Gold bracelet turned my wrist green. Return?

Dolce

O.G.
Mar 3, 2007
I bought a gold tennis bracelet. 3 carats for $3500. It ended up turning my wrist green. I read that there could be a lot of copper in it. Should I try to return it? I've never had gold jewelry do this before. I unfortunately removed the tags but I feel like the store should take bad merchandise back or at least offer a credit.

The higher the carat the less copper/nickel in it, you should be fine usually if it's 18kt or over. I would take it back as that certainly should not happen when you are spending that sort of money. It's sounds as though it's either a low karat or it's fake gold

I bought a gold tennis bracelet. 3 carats for $3500. It ended up turning my wrist green. I read that there could be a lot of copper in it. Should I try to return it? I've never had gold jewelry do this before. I unfortunately removed the tags but I feel like the store should take bad merchandise back or at least offer a credit.

I'd take it back if you can. The other metals in the gold alloy are having a chemical reaction with your skin.

Here is a link to gold alloys and their composition

http://m.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/jewelry/an-overview-of-common-alloys.htm

Personally I adore pink gold but a lot of the older coloured gold jewellery that I love marks my skin green too.

Good luck!

I'd take it back if you can. The other metals in the gold alloy are having a chemical reaction with your skin.

Here is a link to gold alloys and their composition

http://m.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/jewelry/an-overview-of-common-alloys.htm

Personally I adore pink gold but a lot of the older coloured gold jewellery that I love marks my skin green too.

Good luck!

I too love antique gold, and adore rose gold but I have never encountered this problem of it marking my skin, I have 2 rose gold, heavy chain, bracelets from the late 1800's and these don't leave anything on me, I'm always interested in how our skin can affect pieces of metal and stone jewellery.

Completely agree with your first point here regarding the other components affecting OP's skin.

I too love antique gold, and adore rose gold but I have never encountered this problem of it marking my skin, I have 2 rose gold, heavy chain, bracelets from the late 1800's and these don't leave anything on me, I'm always interested in how our skin can affect pieces of metal and stone jewellery.

Completely agree with your first point here regarding the other components affecting OP's skin.

You bracelets sound yummy Millicat! You are reminding me how much I loved those older pieces. Might be time to revisit with a higher gold count, mine were 9kt.

Quite awhile ago I started a thread on Rose Gold, I can't seem to find it though.
It's something that I also wanted to discuss.
I do have a collection of several pieces but I'm still on the fence as to whether I really like it or not.