Go-to quickie meal

1. When you’re ravenous what is your go-to quickie meal that you turn to? I’m trying to brainstorm options to deter me from always eating out. Thank you in advance!

2. Not exactly the healthiest options, but I keep Trader Joe's mandarin chicken or flatbreads in my freezer for nights like that. Spaghetti carbonara is a very quick meal I can whip together as long as I remember to keep pancetta on hand.

BagLadyT likes this.
  3. I like munching on cheesesticks, brie, mini babybel. I'm not the pickiest eater, though. I'll also eat eggs any time of the day.

BagLadyT likes this.
  4. I always cook large batches of taco meat, bolognese sauce, and soups and then freeze them in small ziplock bags. I lay them flat to freeze so that it's easier to take out the bag and heat. When we need a quick meal, anyone can grab a bag and empty it right into a pot...no need to defrost.

snibor, Mayfly285 and BagLadyT like this.
  5. That's a good idea to freeze flat. I'm going to try that!

josieblime likes this.
  6. Egg flower soup. Heat low salt chicken broth to boil, transfer to bowl or mug, add one raw egg, and stir briskly with a whisk or fork.

I always have hard boiled eggs in the frig. I can eat them with salt & pepper, make deviled eggs, or slice into a salad. If caviar is in the frig, I make deviled eggs with it.

Pork chops are fast and easy. Just saute in a pan with Worcestershire sauce.

I keep really good canned soup in the cupboard, like Amy's and Wolfgang Puck. I heat up a bowl and add herbs, chili oil, or Worcestershire sauce.

Turkey bacon or bacon is a tasty addition to eggs or soup.

When basil is in season, I make pesto complete with parmesan and freeze in ice cube trays. When frozen solid, I transfer to baggies. This way I can saute a boneless, skinless chicken thigh or breast and put a melted cube of pesto on it for lots of flavor.

Alfredo sauce from the deli works well for chicken, too.

When I make stew in the slow cooker, I double the recipe and freeze servings in plastic containers.

btw - I avoid grains and starches. When I am tired and hungry, that's what I want and they are not good for me. So I don't keep them in the house.

Now that a tPF poster taught me to put portions in baggies and freeze flat, that's what I will be doing from now on. Thanks!

BagLadyT likes this.
  7. My go-to meal are lamb chops with sauteed kale and homemade mashed potatoes. It doesn't take me a long time to complete and very satisfying!

BagLadyT likes this.
  8. Sounds amazing!

9. Great ideas, I'm going to have to steal these!