givenchy or bal as every day bag? need your thoughts ladies...

purplum

orange lover
O.G.
Jul 5, 2009
What do you think is best suited as an everyday bag? I'm a Bal girl at :heart: and lately I've been thinking of getting a purse aside from Bal. I have a couple of Bal bags already and I kinda want something "new". lol KWIM then I saw photos of nightingale's from resellers and I was able to try/feel it at a bag reseller store here. I kinda like the fact that it has a lot of space inside (medium size), am I right? :biggrin: plus, it looks very discreet.. you know, no "in-your-face" logo on the bag.. I love bags that are discreet lol

so, my concern is, do you think it will be a good everyday bag? which bal style, in terms of storage, can you compare a medium sized nightingale? lastly, does it require a lot of babying more than bal bags?

thanks ladies :smile:

What do you think is best suited as an everyday bag? I'm a Bal girl at :heart: and lately I've been thinking of getting a purse aside from Bal. I have a couple of Bal bags already and I kinda want something "new". lol KWIM then I saw photos of nightingale's from resellers and I was able to try/feel it at a bag reseller store here. I kinda like the fact that it has a lot of space inside (medium size), am I right? :biggrin: plus, it looks very discreet.. you know, no "in-your-face" logo on the bag.. I love bags that are discreet lol

so, my concern is, do you think it will be a good everyday bag? which bal style, in terms of storage, can you compare a medium sized nightingale? lastly, does it require a lot of babying more than bal bags?

thanks ladies :smile:

Hmm, lots of questions here, let me tackle those that I can. Be rest assured someone else with even more knowledge will come along with more input.

Let's work backwards:

"does it require a lot of babying more than bal bags?" - I have to say no. Most ladies will let you know that they don't baby their nightingale. I'm one of them. Mine has been through the rain and come out unscathed! I would panic if either my work or We experienced as much water as my nightingale has. Take a look in the Care sticky. You'll notice there is almost no discussion :P

"which bal style, in terms of storage, can you compare a medium sized nightingale?"
- Hmm, firstly, there is some inconsistency in Givenchy sizing, at least when it comes to the nightingale. My medium is about 14" at the base. I have seen some with an 18" base that did not look as big as the large or maxi nightingales. Anyway, if you consider a nightingale my size (14"), it carries about as much as my bal work does. That's because the bag expands, you know? Hopefully someone with a city will chime in on the size/capacity comparisons for you. I'd like to know as well, but I believe the medium nightingale will carry more than a city.

"do you think it will be a good everyday bag?" - Yes indeedy! (See above). Plus, as you yourself noted, and I quote, "... it looks very discreet.. you know, no "in-your-face" logo on the bag...". I also find the shoulder strap handy.

It wouldn't surprise me if many of us Givenchy owners also own/have owned Balenciaga bags. Basically, if you choose to come over to the 'Givenchy side', I don't think you will regret it. It took me a little while to warm up to my bag once I got it (sub-par seller), but I love it now and am very happy to have it in my collection.

Good luck!

I've had both Givenchy and Bal bags in the past and Givenchy hands down gets my vote.
The first week using my Bals, they started to show wear on the corners. I was very disappointed.

If you're going for an everyday bag, Givenchy ticks all the boxes IMO. It is as previously stated, under-the-radar and very fashion-forward. I have only one Givenchy right now but can see myself getting more. I feel very sophisticated yet edgy when wearing mine - the best of both worlds.

I don't baby my bags either - still looks great.

ITA with the other posters. I love bal but quality wise they leave a lot to be desired IMO and all the price hikes when they are taking things away from their products do not justify the increases. You should go for a givenchy you won't be disappointed.

I have both Bal and Givenchy...though my Givenchy is Pandora. What I like about it is that it's not common....Bal is getting more mainstream and I don't like that

Aluxe, aloutette, pixiejenna thank you so much for sharing your knowledge on givenchy's and bal's :smile: actually, when I tried and checked the bag, I was surprised when I opened it cause it sure looked like it can carry a lot. And I love that, like Bal, they release different colors. I can see myself collecting other colors lol

nielnielniel, ITA with you on Bal getting more mainstream now. when I started with Bal, it still wasn't as mainstream as it was now (well, here in my country that is). I think everyone here caught the Bal bug hence its getting more common here nowadays.

I would definitely go for a Givenchy because it's so under the radar and even has better quality leather than Bal IMHO. The Nightingale is also more versatile (can be dressy and casual)....Bal bags to me tend to look too casual most of the time. Also if you're concerned about the durability of the leather, just go for a calf skin Nightingale instead of a lamb or sheep skin one.

Hi there,
I have both a Bal (City) and a Nightingale. I would vote hands down that my Nightingale can hold a significantly larger amount of documents than my City and because of that, I've been using it consistently since the day it arrived! I would think a better comparison to the Nightingale would be a Bal Work, sizewise. It was funny that I was reading this post because last night I walked in my closet and played with my Bal City because I haven't carried it in so long. My Bal City expands but not as much as my Nightingale! I don't baby my bags and my Bal City has shown it's wear and tear, but I personally think it looks better. My Nightingale has a few ripples in my handles but nothing that is remotely noticeable and I love it. It expands to insane measurements.....Go for Givenchy!!!

DisCo, I agree with you that bal most of time looks more casual. It's not something I can use on a nightout/dinner with friends. sup3rlu, Shoegal30, thank you for your inputs too! :smile:

LADIES! I finally gave in and got a black medium nightingale. I'm so happy!!! :smile: thank you so much for all your help!! :smile:

DisCo, I agree with you that bal most of time looks more casual. It's not something I can use on a nightout/dinner with friends. sup3rlu, Shoegal30, thank you for your inputs too! :smile:

LADIES! I finally gave in and got a black medium nightingale. I'm so happy!!! :smile: thank you so much for all your help!! :smile:
Don't forget to send in some mod pics :P

Congratulations!!! Please share pics when it arrives!

Shoegal30, Aluxe, will post mod pics soon! :smile: so happy with my decision to get a nightingale because you're right, it definitely can carry more than my cities and pt's.

Happy holidays loves! :smile: cheers!