guess that's why I was laying in bed thinking about it.

I would have left her in the care of Morgan Freeman and his wife. The little girl's mother did not even get the name of her dolly right!

This movie really disturbed me. SHUDDER!

Ohhhh I thought she had a new dollie because the original one had died in the water. Didn't they drop her doll in there? But yours makes more sense.

Honestly, I would have let her stay with Morgan Freeman. The scene at the end where Casey has to babysit the girl as the mother is about to go out on a date (when she didn't even remember to call a REAL babysitter) killed me. She would have been better off with Morgan Freeman.

and im still thinking about this.. some movies bother me more than others..

I really hate the fact that the mother didn't change. You would have thought that after that situation she would have really changed and realized what she could have lost. The movie just touched my heart...

^^^ But it was pretty clear that the mom was an addict. And addicts only care about themselves. I hoped that she would change too, but I actually like movies that have realistic endings. And I think if it would've ended with the mother changing, it would've somehow cheapened the movie.

I think the character was trying to attone for killing the child molester. Everyone was praising him for doing the "right thing". But, he even told the cop he wouldn't do it again. So I think the character did it for all the wrong reasons.

yes, that's exactly it. he was doing what was "right" on paper, by the law, because when he did was he felt was right in the moment before (by killing the child molester), he felt guilty. so really, when dealing with the little girl's situation, he was acting more on behalf of his selfish feelings rather than his concern for the girl's ultimate well being.

by killing the molester, he went WITH his feelings and did something that was techincally "wrong". he didn't want to do that again, so he did what was technically "right" even though it seemingly went against his gut instinct of what was morally right in the situation.

i think the character felt a lot of guilt in both situations. there was no winning for him, no matter what he did, in either situation.

this was a GREAT and incredibly underrated film. i thought it was far better than most films i saw last year, including (and especially) No Country. to think this movie was so overlooked is quite a shame.

^^^ But it was pretty clear that the mom was an addict. And addicts only care about themselves. I hoped that she would change too, but I actually like movies that have realistic endings. And I think if it would've ended with the mother changing, it would've somehow cheapened the movie.

if she had changed, it would've lessened his moral dilemma, and the lasting impact of his choice. her changing would've made his choice more "right" than it was initially, the feelings he was left with at the end with the mother split to party and left him with the kid... it wouldn't have been as powerful an ending as it was. it wouldn't have been the kind of ending you remember, that makes you think about it long after the movie is over.

I would have done what Casey Affleck did. To steal someone's else's kid, no matter what the situation, is morally reprehensible. Obviously the mother wasn't good, but where do we draw the line? Not everyone will come from good families, but does that mean we have the right to take them away from their parents? Especially if we can't prove any outright abuse?

I think the girl would have been happier with Morgan Freeman's character, but I don't think she should have stayed with him. What does it say about him as a person if he's willing to do what he did, especially as the chief of police who's supposed to uphold the law? If a kid is being grossly neglected and abused, then of course they should be taken away from the parents, but you have to go through the right channels. Our justice system isn't perfect, but it scares me to think of people taking justice into their own hands. And that's because it's hard to draw a line of when it's okay and when it's not. Laws are there to keep that line drawn.