Gigi Owners: Thoughts about Daily Use

oopsididitagain

»â”€â”€â™¥â”€â”€>
O.G.
Feb 5, 2008
Today as I was using my teal Gigi, I was carrying it around and I accidentally brushed it against my face when I was taking it out of the car because the Gigi is so tall. I was moving it across my body from the passenger's seat out the driver's side door and I thought I got face make-up on it but I luckily did not. It's such a joy (seriously! No sarcasm here, it's GORGEOUS) to carry around but really, what are your honest thoughts about using the Gigi for an everyday bag? Can you go days, weeks using it for your regular purse? I think I will not be able to use it for more than one week at a time, then I'll need a breather with a smaller Coach bag. Don't get me wrong, I love my Gigis and am not having any second thoughts about my being a Gigi owner. I just wonder if there is a tPFer who uses their Gigi on a daily basis so I can relate?

I actually just bought a dark brown signature Gigi to use as my everyday bag this fall/winter. It's a big bag for sure, but I'll be wearing a coat, and I like the option of throwing everything in my bag when it's wet outside (ie. normal bag stuff + umbrella + gloves + scarf + lunch). Seems totally reasonable as an every day bag when I look at it that way.

I have been using the teal gig on a daily basis for the past 2 1/2 weeks and I have no problems. I am careful, but I refuse to be paranoid. There was that unfortunate water ride at the amusement park incident (I'll post pictures later, I am so ashamed that I used my 2 year old's dress to protect my bag LOL).

I have no problems with the weight and there is nothing I don't love about it. As far as scratching the light color, I don't worry about that either. I hardly have a scratch on it and I can't say I have really babied it either. I haven't even got a chance to apple it.

This is really my every day bag. I am going to get the walnut this week. This will be a bag that will last me forever.

Keep in mind I have two little kids. I am soooooo used to schleping around work and diaper bags etc. One slightly heavy bag is nothing! It does not bother me in the least. I have never traveled light in any way. People have always picked up my bags and said "holy crap!" LOL.

The Gigi is a great catch-all bag. Today it also fit my plastic sack full of Sunday School supplies and I could carry everything in just my Gigi. That is a big plus, isn't it? To know that the extra space is available when needed. You gals have a point there. I'm enjoying my break-in period of learning to appreciate this size caliber of a bag. Keep the comments coming, Gigi owners!

abwd: I haven't Appled my teal Gigi yet, either. It's the only leather bag that I haven't Appled yet. It just doesn't look dry and it seems fine the way it is.

I just got a black one last week and I can't wait to use it. I am actually waiting until I condition it and for a few more months. I plan for it to be my bag for later in the season. The weight will not bother me at all. My baby girl is 20+ lbs and my boy is 30+, so this bag is nothing - haha!

Woweee, such strong ladies here! I'm all admiration! I don't think I can carry it with such strength but I admire you all. I have a legacy shoulder flap and that's enough for me and maybe carrying it once a month is enough even though it's my HG bag.

Enjoy your Gigi's y'all!

Take care,

I could use mine everyday. I mainly use it for work travel. I chose sig over leather because I didn't want it to be too heavy to carry. I think it's a great everyday work bag. Now that I am retiring my leather geranium madeline for the fall/winter, my black/khaki sig Gigi will be added to the main rotation again.

LOL...it's funny that you started this thread, Oops! I was thinking of doing the same thing! I dunno if I could use my leather Gigi everyday...and the only reason is because it's SO HEAVY! It's heavy even w/ nothing in it! But I could sit there and stare at it allllll day:cloud9: I had just switched out of it to use my leather Choco Carly for my first day of classes tomorrow--but you've just inspired me to try and use it tomorrow for classes (not as a bookbag of course--I can't subject my Gigi to that much wear). We shall see---I'm thinking I see a backache in my future...lol! But she's sooo worth it!

I could use mine everyday. I mainly use it for work travel. I chose sig over leather because I didn't want it to be too heavy to carry. I think it's a great everyday work bag. Now that I am retiring my leather geranium madeline for the fall/winter, my black/khaki sig Gigi will be added to the main rotation again.
My sig. Gigi is MUCH easier to carry than my leather one! I could use the siggie Gigi everyday.

That's an interesting question. To me I think it works great as an every day bag or travel bag, etc. I carry mine for every day, but last time at the dept. store, a lady was like WHOA, that's a HUGE bag!! LOL, it definitely DOES look huge on my short body...but...I really like large bags if they are satchel/tote styles and not hobos. As far as weight goes, it's not a problem to me, but then also over the weekend, someone flipped over my Peyton, and when I handed it to her, she almost dropped it because she thought it was so heavy. :P

I don't know about day in and out for this bag just because I change my bags almost daily when I go out. I think the thing that would annoy me about the Gigi on a daily basis is that it's tough to stand up on it's own. So you have to prop it, lay it flat, or let it fold over (which can dump contents out of the inner slip pockets). I really like a good size bag I can put down and it stands up on its own (like the Peyton).

Otherwise, I think it's one of the most fabulous bags that Coach has come out with! What a statement bag!! And it's really nice to see a large bag with such yummy thick beautiful leather that's SOOOOOOO much nicer than this thin slickly garcia crap. I'm so disappointed about the new line because while I LOVE the new styles, I just really don't like the leather AT ALL. I bought the Bridgits and a satchel, but every time I look at them and look at my older Legacy bags, I feel like crying!! Coach really ruined a good thing IMO.

[/quote]Otherwise, I think it's one of the most fabulous bags that Coach has come out with! What a statement bag!! And it's really nice to see a large bag with such yummy thick beautiful leather that's SOOOOOOO much nicer than this thin slickly garcia crap. I'm so disappointed about the new line because while I LOVE the new styles, I just really don't like the leather AT ALL. I bought the Bridgits and a satchel, but every time I look at them and look at my older Legacy bags, I feel like crying!! Coach really ruined a good thing IMO.[/quote]

Sorry, your description of the new line had me giggling. I went to the boutique on Sat and wanted to like it, but I just wasn't sold. Maybe it will grow on me. In any case, I will be going to my outlet this week to get my walnut gigi because I figure I gotta get a good thing while I still can.

I wore my gigi to my daughters' (2 & 4) birthday [party yesterday and I got so many compliments! In fact, my friend who has now gone exclusively LV almost fell over when she realized it was a coach bag. She wanted to know where she could get it. :P Why oh why retire such a lovely lady?