Going to events solo

yl777

Jul 1, 2014
Just wondering if anyone will or has gone to music, sports or theatre events alone?

I love the opera and classical music concerts, but my friend who shares my taste has recently moved across the country, and my boyfriend has no interest whatsoever. I was contemplating going alone to the opera this upcoming season, but would that be perceived as really odd?

not odd in the least. I go alone more than with anyone if there is any crowd who attend things alone, it's classical music and opera patrons. always lots of people who are alone.

Have been to sporting events, cinema, lunch, theatre by myself. Don't have a problem with it in the least. Frankly, having other people around can make some things less enjoyable to be for me.

Think of it as 'meeting new people'. Places like theatre or opera give you an opportunity to meet like minded people. Don't be afraid to say hello and you may make a new friend.

Not odd at all - it takes a strong and confident person to do things on their own! Revel in that! You can also check "meet up" as there are likely groups who will go to these events. Sometimes I prefer to be alone.
If someone doesn't share my passion, it allows me to not worry about anything besides my own enjoyment!

Definitely! Well, I've remarried but in my latter single years (34 to 40) I did lots of things solo. Saw my first opera--Don Giovanni--by myself. It felt a bit weird at first but let's face it, people are so self-involved these days that no one pays any attention to a woman eating dinner or taking in a movie alone. I mean, you may get the occasional creep trying to hit on you but I found that bringing a book with me to restaurants was a good conversation stopper (or starter, in some cases!)

I always go to concerts and theme parks solo. I love it because I have the freedom to do whatever I want. Last year, I went to a Bon Jovi concert with my brother's GF and she wanted to leave before the Encore! I wasn't happy at all. As for theme parks, it's a bit annoying when you have people with you and they either

1. Don't want to go on a certain ride with you.
2. Get impatient waiting for you and want to go home early.
3. You have to wait for them
4. Find them if they get lost in the park (or vice versa)

I have taken all your encouraging advice to heart and have ordered tickets for the upcoming opera and concert season. Woe betide anyone who stares at me strangely! :P

Thanks all!

I go to the movies, theatre, ballet etc. alone all the time. Most of my friends are not living in my city and I don't really mind going by myself. I rather just go alone than not go att all because no one else is interested.

I'd doubt if too many people even notice you're alone, let alone take the time to think it's odd. I don't know how outgoing you are, but it might even make for a good opportunity to meet some new people who share your interests. I say go for it! :smile: