Glazed Leather? - scuffs

Lune de Miel

meow.
O.G.
Jun 27, 2007
Hi All,
I did do a search for glazed leather, but the replies didn't really answer my question. I have some pairs of Prada shoes that I'd like to sell, from circa 2001-2003, but they have slight scuffs on the inner heels from rubbing against one another. I'd like to clean and/or polish them, but want to avoid taking them to a professional, as my goal is obviously to *make* money, not spend it. My first question is: are they likely glazed leather, or is the leather just really shiny? Second, if they are glazed leather, how can I remove or reduce the scuffs? Thanks in advance for your help ;)

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
Only you will know if it is glazed leather or not. Glazed leather does crack, scuff, wear and actually, I think it looks better with wear. I use leather lotion on my glazed bag but it just makes it look "healthier" but it doesn't take away scratches/scuffs. Good luck.

Bomshell

Jan 11, 2009
Here are 2 things you can try that have consistently worked for me in the past:

Be super careful & spot test an inconspicuous area first, but I have had great success removing scuff marks from glazed/patent (basically shiny) leather or man-made material with a cotton ball or q-tip and non-acetone nail polish remover. (It is critical that you use NON-acetone because acetone will eat the material away). This removes scuff marks from any non-porous surface, like patent leather, plastic, vinyl, etc. It also evaporates quickly so even if you dribble on another part of the shoe you don't have to panic--but like I said, use with caution. In fact, I have a few pairs of light-colored shoes with black soles that I have to clean using this method every so often and I have not had any long-term consequences from doing so.

Something else I have had major success with is a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser--that thing will remove scuffs from just about anything, and all you need is water. I would probably try this first before you go the nail-polish remover route, but as I said I have had success with both methods. One word of caution with the Magic Eraser--use a gentle touch because if you over do it you could rub the shine itself right off. Good luck!

Lune de Miel

meow.
O.G.
Jun 27, 2007
thanks Bomshell! I'm not sure about the nail polish remover, b/c I wouldn't say it's nonporous (I guess it's not glazed leather, just *highly* polished. I LOVE the Magic Eraser though, just did all my walls, so I'll try that first. thanks again!