Go-To Bag: Kelly 32, Kelly 35, or SO Kelly?

McLoverly

O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
I know that I'm being naughty, but I'm about to break my ban. I've sold five bags this summer and I'd like to add one more to my collection.

I am looking for a grab-and-go bag that can be worn to meetings or a quick post-workout coffee run. I need something that can fit an 11 inch iPad Pro w/ keyboard, sunglasses, small makeup bag, wallet, keys, mini notepad, hand sanitizer, etc. I own Kelly bags in 28, 32, and 35. I frequently wear my 28 and my 32, but that's largely due to color. My 35 is chocolate and it doesn't fit my wardrobe as well. I'm just under 5'2 and between 100-110 lbs (love those hormones).

I've always wanted a colorful SO Kelly, but I wonder if that will meet my needs. I rarely wear my colored bags and have started selling them off. I'm also concerned that things will get lost in the SO Kelly. I think it would be a squeeze to fit things in a Kelly 32, which is why I rarely use my 32 for work. That leaves me with a Kelly 35 in a neutral color. Do you think the 35 will dwarf me? Too formal for errands in gym attire? Do you love your SO Kelly and find it formal enough for work or dinner?

I welcome all feedback!

Reactions: Etriers
Apr 15, 2007
I don't think the 35 will dwarf you. I think you have to find the size that you are comfortable with & give yourself
a chance to get used to using that Kelly 35 on more of a regular basis.
Even though you have a 35 in chocolate, perhaps pick it up & wear it with a pair of jeans or more casual
attire & see how you feel carrying the bag. Only you can make that call
I prefer the 35 to the 32.. I use the Kelly bag in almost all aspects of my life except to use at a formal event
( think it is too big)
There are H colors that read so differently in a 32 than a 35 & vice versa.
Since you mention that you rarely wear your colored bags & should you have one left,why not pull one out & try it again.
Color sometimes takes a little bit of time for your eye to adjust.
The 32 as well as the 35 works for work as well as dinner. For any evening more formal event, a smaller
bag would work for me.. but that's me

Etriers

Sep 2, 2019
East Coast
I don't think the 35 will dwarf you. I think you have to find the size that you are comfortable with & give yourself
Even though you have a 35 in chocolate, perhaps pick it up & wear it with a pair of jeans or more casual
I prefer the 35 to the 32.. I use the Kelly bag in almost all aspects of my life except to use at a formal event
( think it is too big)
Since you mention that you rarely wear your colored bags & should you have one left,why not pull one out & try it again.
The 32 as well as the 35 works for work as well as dinner. For any evening more formal event, a smaller
I only have B’s but love the K35. With the single handle, can you load the K35 with all of that stuff (iPad, make up kit, etc.) and have it not bend/break/sag?

Reactions: McLoverly
Apr 15, 2007
I only have B’s but love the K35. With the single handle, can you load the K35 with all of that stuff (iPad, make up kit, etc.) and have it not bend/break/sag?
Personally, I don't carry in any of my bags an iPad but I do carry my fourbi which is loaded,
several karos (both pm & gm sizes) piccolos, eye glass case, calvi,perfume atomizer, agenda,bearn wallet & other assorted 'stuff"
& have not had a problem with sagging or any type of breaks or bending.
The Kelly is a pretty balanced bag when it comes to weight I have found over the years
I also don't use the shoulder strap on my Kelly..

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 880 and Etriers
Jan 15, 2011
I think a Kelly 35 is fine for these purposes (retourné). It may look a little large when carried by strap but frankly so will any work bag. I am around your size, maybe a touch smaller, and I can carry a 35 by hand; when it's on my shoulder it looks like a work bag.
I think this small Kelly craze (which I'm in lol) is driven by the idea of the Kelly as either a casual day bag or as an elegant day to evening bag, not as a work bag - but Kellys look great in any size.

I can't see the iPad fitting well in a So Kelly but I don't own one so maybe I am visualizing the interior incorrectly.

Reactions: loh and Etriers

McLoverly

O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
( think it is too big)
I’m leaning towards the 35 in a durable and neutral leather. My 32 is BB, and I love it. I tried on my 35 again the other day and it really is a great suze

Personally, I don't carry in any of my bags an iPad but I do carry my fourbi which is loaded,
several karos (both pm & gm sizes) piccolos, eye glass case, calvi,perfume atomizer, agenda,bearn wallet & other assorted 'stuff"
& have not had a problem with sagging or any type of breaks or bending.
The Kelly is a pretty balanced bag when it comes to weight I have found over the years
I also don't use the shoulder strap on my Kelly..
I’m glad that you’re able to fit so much!
My SO and I don’t live together, but I spend 4-5 nights a week at his house. With Covid outings are limited, but we do frequently take our computers and work at a local outdoor coffee shop/wine garden. I want to be able to bring the basics for working outside and have a bag that I can still use for meetings or a casual evening with a girlfriend

I’d be super careful carrying an iPad in any of these. From experience - the weight can stretch out the handle, or hasten the visibility of the back zipper through the back side of the bag (from the iPad leaning onto it).
Do you think a bag organizer would help? I won’t always have the iPad, but I’d like the option.

I think a Kelly 35 is fine for these purposes (retourné). It may look a little large when carried by strap but frankly so will any work bag. I am around your size, maybe a touch smaller, and I can carry a 35 by hand; when it's on my shoulder it looks like a work bag.
I think this small Kelly craze (which I'm in lol) is driven by the idea of the Kelly as either a casual day bag or as an elegant day to evening bag, not as a work bag - but Kellys look great in any size.

I can't see the iPad fitting well in a So Kelly but I don't own one so maybe I am visualizing the interior incorrectly.
Unfortunately, I don’t have much opportunity to test out a SO Kelly.

demicouture

@babymoghi
O.G.
Mar 13, 2007
I have carried my black togo Kelly 35 literally everywhere on my shoulders (with the thin strap it comes with). Running errands, to work on endless travels and it is until today my most worn bag BUT also the best looking one still!
I would given the option possibly go for the 32 as I am not tall but overall, this 35 has served me really well and has been perfect also for travelling and stuffing everything in it that I needed :smile:

• Love
Reactions: 880 and McLoverly

LouiseCPH

Feb 22, 2012
I own three So Kelly 22 , and I use them for work carrying my surface computer occasionally. It’s the design of the bag that it does not close tight, and that means it is possible to stuff it more or less :smile:

I think it is a great everyday bag - elegant AND practical.

PS: I am 160 cm

8521CE8E-C861-479F-88BD-94C4544303CB.jpeg

F4646B6A-BDC3-4474-8A9B-3939109BDC9A.jpeg