Gold or Carnelian 20

Croissant

Detective Hermès!
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Because I am super impatient, my eyes started roaming to the hammered yellow gold 20 motif, which is a lot easier than finding the perfect carnelian. Mind you, my carnelian 20 is already bought and paid for and I'm simply waiting to come in to exchange for another carnelian, but i started eyeing the gold 20...
this will be my only 20 for this year so i have to choose which is first. Pros for gold: classic alhambra VCA icon, no stone color issues to be dissatisfied with, can match easily with my 10 + 5 motif guilloche pieces and my 10 motif onyx, i'll have a little store credit left over since i already paid for the carnelian :biggrin: and there is something else my SA has waiting for me she ordered from europe.
Cons for gold: is a hammered gold 20 motif really worth 17,000 USD? (this is my biggest question because i have a solid gold Tiffany rosary necklace that is about a quarter of the price), is gold boring?, too much gold??

Opinions, advice? Photos of your gold 20s?

Last edited:
I wish I could give you my opinion but I am in the same boat as you! lol I want two 20 motif necklaces but I am just holding back, I did place an order for a blue agate in 20 motif in case it comes available and now I am eyeing the tiger eye 20 motif necklace.

I always thought the hammered gold 20 motif is very casual, I think the Carnelian 20 motif will be more stunning and eye catching.. did you receive a light color carnelian necklace? I see everyone return/exchange those!

I have the vintage gold 20 and I love it because it goes with everything...don't have to worry about the fragility of stones like the carnelian....I also have the 10 motif in yg and the 5 motif in yg....my options for wearing are endless...
Personally, I have the long magic pendants with MOP, carnelian, and malachite for the pop of color....

Attachments

• IMG_6886.JPG
    IMG_6886.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 116
I wish I could give you my opinion but I am in the same boat as you! lol I want two 20 motif necklaces but I am just holding back, I did place an order for a blue agate in 20 motif in case it comes available and now I am eyeing the tiger eye 20 motif necklace.

I always thought the hammered gold 20 motif is very casual, I think the Carnelian 20 motif will be more stunning and eye catching.. did you receive a light color carnelian necklace? I see everyone return/exchange those!

actually it's dark i'll show you a photo. It is brownish and in the light i can see orange. i want to exchange it for another carnelian that is more to my liking but wondered if maybe the hammered gold might be a cool addition instead?

Reactions: ayshaa

Attachments

• IMG_3559.jpeg
    IMG_3559.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3560.jpeg
    IMG_3560.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: ayshaa
I have the vintage gold 20 and I love it because it goes with everything...don't have to worry about the fragility of stones like the carnelian....I also have the 10 motif in yg and the 5 motif in yg....my options for wearing are endless...
Personally, I have the long magic pendants with MOP, carnelian, and malachite for the pop of color....
ah yes thank you! i think ive seen photos of you wearing this combo! i could not find the pic. i'm sure you feel it is worth it as you have invested in numerous pieces. i remember thinking the pics looked so good.

Reactions: lisawhit
I think the classic gold 20 is a great piece to have. However, you already have a 10+5 guilloche and I don't see those working together. But if you don't care about having two different style solid gold pieces, I think it would be a great one to have as it could go with any of the stone earrings or bracelets. I am like Lisa in that I'd like to have the carnelian in the Magic pendant and bracelet. Not sure if it's easier to get the right red in that or not, though.

The classic hammered gold is $15,600.

I think the classic gold 20 is a great piece to have. However, you already have a 10+5 guilloche and I don't see those working together. But if you don't care about having two different style solid gold pieces, I think it would be a great one to have as it could go with any of the stone earrings or bracelets. I am like Lisa in that I'd like to have the carnelian in the Magic pendant and bracelet. Not sure if it's easier to get the right red in that or not, though.

The classic hammered gold is $15,600.
thank you for the feedback! my heart is really set on carnelian i'm just being extra fussy and trying to focus on something "fun stressful" rather than the overwhelming stress of the world right now :biggrin: im not sure the guilloche/hammered clash would bother me because the hammered gold was paired with guilloche in the 20 motifs necklace (albeit in pave diamond) i told my SA i would like to try it on to compare. my hesitation is that its just A LOT of yellow gold together. price i know, i just always factor in the sales tax. i wish i could get both 20's immediately!

Reactions: DS2006
Oh, I hear you on the difficulty of not being able to get multiples at one time! The only other thought I have regarding the guilloche is that I probably wouldn't stack it with anything just due to not wanting it to get scratched since they really can't do anything to fix that (unlike the stones which can be replaced if damaged). But you have different pieces in guilloche anyway. I do think the carnelian and classic solid gold would look outstanding together!

actually it's dark i'll show you a photo. It is brownish and in the light i can see orange. i want to exchange it for another carnelian that is more to my liking but wondered if maybe the hammered gold might be a cool addition instead?

Actually after seeing Lisawhit's collection of hammered gold vintage alhambra makes me wanna consider it too lol so many temptation! I think the best thing to do is to wait for the carnelian of your liking, if you couldn't find the shade that you are after, get the hammered gold necklace, it is beautiful and I think works with everything, casual or dressy. Ah everything is so pretty at VCA lol

I wish we could get both 20s as well lol but good luck! I hope you'll find your perfect 20 motif necklace :smile:

Oh, I hear you on the difficulty of not being able to get multiples at one time! The only other thought I have regarding the guilloche is that I probably wouldn't stack it with anything just due to not wanting it to get scratched since they really can't do anything to fix that (unlike the stones which can be replaced if damaged). But you have different pieces in guilloche anyway. I do think the carnelian and classic solid gold would look outstanding together!
when i come in i'll have a few options in carnelian to choose from and hope i find the perfect one. i'll also try on gold and see which makes me happiest at the moment! in my mind carnelian reminds me of the mysteries and rituals of the roman catholic church, the Italian renaissance, there's something but provocative and perverse about it but also very regal. Wearing the 20 in carnelian makes me feel like a sitter in a Bronzino portrait. But then again the gold looks like something right out of that time too!

Attachments

• 25_lr.jpg
    25_lr.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 113
when i come in i'll have a few options in carnelian to choose from and hope i find the perfect one. i'll also try on gold and see which makes me happiest at the moment! in my mind carnelian reminds me of the mysteries and rituals of the roman catholic church, the Italian renaissance, there's something but provocative and perverse about it but also very regal. Wearing the 20 in carnelian makes me feel like a sitter in a Bronzino portrait. But then again the gold looks like something right out of that time too!

I so agree! I'd put onyx and lapis in that category, too! Too many great colors! Not enough money! lol!

Reactions: Croissant
I so agree! I'd put onyx and lapis in that category, too! Too many great colors! Not enough money! lol!
ok i combed through 17 pages of the guilloche thread hoping to find one pairing of the guilloche and hammered gold together (photo by BlingItOn). here is the image. several people commented they did not like the two textures together but one or two people said they liked the combo. i would love to hear the case against it. im having a hard time picturing this combo as two necklaces worn together. i'm just fantasizing before my appintment.

Attachments

• 41875119-D833-45BA-A9E3-DF0FCF9EAC0A.jpg
    41875119-D833-45BA-A9E3-DF0FCF9EAC0A.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: allure244
I think they are both beautiful, but not together. I feel like the guilloche is a standalone piece because it is a bolder and slightly more dressy style.

My first VCA piece was the hammered gold bracelet as I knew it would go well with all the other yg stone pieces.

Hopefully some people who have the guilloche will reply!

Reactions: Croissant