Gold plating on CC peeling

Romeos

O.G.
Jul 15, 2007
NYC
I got my chanel mini flap about 18 months ago and I noticed a small peel on the CC. It's not overly noticable as it's only a few mms large but I worry it will peel even further.

I took it to the store and they said it needs to be sent to Paris for assessment and it may take a long time to get it back due to covid measures in addition to the usual procedure. They also said if it's assessed to be due to normal wear and tear it will cost me to be repaired.

I am a bit torn as the bag is nice as it is and I don't want to be parted with it for long. But what if it deteriorates even further? Also, is it normal for an expensive bag to do this and not being repaired FOC?

Anyone had experience with similar issues?

lallybelle

O.G.
Jan 28, 2009
NYC
That's unfortunate. Free would have been within a year, unless they deem it defective. So like they said if they say it was normal wear & tear you would be charged to replace it.
"Peeling" does not seem like normal wear & tear, but I cannot determine what Chanel would say once they assess it, especially without a picture.

Where are you located? I believe HW is replaceable up to 5 years after purchase in the US (weird rules Chanel made in the US a few ago, certain things they won't repair now, etc.)

Maybe since you are passed the 1 year and you will have to see if Chanel says it's defect or wear anyway, you may want to hold off a bit? Especially while COVID is on and the repairs can take a lot longer.

Good luck.

Romeos

O.G.
Jul 15, 2007
NYC
I'm in the UK, so the 5 years don't apply. I'm not going to have it sent back to Paris, I decided, because I need this bag, I just cannot be parted with it for that long, not even knowing whether there will be another lock down and I could end up without my bag for months.

It's just a shame because luxury purchase should mean luxury aftercare, but too often it isn't. It shouldn't even be questioned really, a bag costing this much should not show obvious sign of damage. Mind you it's a tiny little peel but I am worried it will get bigger.

I remember a friend of mine took her Louboutin shoes back to the shop years after she got it because a stud fell out and they repaired it FOC without any question. This is the service I would expect.