Going to bring my baby home sat

BQueenGirl

O.G.
Sep 29, 2006
Finally my lil pookie is weened and I get my first baby kitty. Now what do i do, what do I need? Ive never had a cat? And when do I take him to the vet? :yahoo:

Attachments

• DSC01582.jpg
    DSC01582.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 72
There is nothing cuter than a baby kitten! Congratulations...he's a doll!

As for the vet, I'd take him first thing. They'll get you on a schedule for his vaccinations and may perhaps recommend a certain type of food.

If you plan on letting him go outside, I'd ask the vet about micro-chipping him too.

But, I gues the first thing you'll need is a litter box, some food, and a few toys. Plus a good sense of humor! Kittens can be so mischevious....espcially at 3 or 4 in the morning. Every kitten I've ever had has been fascinated with my hair while I'm asleep.

Have lots of fun with your new baby and, again, congratulations!

Too cute!!! Get a litter box, food, lots of toys. Your vet will probably give you vitamins . The thing with kittens is they like to play with everything. Their little nails are very sharp and so are their teeth. Also get a scratching post.

I've been raising cats all my life. They are low maintenance but still require care as you know.
  • First take him the the vet for his exam and vax. They will put you on a schedule of when to bring him back for follow ups. Ask them about pet insurance cause it is well worth it. Also get him fixed ASAP.
  • Set up his litter box in a well ventilated area.
  • Set up his food/water in a different part of the house away from the litter area.
  • If you haven't already done so, buy him a crate to transport him to and from the vet. put a nice cushy blanket in it for him and allow him free access in and out of it 24 hours a day so he gets used to being in it and sees it as a safe place to be.
  • Buy him some safe cat toys. Your vet probably carries alot of them.
  • Buy him a kitty condo, preferably tall enough to set up by a window. Cats LOVE to lounge in front of a window and watch the world go by.
  • Buy him a scratch post. Put 2 sided sticky tape on all your upholstered furniture at the arms/sides to discourage him using as a scratch post. You can also put newspaper on chairs you do not want him on. Cats hate the noise paper makes when they land/walk on it.
  • Please do not let him out of the house for at least the first 8 months of his life (if at all).
  • When you bring him home for the first time, take him into one room, bring his crate in with food/water nearby and just sit with him while he explores his new surroundings. He will stick with you mostly but will get the courage to begin to venture around the room. Just stay close so he can see you and run to you.
  • Cats are very independent and end up raising you so just give him lots of love and be prepared to have him sleep on your face/neck in the beginning. He will be your buddy for life!

Thank you so much for the help everyone he is 8 weeks old the first think i am going to do is call the vet and I will get all the stuff you suggested before I go get my lil pookie.