Glaze coating on leather...how do you preserve it?

HappyAngel

O.G.
Apr 23, 2006
Generally, how often do you use your bbag before the glaze coating on the leather DISAPPEAR?? Can a broken in bbag still have some glaze on the leather?? Also, if you don't touch or rub the bbag (like the front part of the bbag), will the glaze eventually disappear still? Does putting heavy things in your bag stretch the leather causing the glaze coating to disappear? I love the shiny look & I want to preserve it!!! LOL....If that makes sense. :roflmfao: Any comments will be great!! Thanks in advance :heart:

Actually, there is no such thing as "glaze" on bbags :yes:

The glossiness comes from a chrome finishing process and not a glaze at all.

My 05 Teal work is extremely broken in and has a bit of fading on the top corners, but it's still totally glossy.

I think what breaks that down is wear on the leather itself, anything that changes the finish of the leather (ie products, moisturizers, etc).

http://forum.purseblog.com/balencia...ut-balenciaga-leather-from-artbag-179471.html

From the care card: "This leather item was created by expert craftsmen from carefully selected materials. The special tanning process and later re-tanning with chrome and special oils leave teh leather soft and smooth. Any irregularities are inherent features of the leather. This leather is naturally colour fast and is not subjected to protective and water-repellance treatments. The reactions to contact with water and the change in colour, a result of rubbing and above all use of the item, are to be considered aesthetic features that are a further guarantee of its genuine nature. The cracking texture is deliberately done in a non-uniform manner to achieve a vintage effect. Our staff is on hand for any further information and needs."

Not ignorant at all :nogood:

I thought it was a glaze too.

But then I spent some time with Barbara at LMB and she explained that part of why BBags are soooo hard to fix is that Balenciaga won't reveal their secret tanning process.

So anything LMB or anyone does to repair a BBag changes the finish.

For instance, they sell Shine Restorer but it's not so much a "restorer" but a new gloss application. A substitute if you will.