Giving pet up for adoption

leeem

Jan 25, 2007
Has anyone given up their dog up to an animal shelter? My sister's house was recently foreclosed on and she has two miniature pinschers that she doesn't have the means to care for anymore. We are trying to looking into no-kill shelters. Anybody knows how any of this works? Any information would be helpful.

balena

Mar 5, 2009
I'm sorry to hear that your sister's house is foreclosed on.

Your sister's best bet is to look for a rescue organization in her area. PetFinder is usually touted for looking for animals but doing a search with her zip code can also bring up the names of shelters and organizations in her area.
Pet Harbor is another good site for searching for shelters/agencies:
http://www.petharbor.com/WelcomeFrameSet.htm

A "no kill" shelter may not PTS any animals on that premises but sometimes they will swap animals with other shelters who do PTS animals after a set amount of time (surrender/stray holds can vary from 3-7 days, depends on where you are and the agency itself).

On the bright side, smaller dogs are often easier for rescues to find foster homes for and also get adopted quicker out of shelters. I hope for the best outcome for your sister and her pups.

boxermom

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
^^^^I agree that a silver lining to this cloud is that smaller dogs may have a better chance of adoption. I've only known one MinPin and he was a sweetheart.

First I would try to search for a breed-specific rescue group. That's how we have found our Boxers. They usually go to extra lengths to transport and care for the dogs they learn about. Next best is a good no-kill shelter.

Good luck to you. And best wishes/good luck to your sister--this must be an awful added stress to everything else that is going on.

Adriane

O.G.
Mar 3, 2006
^^^ Yes, this !! Google rescue sites in your area. They are equipped to handle and adopt out these precious pups. Some even have waiting lists. I hope her Min Pins find great homes and condolences to your sister on the loss of hers.

aklein

Dec 30, 2007
I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's situation. I would also like to suggest you or your sister get in touch with your vet. They're a great resource and probably have several rescue groups that are clients.

chessmont

O.G.
Aug 22, 2006
I'm so sorry to hear of her hardships. She has to do what she has to do. No shame or blame in that. Best wishes for finding a good place where she won't have to worry. But sometimes it isn't possible. I hope it is for this pup .I'll bet there is good breed rescue for min pins - have her find the ph# for the AKC national min pin club, they can refer her to one in her state which may have a rescue part of the club...

Last edited:

gypsybiker59

wag more, bark less
Jun 7, 2008
As others have suggested, I really hope that your sister can get the dogs to breed rescue, they will find the best homes possible. I'm very sorry your sister is going through this, it's very sad for all involved.

shy*violet

I heart PINK!
Mar 9, 2008
Has anyone given up their dog up to an animal shelter? My sister's house was recently foreclosed on and she has two miniature pinschers that she doesn't have the means to care for anymore. We are trying to looking into no-kill shelters. Anybody knows how any of this works? Any information would be helpful.

Check with local shelters for food programs. Some non-profit animal shelters in my area have programs where people can request dog/cat food if they are in a financial bind & can't afford to feed them.

Otherwise, check for a breed-rescue group to put them in foster care until they find forever homes.

stellamaried

Happy Happy Joy Joy
O.G.
May 29, 2006
what about an ad in the paper free to good home ?

FYI, it's generally a good idea to charge a rehoming fee (which you can always waive if you find a good home). It helps weed out people with bad intentions (looking for bait dogs, etc.). Still, OP should try posting on Craigslist or in a paper. Just screen carefully.

Also, if her min pins came from a good breeder, contact the breeder.