Travel Going to Washington, D.C

One day will go pretty fast. The Air and Space Museum is great, as is the American History museum. If you don't mind something *heavy*, the Holocaust Museum is unforgettable , but maybe too much to handle for a quick stop. I spent a few hours in there. It's not part of the Smithsonian group, so it has an admission charge, whereas the others are free admission.

I bet! Downfall is I only have time for one day :sad: we plan on doing air and space museum for sure. Seems like all my friends and family recommend that place too!

Thanks! Does anyone know where there's free parking? Seems like everywhere its at least $15!

i know a parking lot in Rosslyn, VA that is free on weekends...you would have to metro into the city but it's only 1 metro stop from DC. it's about a 10-15 minute metro ride into the smithsonians. PM me if you are interested :smile:

Hi all,
I am thinking of going to DC with the bf this Dec, how is the weather?
Also, how long should we set aside to to do the National Mall? Would two days be enough? We are planning to stay downtown because that seems close to all the museums and monuments.
Should we rent a car to go to George town or are there any taxis be around?
We would already have a car for a day just to go to the outlets.. is there anything around Virginia or Maryland that we would be able to drive to or worth it?

Thank you and sorry for all the questions!!

December should not be terribly cold, dress in layers. As for the National Mall, do you mean the monuments? That does not take very long, but if you want to go to the smithsonian museums etc that could take two days.
No need to rent a car if you will be staying in DC, there are taxis. The outlets in the surrounding areas are really not that great, I would not rent a car specifically to do this.
Hope this helps!

The main thing someone would drive to VA for might be shopping at Tyson's Center and the Galleria across hwy 123, and the smallish center not far on Leesburg Pike where LV, Hermes, and Tiffany are. But unless you are a history buff and want to drive to Manassas to see the Civil War battlefield, there isn't a reason to leave DC. (Arlington Cemetary is in VA but there is a shuttle--don't know if it runs year round--that is reasonable to get there)

Thank you for the suggestions ladies!!
I guess we will stay put in DC then. Also, I keep hearing on the DC threads about GEorgetown.. Will it be hard to get there,0?

Side note, boxermom--- you must travel a lot, so lucky! Lol I think you also replied to me in the Chicago thread when I had questions about that!0.

mainguyen504 said:
I guess we will stay put in DC then. Also, I keep hearing on the DC threads about GEorgetown.. Will it be hard to get there,0?

Side note, boxermom--- you must travel a lot, so lucky! Lol I think you also replied to me in the Chicago thread when I had questions about that!0.

I use to live in DC. Georgetown can be reached by Metro. Use the Metro system as much as you can, but "rush hour" begins about 3:00 and prices change if that makes a difference. Take your walking shoes! What do you want to do in Georgetown? It's basically a place for dinner and nightlife. Clyde's is a good place to eat. Filomena. Good Italian food. I disagree that it won't be too cold. It can be cold then. I do agree with layering, but it does snow there so check weather.com before you go.

DH is a retired airline pilot. He was based in Chicago for nearly all of his career. As for DC, our younger son's family lives in northern Virginia about 10 minutes from DC so we go there often.

Hope you have a great time!!!:biggrin:

I don't know when in December you are traveling but it could be 50/high 40's. I am from NYC where it is at least 5 degrees colder than DC so I guess it is all relative! There was a freak blizzard a few years ago I think in February, but is is unusual for DC to get large amounts of snow. I am sure you will check the weather though before you visit.
If you decide to take the metro do not look for a Georgetown stop- the closet stop will be Foggy Bottom, around a 10-15 minute walk. But if you don't want to bother with that you may just want to take a taxi, but don't worry, it will not be hard to get there at all!

Hello everyone!
Will be travelling to New York in December and plan on going to DC to visit some museums and the white house, this our first time to visit the east coast. maybe i could ask for help on whats the best mode of transpo in going to DC provided we stay in chelsea area in Ny.
Thanks to all of you now i have an idea where is the must visit to go. Will only be travelling with DH and plan to stay for three days only. Lastly how far is maryland from DC?

TIA. We are so excited, we've been saving up for this trip.

Hello everyone!
Will be travelling to New York in December and plan on going to DC to visit some museums and the white house, this our first time to visit the east coast. maybe i could ask for help on whats the best mode of transpo in going to DC provided we stay in chelsea area in Ny.
Thanks to all of you now i have an idea where is the must visit to go. Will only be travelling with DH and plan to stay for three days only. Lastly how far is maryland from DC?

TIA. We are so excited, we've been saving up for this trip.

if money isn't an object, definitely the train. I looove taking amtrak between NY and D.C., doesn't need to be an acela, the regular regional train is just fine. but there are also cheap buses like boltbus and megabus that 95% of the time are great too.

where in maryland? you can get to some parts (montgomery and prince george's county) in 5-10 minutes, baltimore is an hour away, some places like on the eastern shore further.

Thanks for your input Mundodabolsa, will definitely check it. My friend is from rockville maryland and we plan to visit her.
If I may ask if we take the train how many hours will it take for us to arrive in DC? how about if we opt to ride the bus? Thank you.

if money isn't an object, definitely the train. I looove taking amtrak between NY and D.C., doesn't need to be an acela, the regular regional train is just fine. but there are also cheap buses like boltbus and megabus that 95% of the time are great too.

where in maryland? you can get to some parts (montgomery and prince george's county) in 5-10 minutes, baltimore is an hour away, some places like on the eastern shore further.

Thanks for your input Mundodabolsa, will definitely check it. My friend is from rockville maryland and we plan to visit her.
If I may ask if we take the train how many hours will it take for us to arrive in DC? how about if we opt to ride the bus? Thank you.

the train will be 3-4.5 hours depending on what type of train (acela vs regional) and even which regional you choose. the bus will be 4 hours with no traffic, but that's nearly impossible so usually more.

rockville is pretty easy to get to, it's a little further out in montgomery county but not super far. about a half hour drive with little traffic, but you can get there via metro. take the red line to either grosvenor or white flint (or twinbrook or rockville...) stop depending on where your friend lives and have her pick you up.