Travel Glasgow - advice on choosing an area for stay

Peura

Oct 1, 2007
Calling for any glaswegian tPFers!

I will be travelling to Glasgow, Scotland this autumn for a work related stay lasting for 10 weeks + a fortnight for holiday. My accommodation will be arranged for me but I can make wishes about the area. I was hoping someone here could advice me about the city! Perhaps this thread could be useful also to someone who is thinking of staying there with an AirBnB option.

Now, I've visited Glasgow twice _ten years_ before and I remember there were times I didn't feel quite secure walking around. The bus station was one place and the second was a cutish residential area full of brick row houses. Unfortunately I can't remember where that was. At the time I was studying in Edinburgh and I got the same kind of chills in my spine when I walked in Craigmillar. I went to see the castle ruins without any preconceptions about the area, to tell you the truth. There was just this kind of uneasyness and general bad mood which seemed to be the prevailing atmosphere, and I would very much like to avoid that if I can!

And of course a decade is a long time: areas change, people change, perhaps even cities change. My home city certainly has become a lot more nicer with better services, etc. Although I'm afraid a certain kind of cycle of ill-feeling related to substance abuse can be long-lasting. Here at home I know which streets I need to avoid to stay positive myself, but when it comes to Glasgow I would very much appreciate any help from this community :smile:

My work place will be situated to the west of Queen's Park. I think it would be ideal if I could walk to work. Do you think it would be OK for me to stay close or would you advise/recommend something else?

Thanks in advance!

Queens Park is on the South Side, and a bit further out from the City Centre. If you were to say in the City Centre however, it would be easy for transportation as there is a Queens Park train station (you can get the train from Glasgow Central), and also quite good bus links.

If you stay in Queens Park or neighbouring Shawlands (nice area, private schools, etc), then you could easily get a train to the City Centre in your free time and from here, visit the West End (nice bars, clubs, Glasgow University nearby, and some great vintage and second-hand stores) or even get a train to Edinburgh from Glasgow Queen Street station (it doesn't take very long)

I agree with Lee that living near Queens Park / Shawlands would be fine in terms of getting to work but public transport in Glasgow is very accessible so I would recommend looking into staying in the West End (Byres Road area would be most enjoyable for a 12 week stay) or alternatively have a look at Merchant City in the city centre (Albion st., Brunswick st., Ingram st.) as this area has a good buzz about it and it is a 5 minute walk to Queen St station / 10 minutes walk to Central station.

I can see how someone who is not familiar with the city could feel unsure about walking around Glasgow alone but the city is really harmless and is full of friendly people. There are certain places I wouldn't walk to after dark but that would be true in any major city. I have lived in the East / City Centre area of the city all of my 25 years and can honestly say that I have never come across any trouble. I hope you enjoy Glasgow, if you need any suggestions just ask - it has so much to offer :smile:

I agree with Lee that living near Queens Park / Shawlands would be fine in terms of getting to work but public transport in Glasgow is very accessible so I would recommend looking into staying in the West End (Byres Road area would be most enjoyable for a 12 week stay) or alternatively have a look at Merchant City in the city centre (Albion st., Brunswick st., Ingram st.) as this area has a good buzz about it and it is a 5 minute walk to Queen St station / 10 minutes walk to Central station.

I can see how someone who is not familiar with the city could feel unsure about walking around Glasgow alone but the city is really harmless and is full of friendly people. There are certain places I wouldn't walk to after dark but that would be true in any major city. I have lived in the East / City Centre area of the city all of my 25 years and can honestly say that I have never come across any trouble. I hope you enjoy Glasgow, if you need any suggestions just ask - it has so much to offer :smile:

Off topic - but it is nice to have a fellow Glaswegian here on TPF :biggrin:

I'll leave it to the locals to advise you where to stay. I can tell you that I traveled to Glasgow two years ago and stayed near the city centre. My Fiance was there on business and had to work during the day, so I did a lot of walking around and sightseeing on my own. I can honestly say that everyone was really friendly and I never once felt concerned for my safety. I didn't go out at night by myself, but I won't do that in any foreign country. Have fun! There are lots of cool things to see and do.

If you do want to venture out and want any restaurant or bar suggestions, let me know. I am a big foodie and have been to a lot of places in the city so am happy to recommend :smile: