Travel Going to France, Germany, Italy in June... advice!

That is funny, I always think of the US as subpar but obviously you're not since you have all those different kinds of soda ��

If you really believe that's what I meant, then either you didn't read far enough along for the spoiled comment or you were having a very bad day. I'm sorry that you felt the need to write a nasty comment to me and go off-topic with what was obviously intended to be a helpful note to the OP. If my word choice in describing an experience truly offended you to that degree, then please PM me. I'll be more than happy to clarify it with you and apologize, if necessary.

My grandparents were Europeans before they became Americans, not an uncommon thing since most of us Americans have an "old country" and respect it and our customs to this day. On my trip, I had the privilege to visit one of my grandmothers' home towns. It was an awesome experience to see where part of my family comes from in Europe and I'm happy to say that almost every single person I met in that town, the country and the other places I traveled to in Europe were nothing but gracious and helpful to a young US girl who could barely speak their languages but really tried! I'm sure the OP will have the same kindness and respect shown to her during her trip this summer. And that's really what we're all here to do for one another, isn't it? Be nice! :smile:

I went on a trip when I was in high school to Switzerland, France, Monaco, Monte Carlo, Italy and an unexpected detour into Belgium. It was one week so we pretty much drove through most places and spent most of our time on the French riviera and Paris.

You're going for a very long time. After a week, I was done and wanted to come home to English and my country. This was back in the 80s so things may have changed but I was shocked that Europe was so different from us. I always think of them as on par.

One of the funniest experiences was walking into a "supermarket" which is really a large convenience store to us and asking where the soda aisle was. We were walked to the cooler where you had a choice of orangina or coke. No diet, cherry, coke zero, just Coke and/or Orangina. It was very eye opening to see how spoiled we Americans are and how much we really take for granted.

My best advice: immerse yourself in the experience, have fun, be respectful, and stare in awe at the history and coliseums that we don't have here. I'm from Philly so I'm used to history around me but I was flabbergasted and amused when lunch hour hit in Arles and people sat on the ruins of the coliseum like it was nothing and ate their sandwiches. Very cool!

PS: Pack light. Save room for those awesome souvenirs. The Louvre and Versailles are gorgeous!! Seeing the Mona Lisa and Venus in person was one of my all time art experiences.

I'm sure you didn't mean to call Europe subpar, particularly after visiting Switzerland, France, Monaco, Monte Carlo... If you were in Europe only in the 80s, it's time to go back and enjoy. Like US, Europe is a wonderful place to live or visit. :smile:

That is funny, I always think of the US as subpar but obviously you're not since you have all those different kinds of soda 😜
:lol: It's time to visit the US, you will find a lot more than 'all those different kinds of soda'. It's a fantastic place.

OP you are going to visit two of my favorite places in Europe, Paris and Venice. As everybody recommended, travel light. You will be tempted to buy many beautiful souvenirs. When in Venice, don't forget to visit Murano and Burano. Paris is a great city to walk... I have been to Paris a zillion times, and I'm always ready to go back. Enjoy your trip!

Lucky2x u! went to france, germany & rome, etc. june '10 & what a wonderful trip-
literally made travel a major passion.
Only 2 advice, be vigilant of your luggage esp. aboard a train and
buy a designer purse if ur into it, not buying one was my only regret, lol.

I'm so jealous! Germany is my dream destination. My daughter brought home paperwork for class trip - Germany, Austria and I forget where else. Sounds like you will be very busy. I would like to hear how the trip went in the future. Have a great time!

I just moved here from the US a couple of weeks ago! Loving it :smile:
That sounds very exciting. Do you speak German well? I been learning here and there. What part of Germany are you in? Never mind, I see it in avatar, Berlin. I will get there one day, lol I'm always researching different areas, I'm sure it will be more than one trip.

That sounds very exciting. Do you speak German well? I been learning here and there. What part of Germany are you in? Never mind, I see it in avatar, Berlin. I will get there one day, lol I'm always researching different areas, I'm sure it will be more than one trip.

I don't speak a word, like a know a few words but I cannot speak a sentence, lol. Does that make sense? It helps that my boyfriend is German so he does a lot of the translating for me. I am doing my PhD here and loving it, Berlin is very cosmopolitan and there's just so much to do, I've taken nearly a thousand photos so far and I've only been here a couple of weeks, lol. I'd also recommend Dresden and Leipzig for travel too.