Going Pro?

Aug 28, 2008
I've been considering going to cosmetology school for makeup. Mainly for fun/as a hobby and nothing too serious, since I don't plan on making it a career. There are so many options for schools, I don't know where to begin to look or even what to look for in a school. I also don't know what to expect and how much this would cost. I don't plan on doing this right away, maybe in a year or two, but I wanted to start looking into this now in advanced. Another reason I want to do this is so I could maybe freelance on the side and to get pro discounts from makeup brands.

So I guess I'm asking for your recommendations for schools and maybe even a guide for things to look into for a school and for things I should expect(anything, really).

Thanks! (:
I'll post more questions if I think of any.

I've been considering going to cosmetology school for makeup. Mainly for fun/as a hobby and nothing too serious, since I don't plan on making it a career. There are so many options for schools, I don't know where to begin to look or even what to look for in a school. I also don't know what to expect and how much this would cost. I don't plan on doing this right away, maybe in a year or two, but I wanted to start looking into this now in advanced. Another reason I want to do this is so I could maybe freelance on the side and to get pro discounts from makeup brands.

So I guess I'm asking for your recommendations for schools and maybe even a guide for things to look into for a school and for things I should expect(anything, really).

Thanks! (:
I'll post more questions if I think of any.

If you're not too serious about it, I would recommend seeing if your local community college has a cosmetology program. That's the route I took while I was in cosmetology school. If you're looking for it to be more serious, I would recommend the Aveda schools. I'm planning to go back to cosmetology school after I earn my masters degree and I'll be going to an Aveda school.

^^Agreed; if you just want to do makeup, I would just try to learn from videos, get a job at a makeup counter, and build a portfolio. I know a few freelance MUAs that did not go to any school.

I am not sure how it works at other schools but the cosmetology students I know work on hair 95% of the time. They only learn enough about the other areas (makeup, facials, waxing, nails) to pass the state board test, and you hardly need to know anything. If you really want to go to school just to learn makeup, I would recommend esthetician school or a makeup school. Esthetician school is a shorter program but you spend more time on each subject (facials, waxing, makeup). Also, I would go with the cheapest program you can find. Everyone learns the same thing but the public schools can cost 1/10th of what the private schools cost. The private schools are usually more organized and the facilities are nicer but for example, the school I'm attending cost around $900 after materials and tuition but the other programs I've seen cost $10,000-$15,000 (I would imagine cosmetology school costs more). You should save your money for continuing education after you get your license.

Good luck!

I definitely would not pay to go to school just for something not too serious. You can try to get a job at MAC and learn what you need to know. you can also go to their classes that they offer if you are not a professional *I think*.

If you know of a FLMUA you can always intern with them.

The cost to go to school just to get a pro discount does not add up. I saw somewhere online where people were able to get around not being a cosmetology student/pro and still were abo

I went to school for cosmetology for hair and trust me you only touch on makeup enough to pass your State Board Exam (at least this how it was when I went yeeeearsss ago!).

Most YT'ers learn on their own. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I wouldn't pay if it's just going to be a hobby or if you wan to do it professionally. Because in the makeup industry, nobody cares if you have a certificate, but more about if you actually have skill and talent.

I started out by working for MAC. Only did it for 6 months, enough time to get my tools, training, network and Pro Card. Now, I just freelance, mainly doing weddings.

Some places like MUD & Eve Pearl offer quick weekend classes for like $250 (last time I checked) and those can be pretty informative. At Eve Pearl, you can use the fee toward the purchase of products.

I agree with everyone who is saying don't go to cosmetology school as they are 95% about hair. I went to school for this and I had to have 2000 hours before I could take the test to be licensed. That was a year and a half in school. Every state dictates what hours they require.

My state has lowered the hours requirement to 1600 hours but it is still a long time.

Do not go to Cosmetology school for makeup! trust me, Ive been in the industry. Now if you want to do hair,thats a different route, but seeing you are interested in cosmetics, I wouldnt recommend Cosmetology school