Going out with your exotic bag

Admittedly exotics are very costly, but that does not mean that they are more delicate.
You want to avoid water, just as you would with box.
Assuming you do not abuse your bags and are sensibly careful to avoid damage,
use your exotics just as you would your other bags.
The more you get used to using exotics, the more comfortable you will be with just using them in a normal way.
The more normally you treat them, the less you will be likely to damage them.

Thanks for the advice Whitebus. I’m normally extremely careful with bags overall, I just worry about food places, the logistics that is. Maybe I’m thinking too much and I should just enjoy it like my other bags.

Reactions: cecchetti
I would have written the exact same post as Whitebus as it describes exactly my approach to using my exotic bag. I don’t worry about taking it to restaurants or stores - I just use it. I’m sure my exotic Constance has water spots or finger prints on it but I’d rather use it and enjoy it than treat it like a precious museum piece and stress about it all the time. But we all have different worry levels so if it will stress you to carry your exotic to a restaurant then it is truly better to leave it at home. In the same vein I leave my valuable jewelry at home when I travel.

Thanks for the advice Whitebus. I’m normally extremely careful with bags overall, I just worry about food places, the logistics that is. Maybe I’m thinking too much and I should just enjoy it like my other bags.

Take your favorite gal out for the evening.. Enjoy her & don't worry & agree with the advice given
Exotics develop a wonderful patina overtime from being used that is really quite glorious

I don’t do anything differently. My bags never touch the ground anywhere. Not in the car, not in a bar… I sound like cat in the hat!

I am hyper careful at cocktail parties with people standing and holding drinks and food. Those occasions make me nervous so I generally just don’t bring an exotic. Something always happens when people who are drinking splash a little, spill a lot while teetering a balancing act with that plate of cheese and hors d’oeuvres !

I personally treat all my bags the same no matter the material. At restaurants, I am always a bit worried something will drop on it, but so far, it has never happened. If it is slim enough, I just place the bag behind me. All my exotics have shoulder straps, so I have not been worried about the handles darkening. The most delicate material at Hermes I have found is actually satin, and I have just accepted it will be creased. I think the best is just to enjoy and wear your exotics out as they are meant to be worn and loved! Bags are most beautiful worn than sitting on a shelf.

I dont have an exotic bag but i do own exotic SLGs. I always worry about taking my exotic piece, and unfortunately i got some type of ink mark and it was a disaster! You can search for my thread. For exotic bags i would go nuts but plan ahead. If im going to a bar, it stays home. If im going to restaurant, i would most likely place the bag on my seat in the back of me or on my lap covered with a towel of some sort. If im going to cocktail party it will stay home for the concern of tipsy people and their drinks. I know they say to wear it in good health but can you deal with the after fact of something spilling on your exotic?! Its their for life until you take it to a professional for a spa treatment. To each their own!

I was at Hermes party with my B25 in croco and it was not a relaxed evening for me cause of all the drinks served there:smile:) my constant fear that someone could spill their drink on my bag kind of killed all joy of wearing it;)

I happened to mention to my SA who was there that I’d need a crossbody and to my surprise I got a mini Kelly touch a month later:smile:

We were having a birthday celebration of a friend when the server accidentally spilled soup (like a whole cup of soup inside her bag :shocked::annoyed:) on my "seatmate's" brand new LV bag! It just missed me and my bag by an inch! That said, I learned my lesson well. I don't bring my bag/purse/any leather goods that are very valuable to me where it might possibly get wet or stained. I use my bags and enjoy them......I don't baby them, but I take care of them too.

• Wow
Reactions: 880 and cecchetti
I don’t YET have an exotic H-my everyday bags are a croco Jimmy Choo which I bought new-look after but don’t baby, and a 2011 H Tsako which I actually baby More..although it’s Box..

I’m planning my next H to be a Touch or full Exotic-as I have several Exotic bags and have carried them for many years, I wouldn’t be that worried, as they’re actually quite robust-I prefer alligator to croco personally..but that’s just preference …lizard is less hard wearing but croco I use everyday and nothing happens to it..

H Exotics are beautiful and meant to be carried by the lucky owners!

I don’t YET have an exotic H-my everyday bags are a croco Jimmy Choo which I bought new-look after but don’t baby, and a 2011 H Tsako which I actually baby More..although it’s Box..

I’m planning my next H to be a Touch or full Exotic-as I have several Exotic bags and have carried them for many years, I wouldn’t be that worried, as they’re actually quite robust-I prefer alligator to croco personally..but that’s just preference …lizard is less hard wearing but croco I use everyday and nothing happens to it..

H Exotics are beautiful and meant to be carried by the lucky owners!
Good to have a seasoned voice of experience to help dispel the over delicate perception of croc or gator items.

We can't deny that some of the shiny finishes need care if they get spotted with water droplets, but you only have to look around at the range of obviously old croc or gator bags to see what robust and durable skins they are.