Gilt sold me a superfake Prada saffiano and refused to accept a return.

Manila128

O.G.
Jun 10, 2012
It happened to me. Unfortunately, I purchased a Prada saffiano cuir double bag in caramel from Gilt.com, which I thought was a reputable seller, before I read the warnings on this forum on saffiano superfakes.

I received the bag and thought something was off. Authenticate4u confirmed that the bag was not authentic. I have a couple of authentic bags of the same exact model and upon comparison, I could see the differences. They were minor, but differences nonetheless.

I emailed Gilt and sent multiple pictures. After taking longer than the 7 day response
period promised, they declined to accept the return.

Lesson learned: I will never buy another item
from Gilt, ever. I was a loyal customer but that ends today.

Please be warned lest they take thousands of dollars from you too.

I am going to go through my credit card company now and of course have to expend hundreds of dollars to prove that the item is fake, which Gilt should have safeguarded against in the first instance. This is not the job of the consumer, who relies on the expertise of luxury retailers. NEVER. AGAIN.

Last edited:
That's not even a good Super Fake! You need to let Gilt know that you plan to contact the authorities if they refuse to take this hideous thing back. It's illegal to sell counterfeit goods.

I agree! The leather looks just weird. I thought gilt was reputable. This is terrible. I hope the OP contacts the authorities.

I agree! The leather looks just weird. I thought gilt was reputable. This is terrible. I hope the OP contacts the authorities.

They wouldn't be the first "normally reputable" reseller to get fooled by one of these. The list is a mile long and growing. The difference will be how they respond to the OP's dispute. If they admit fault and refund, OK. If they fight, then fight back! We've seen Super Fakes at Yoogis, Fashionphile, and endless flash sale sites. No one is immune.

The ultimate test is sending it to Prada in Milan and have THEM say it's fake. OP shouldn't be the one to go that route though. Gilt needs to take that responsibility: THEY sold a counterfeit.

They wouldn't be the first "normally reputable" reseller to get fooled by one of these. The list is a mile long and growing. The difference will be how they respond to the OP's dispute. If they admit fault and refund, OK. If they fight, then fight back! We've seen Super Fakes at Yoogis, Fashionphile, and endless flash sale sites. No one is immune.

The ultimate test is sending it to Prada in Milan and have THEM say it's fake. OP shouldn't be the one to go that route though. Gilt needs to take that responsibility: THEY sold a counterfeit.

I agree!! I am going to go through my credit company now, because it's the path of least resistance. And then I will consider legal action. This is ridiculous! Attached is their response. I had sent them comparison photos of an authentic bag and they don't even acknowledge the glaring differences!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 9,291
I agree!! I am going to go through my credit company now, because it's the path of least resistance. And then I will consider legal action. This is ridiculous! Attached is their response. I had sent them comparison photos of an authentic bag and they don't even acknowledge the glaring differences!!

B...O...L...O...G...N...A... :rant:

It doesn't take a professional authenticator to see the differences between that nasty thing and a real Prada. Clearly these people don't know what they're talking about.

:woohoo:GO GET 'EM MANILA!!!!!
:woohoo:

Normally I don't comment about authenticity but this bag is clearly fake!

Ack, I'm so sorry to hear about this, Manila! :sad:

Good luck getting your money back... As for Gilt, shame on them. They should do right by you, but it looks like they have no intention of doing that. :tdown:

I am so sorry this happened to you. :sad:

This is a terrible fake, I fully agree.

when you bought your authentication, did you buy the full letter?

or, did you just get a quick email authentication?

I ask, because I am wondering if you sent them a copy of
the authentication letter?

I am so sorry this happened to you. :sad:

This is a terrible fake, I fully agree.

when you bought your authentication, did you buy the full letter?

or, did you just get a quick email authentication?

I ask, because I am wondering if you sent them a copy of
the authentication letter?

I only had the email authentication at the time and did not forward the letter to them, which I am now obtaining for my credit card company. I informed them that an authenticating service had determined the bag to be a fake, and provided photos for their review. They did not request a letter from the company, which I did not think necessary at the time because I initially had faith in Gilt's review process, and didn't think it fair that I would have to spend money to be able to return an item that they shouldn't have sold me to begin with.