GIVENCHY APPOINTS MATTHEW M. WILLIAMS AS CREATIVE DIRECTOR

Don't know this guy, but reading up on him it sounds like he's style is closer to Tisci, which I did enjoy. However, Tisci's execution enjoyed popularity at a point in time, so I can't wait to see how Williams does it. Kind of different to learn he has no formal design training, but will see how that fares. I do want to see Fashion or any industry as a matter of fact, try something new. Old way is not always the best way.

Honestly, kinda excited to see what he brings. Not sure if it will be my style, but he is a pretty good designer. Much better than Virgil at LV in my opinion.

One thing that does upset me though is that all these brands are moving into a "hypebeast" stage, but I really miss the old time glam fashion of the 1980s-2010s.

One thing that does upset me though is that all these brands are moving into a "hypebeast" stage, but I really miss the old time glam fashion of the 1980s-2010s.
I miss that too. I don't really even know what image Givenchy stands for anymore. I used to love their menswear under Ricardo Tisci but since he left, it's just been huge "GIVENCHY" logos in the same font on everything. The last time I saw such big Givenchy logos was on their free gift-with-purchase tote bags that they gave out in the late 90s and early 2000s with the purchase of their fragrance (i.e. Amarige and Organza).

I miss that too. I don't really even know what image Givenchy stands for anymore. I used to love their menswear under Ricardo Tisci but since he left, it's just been huge "GIVENCHY" logos in the same font on everything. The last time I saw such big Givenchy logos was on their free gift-with-purchase tote bags that they gave out in the late 90s and early 2000s with the purchase of their fragrance (i.e. Amarige and Organza).

I totally agree with you. I do wish I got that tote though haha sounds fun. To be totally honest, I feel like the main point of Givenchy now is to just keep production moving and revenue high. It almost feels like LVMH just sacrificed this house as a revenue/hypebeast machine lol

Reactions: averagejoe
He made the iconic roller-coaster buckle that was borrowed by Kim Jones, and that is now a pretty iconic part of his men's collections at Dior. Big buckles are a still a trend and I would be very surprised if he didn't make some kind of version of that for Givenchy. I actually like ALyx accessories quite a lot, the Brie bag is really nice, but some of the individual items are extremely similar to Dior men's (or the other way around), like the belts and the tiny backpacks. Of course Dior has more to offer than the buckles and they were more prominent on the first KJ collection. It would be strange though if we ended up with Dior, Alyx and Givenchy having similar buckles on similar items with different logos on them.

I loved, absolutely loved Haute Couture under Clare, it was dreamy, romantic, beautiful and everything Couture should be. I liked her couture vision more than Tisci. But I like to keep an open mind, I am just tired of streetwear and there will be a time when the majority of customers are as well, then these brands will have to scramble and adapt.

I don't really "get" this vision for Givenchy. It really seems to be Alyx but under the Givenchy brand, which feels like nothing truly new or interesting. He has produced some very nice streetwear under his own brand but I guess I'll have to wait and see with this one.

I mean the tailoring looks like something straight out of the previous Alyx collection. :S

I don't really "get" this vision for Givenchy. It really seems to be Alyx but under the Givenchy brand, which feels like nothing truly new or interesting. He has produced some very nice streetwear under his own brand but I guess I'll have to wait and see with this one.

I mean the tailoring looks like something straight out of the previous Alyx collection. :S
I do love his chain rivet G belt. I think it is such an ingenious use of the rivet blended with the letter G. It's a good direction for Givenchy after Riccardo Tisci and Claire Waight Keller.

I do love his chain rivet G belt. I think it is such an ingenious use of the rivet blended with the letter G. It's a good direction for Givenchy after Riccardo Tisci and Claire Waight Keller.

It is quite interesting! I just hope he is able to make subtle tweaks over time to give his Givenchy design work a clear distinction from his work at Alyx such as how Karl was able to give Fendi and Chanel distinct identities.