Gold hardware tarnish?

MDN10021

Feb 20, 2009
Hi guys,
from your expeirence, does the Gold hardware tarnish or fade, etc.. with time on a Birkin??? I was wondering since I am about to purchase one promptly.. THNKSS!

Rarely does it happen, but if it does a jeweler's cloth will take care of it. BTW this subject came up recently and I happened to notice these cloths for sale at the grocery store. Goddards makes them for gold and silver jewelry or you can Google up a rouge cloth.

Hi! I wanted to bump this thread because I found really tiny tarnish spots on the hardware of my birkin. I’m concerned because it’s only been about 2 months since I received the bag and I don’t want the tarnish to get worse. Should I leave it? Take it back? Try to clean it myself?

The spots are super tiny so I feel like I should just leave it but I’m not sure. I do live in a generally humid climate so I think that is why.

My other GHW Hermès items doesn’t have tarnish, so I’m a bit concerned.

Reactions: Culoucou
UPDATE: I got the Connoisseurs gold polishing cloth and it worked perfectly! The tarnish is completely gone and the hardware looks super perfect! I highly recommend getting this cloth it was only $8 on Amazon!

I only used this on gold hardware so not sure about palladium, brushed palladium, permabrass, or rose gold.
84f048682510ed58468a080e7da63fde.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: I got the Connoisseurs gold polishing cloth and it worked perfectly! The tarnish is completely gone and the hardware looks super perfect! I highly recommend getting this cloth it was only $8 on Amazon!

I only used this on gold hardware so not sure about palladium, brushed palladium, permabrass, or rose gold.
84f048682510ed58468a080e7da63fde.jpg
Hi! I also found brownish reddish spots on my newest Birkin that I just purchased in February from my local boutique. I’ve only worn it once for about an hour and other than that it’s just sat on a shelf so I don’t see how this happened. Did your tarnish look like this?

Attachments

• 2C32877F-DA3C-41B0-8850-6E1C738F0E1A.jpeg
    2C32877F-DA3C-41B0-8850-6E1C738F0E1A.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 787
Reactions: Yoshi1296
Hi! I also found brownish reddish spots on my newest Birkin that I just purchased in February from my local boutique. I’ve only worn it once for about an hour and other than that it’s just sat on a shelf so I don’t see how this happened. Did your tarnish look like this?

Yes exactly the same for me and on the same piece of hardware too! Don't fear, the connoisseurs gold polishing cloth will fix this issue.

Keep in mind that the tarnish will reappear time to time, this is a natural characteristic of gold, just have the cloth handy and when you see a tarnish spot, just buff it away with the cloth!

For me the tarnish just keeps showing up every few months, it definitely has to do with the humid climate I live in. Oh well.

Good luck! And again, don't worry, this is an easy fix you can do at home. :smile:

Take it back and ask them to fix it as it should not have happened. My 25-year-old Birkin's gold hardware did not have a single issue for 24 years. (I had the HW replaced only by the spa because I face-planted and the bag took a lot of the impact for me.)

Last edited:
Yes exactly the same for me and on the same piece of hardware too! Don't fear, the connoisseurs gold polishing cloth will fix this issue.

Keep in mind that the tarnish will reappear time to time, this is a natural characteristic of gold, just have the cloth handy and when you see a tarnish spot, just buff it away with the cloth!

For me the tarnish just keeps showing up every few months, it definitely has to do with the humid climate I live in. Oh well.

Good luck! And again, don't worry, this is an easy fix you can do at home. :smile:
Thank you for your help! I have never had this happen before and it’s so strange to happen on my newest B. It makes me wonder if they’ve switched to a lower grade gold plating on the HW. I’ll try the cloths but I think if If continues to happen you should ask your SA to perhaps have the HW replaced. I have several Hermès bags and lots of chanel some are 30 years old and don’t have tarnish so it’s quite strange. I also live in NYC and I wouldn’t say it’s that humid here and the bag has only been outside of AC for a few minutes here and there.

Is the sticker still on this part of hardware? Sometimes leaving the sticker on then add humid climate = tarnish

Thank you for your help! I have never had this happen before and it’s so strange to happen on my newest B. It makes me wonder if they’ve switched to a lower grade gold plating on the HW. I’ll try the cloths but I think if If continues to happen you should ask your SA to perhaps have the HW replaced. I have several Hermès bags and lots of chanel some are 30 years old and don’t have tarnish so it’s quite strange. I also live in NYC and I wouldn’t say it’s that humid here and the bag has only been outside of AC for a few minutes here and there.

No problem! My spots are super microscopic so I'll definitely have it replaced once it gets worse. I'm really enjoying the bag a lot right now haha so I don't want to part with it so soon.

I also have lots of vintage hermes and bags from other brands that are older and haven't had tarnish issues. My LV Petite Malle definitely did though, that was pretty bad.

This thread just reminded me, I was looking for the other thread that had a PHW tarnish and I can’t find it. My year old kelly have bad tarnish on the turnlock. I already told my SA about this and will be taking the kelly to the store. Do you guys think a jewelers cloth can still fix this? (Sorry for posting here on a ghw thread)

Attachments

• 8C3C40DE-C453-4AFB-A02A-4EF5011669E4.jpeg
    8C3C40DE-C453-4AFB-A02A-4EF5011669E4.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 793
This thread just reminded me, I was looking for the other thread that had a PHW tarnish and I can’t find it. My year old kelly have bad tarnish on the turnlock. I already told my SA about this and will be taking the kelly to the store. Do you guys think a jewelers cloth can still fix this? (Sorry for posting here on a ghw thread)

Hi! That isn't tarnish, it looks like your plating is peeling. Sorry you are experiencing this. It could be that the plates on the flap of the kelly was scratching against the turnlock as you were opening and closing.

Again don't worry, Hermes can easily replace the hardware. That is the perk of buying Hermes! :smile:

Reactions: ChloeSF