Give me strength... should I sell a $500 bag to a newbie?

What I would do if they're making an offer to a current listing is explain to them that you won't remove/end the listing early UNTIL the payment has been received. Once you receive payment from PP, then end it.

That's what I would do. I don't care if they have 1 FB rating or 1,000—anybody can screw you with an "offer." Make sure they pay before you end it.

Thanks everyone... I countered and asked them for their other ID to read their feedback but they declined the amount so the point is moot.

I really appreciate your responses.

Is their money just as good as anyone else's?

It is not that. I really like to read my buyer's feedback before I accept an offer. I haven't had an occasion to sell to a person with 0 feedback so I wanted everyone's opinion. IN this case the person did indicate they had been with eBay for 8 years in a follow-up message. I thought it was for the live.com discount (you can only have 3 per eBay ID), but this didn't seem to be the case either. So, why a new ID?

0 feedback just makes me nervous... also quite a few people on here have had people with 0 feedback make offers that are accepted and then poof they are never hear from again.

It is not that. I really like to read my buyer's feedback before I accept an offer. I haven't had an occasion to sell to a person with 0 feedback so I wanted everyone's opinion. IN this case the person did indicate they had been with eBay for 8 years in a follow-up message. I thought it was for the live.com discount (you can only have 3 per eBay ID), but this didn't seem to be the case either. So, why a new ID?

0 feedback just makes me nervous... also quite a few people on here have had people with 0 feedback make offers that are accepted and then poof they are never hear from again.

A lot of people do this now. I have two IDs as well. One for my art auctions, which has a 415 FB, 100% score that I have been on since May 2001, and my other one that only has 25 FB, 100%, since May 2007. I use this one strictly for buying and selling items other than my artwork.

So it could just be possible that this buyer is doing the same thing. You never know. Or their other ID is no longer registered??? I guess the possibilities are endless.

Like you said, it's a moot point.

It doesn't matter to me if they have 0 feedback, if they poof and are never heard from again, then you file the FVF refund and move on, and block them from buying any more of your items in the future. if they are blocked under 1 ID, they are not allowed to buy from you on another id, this is how ebay's policy works and if they try it, they will get NARU on both ID's.

I really don't see what the big deal is but I see it on this forum a lot, people are scared they are going to get scammed by a 0 FB bidder. If you really want to make it so they can't accept the offer and then go poof, change all your listings to "immediate payment required".

If you really want to make it so they can't accept the offer and then go poof, change all your listings to "immediate payment required".

Yes, this is true for BIN and this is how I have them set. However, for best offers when you accept their offer it doesn't require them to immediately pay. Since they offered through best offer, if I click the Accept offer you still have to wait the 7 days to see if they pay and then another 8 days to wait for the FVF to be granted.

While you can file to get the FVF back (as I have had to do three times this month) you do not get the listing fees (currently about $4 a pop for my bags) back.

I do realize this can happen with anyone, 0 feedback or not, but there are so many scams currently going on with fraudulent accounts, people creating new accounts when old ones are closed, that it is just crazy.

Yes, this is true for BIN and this is how I have them set. However, for best offers when you accept their offer it doesn't require them to immediately pay. Since they offered through best offer, if I click the Accept offer you still have to wait the 7 days to see if they pay and then another 8 days to wait for the FVF to be granted.

While you can file to get the FVF back (as I have had to do three times this month) you do not get the listing fees (currently about $4 a pop for my bags) back.

I do realize this can happen with anyone, 0 feedback or not, but there are so many scams currently going on with fraudulent accounts, people creating new accounts when old ones are closed, that it is just crazy.

Well then there you go. You answered your own question. If this happens in the future and you want to accept the offer, then just make a new listing with immediate payment required. Pass the fees for the new listing on to the buyer in the new listing.

I might be biased since I had a 0 FB bidder win an item of mine early this morning and they still havent paid... And this is my second time listing this item as the last winner was a NPB as well...
I don't have high hopes that this person is going to pay, I wish I'd cancelled their bid.
That and there is always the possibility that it is a scammer.
I wouldn't sell something that costs $500 to a n00b, personally.

I might be biased since I had a 0 FB bidder win an item of mine early this morning and they still havent paid... And this is my second time listing this item as the last winner was a NPB as well...
I don't have high hopes that this person is going to pay, I wish I'd cancelled their bid.
That and there is always the possibility that it is a scammer.
I wouldn't sell something that costs $500 to a n00b, personally.

But honestly, with ebay's recent changes towards sellers, how do you stop it?

If a n00b buys your item and pays, and you refund their payment, you become a non-performing seller and can have your account sanctioned.

There is no mechanism in place to block 0 FB bidders.