Go vintage or not?

Hi all :smile:

So I'm currently having a major dilemma over here and was hoping if any of you could help me out.
I have been saving up for my very first Chanel bag and initially I wanted something like a Chanel Coco Handle but recently been drawn to her mini camera bags because I like to wear my bags crossbody and I don't carry that much stuff anyway (phone, wallet, lipstick, small camera).

Then I looked for Chanel vintage bags and came across a 1980s vintage camera bag I really liked (photo attached). I was able to find this and other similar styles for like $1300-$1500 and was wondering if it would be a mistake to get one. The condition of most of these bags weren't super but no peeling, just some hardware discoloration.

So here's my dillema: I want a camera bag and I could
1) buy a Chanel vintage camera bag (1.3k) ,
2) save up just a little bit more and buy the newest camera bag (attached, I believe its like 3k),
3) get Gucci soho disco bag and save up a little more and go for Chanel classic or boy or coco handle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Attachments

• n.jpg
    n.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 534
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 12.51.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 12.51.04 PM.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 509
I'm probably biased (considering what forum you're posting this in!) but I'm not such a fan of the Gucci Disco; I would choose a vintage Chanel camera bag over that. And with the price difference, I'd probably go vintage over a new camera bag too - I have a feeling the hardware quality is better, and there's a lot of hardware on the camera bags (not just the Cs and the chain but even the "nub" for the tassel), I would hate for that to tarnish or fade, which some people with newer GHW have complained about. Your savings on getting vintage over new can also go towards your future classic or Boy or coco handle! :tup:

Reactions: M@dison
I'm probably biased (considering what forum you're posting this in!) but I'm not such a fan of the Gucci Disco; I would choose a vintage Chanel camera bag over that. And with the price difference, I'd probably go vintage over a new camera bag too - I have a feeling the hardware quality is better, and there's a lot of hardware on the camera bags (not just the Cs and the chain but even the "nub" for the tassel), I would hate for that to tarnish or fade, which some people with newer GHW have complained about. Your savings on getting vintage over new can also go towards your future classic or Boy or coco handle! :tup:

Thank you so much for helping me out here!
I wasn't loving Disco either and really wasn't too thrilled about being the last person on earth to buy it at such jacked up price. Anyway, I think I will be okay with a vintage with tarnished hardware but for a new one that costs that much, probably will not be cool with it lol. I love the idea of using the savings toward the future Chanel bag so I guess I'll be starting my Chanel with this vintage piece :biggrin:! Super SUPER logical, thanks a bunch!!!!

I love the vintage camera bags. For +/- 1.5 though you should be getting one with gold plated hardware, and hence no tarnish in the metal (to me that is one of the main points of vintage Chanel). You can also check the reissue camera bags, you should be able to get one in great condition at that price point.

The Gucci disco is a great bag IMO, but if you like the Chanel look, a vintage camera bag is a great alternative for more or less the same price. And then you can save towards a new classic flap.

I love the vintage camera bags. For +/- 1.5 though you should be getting one with gold plated hardware, and hence no tarnish in the metal (to me that is one of the main points of vintage Chanel). You can also check the reissue camera bags, you should be able to get one in great condition at that price point.

The Gucci disco is a great bag IMO, but if you like the Chanel look, a vintage camera bag is a great alternative for more or less the same price. And then you can save towards a new classic flap.

Thanks for your comment! I think the size of that Gucci bag is super ideal (plus the red color is just so gorgeous) and that's why I feel more drawn to Chanel's vintage camera bags but I'll definitely check out reissue camera bags! So if I was told that there is a "light wear to the hardware due to it's age," should I be worried? XD

Reactions: Wei Wei and doni
Thanks for your comment! I think the size of that Gucci bag is super ideal (plus the red color is just so gorgeous) and that's why I feel more drawn to Chanel's vintage camera bags but I'll definitely check out reissue camera bags! So if I was told that there is a "light wear to the hardware due to it's age," should I be worried? XD

I think it depends on the wear. Scratches are fine. Gold jewellery scratches too, it is part of the look. But tarnishing or decoloration is something different in my view. I would not go with that personally.

Hi IMO I'd ask seller for more closeup photos on natural daylight so I can see the amount of wear there is to the hardware. Some sellers are great cos they are a bit OCD and list even the tiniest scratch so buyers are aware but there are even more who don't really pay too much attention to detail and overlook scuffs and scratches and fading to hardware. If you are picky and fading to the gold plating bothers you, I'd be more diligent in asking for more photos esp for bags you are not able to inspect in person. Also, check for smells, some vintage bags can be pretty smelly, esp if kept in a home with pets and tenants who smoke. 3rd but not least, I'd recommend doing a bit more research into the approximate price the vintage bags go for as some good bargains can be found where condition is amazing for the price V's others which are in poor condition but listed waaay overpriced.. Hope this helps and hope you find your vintage camera bag soon=)

I would recommend going for a vintage camera bag over the latest season's offerings....I personally find the leather has a papery feel :sad:

I'd recommend that you spend a bit more time looking around as you'll find that there are so many of them in the secondary market - styles, sizes, leathers, hardware finishes, etc. Keep hunting and looking at all the different camera bags and you should be be able to find "the one" that suits your taste and budget (...and once you get your first one, you'll probably want another one real soon....ha ha ha)

Good luck in the hunt!

The vintage camera bag has so much more character than the newer version (but then again, I'm a sucker for Vintage Chanel ;)). Just a smidge of Meltonian cream and that lambskin will shine like new.

The vintage camera bag has so much more character than the newer version (but then again, I'm a sucker for Vintage Chanel ;)). Just a smidge of Meltonian cream and that lambskin will shine like new.

Looking at these vintage chanel bags makes me droooooool, they are all so gorgeous! :smile: I'll definitely get my hands on that Meltonian cream! Do you own any vintage chanel bags and do you think its good to start with these camera bags or are there other bags out there that aren't huge but still spacious enough to be perfect for everyday?

Hi IMO I'd ask seller for more closeup photos on natural daylight so I can see the amount of wear there is to the hardware. Some sellers are great cos they are a bit OCD and list even the tiniest scratch so buyers are aware but there are even more who don't really pay too much attention to detail and overlook scuffs and scratches and fading to hardware. If you are picky and fading to the gold plating bothers you, I'd be more diligent in asking for more photos esp for bags you are not able to inspect in person. Also, check for smells, some vintage bags can be pretty smelly, esp if kept in a home with pets and tenants who smoke. 3rd but not least, I'd recommend doing a bit more research into the approximate price the vintage bags go for as some good bargains can be found where condition is amazing for the price V's others which are in poor condition but listed waaay overpriced.. Hope this helps and hope you find your vintage camera bag soon=)
I would recommend going for a vintage camera bag over the latest season's offerings....I personally find the leather has a papery feel :sad:

I'd recommend that you spend a bit more time looking around as you'll find that there are so many of them in the secondary market - styles, sizes, leathers, hardware finishes, etc. Keep hunting and looking at all the different camera bags and you should be be able to find "the one" that suits your taste and budget (...and once you get your first one, you'll probably want another one real soon....ha ha ha)

Good luck in the hunt!
I think it depends on the wear. Scratches are fine. Gold jewellery scratches too, it is part of the look. But tarnishing or decoloration is something different in my view. I would not go with that personally.

Thank you all for helping me out! Really appreciated!!

So I guess the consensus here is that vintage=good (better) but do a bit more research to get the right one in right price! :smile: I just wish all (or most) stores will accept returns for free or something so I can purchase with no worries!
I just feel like with these vintage bags I fear it'll be out of stock and I'll be left going whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy and bawl my eyes out lol. I guess if that happens its just not meant to be mine :smile:

Looking at these vintage chanel bags makes me droooooool, they are all so gorgeous! :smile: I'll definitely get my hands on that Meltonian cream! Do you own any vintage chanel bags and do you think its good to start with these camera bags or are there other bags out there that aren't huge but still spacious enough to be perfect for everyday?

I actually collect Vintage Jumbos...I'm looking to get a vintage lambskin medium/large flap to add to my collection (coz I need a smaller bag even though I'm a Jumbo queen lol). I think as your first piece, you should start with a vintage medium/large flap. It's just the right size and can fit all your daily essentials. A camera bag is also a good option but for me personally, it wouldn't be my first Chanel piece...I tend to favor the classic flaps. Do whatever tickles your fancy though...this is just my 2 cents.

I agree with the others and would go for the vintage Chanel camera bag and save up on getting the boy or coco handle later! HTH

I am too impatient to wait till I save up for boy or coco so I think I'll do just that!!! thanks!!

I actually collect Vintage Jumbos...I'm looking to get a vintage lambskin medium/large flap to add to my collection (coz I need a smaller bag even though I'm a Jumbo queen lol). I think as your first piece, you should start with a vintage medium/large flap. It's just the right size and can fit all your daily essentials. A camera bag is also a good option but for me personally, it wouldn't be my first Chanel piece...I tend to favor the classic flaps. Do whatever tickles your fancy though...this is just my 2 cents.

That sounds like an awesome plan actually. I've been doing more digging and I'm leaning more towards Chanel diana bag and medium flap :biggrin: So many goodies omg this is going to drive me crazy until I find the perfect one hehe. Thank you so much !!

Don't get the Gucci Disco. The strap is short unless you have the body fat of a Greyhound. Save and get the new camera bag.

LOL!! Okay I def don't have a body fat of a greyhound so definitely a big no it is then hahaha