Gifting your co-workers (with neutral relationship w/ you) bags you can't sell...

NagaJolokia

Living Hard
Nov 25, 2008
Would you ever give away bags that you do not want but cannot sell to your co-workers that have a neutral relationship with you? If so, what is the most expensive (naming a price you paid for it) that you would gift?
I do not really know these co-workers that well and only talk to them every now and then, but we are at least distant associates. They are both young women who are leaving for lower-paying jobs, unfortunately, because of the abrupt notice of their contracts coming to a close. They can afford little outside of their living expenses unlike me. Would this be too awkward or do you think I should go for it?
What I plan to do if it's "okay" would be asking them which ones they would like out of the cheaper ones that I had planned to sell.

Last edited:
Naga, that's exactly what I did! And I have never seen a happier look on the faces of any of the ladies! I gifted two bags (both Not Rational Mini S.U.B.s) to a acquaintance/coworker and her daughter, and then - I gifted a Olivia Harris Trapezoid satchel in red to a service employee who was going off to college to get her degree in Fine Art (because she was living MY dream, I wanted to give her something that would last and last and was right up her alley. The bag she had was a cheap Walmart vinyl bag).

I couldn't really 'sell' them because I had made minor (better!) modifications to all three bags, so it just felt right to 'gift' them to somebody who would truly appreciate them.

I would go for it - and yes, that's a good plan, ask them which one they like and then - say it's theirs, if they want it. "No, seriously, it's all yours, you're helping me out by allowing me to do a good thing for you" - be prepared with a answer to "No, I can't take that" because both times I had to convince them I hadn't lost my mind.

Last edited:
While a charitable impulse, it sure isn't a guarantee of that person liking the gift. Handbags could be your/our preferred mania, but that's certainly not universal among women. It could be like receiving a lovely teapot from a teapot enthusiast, but you aren't into teapots.

I would be cautious about gifting something without having a good hunch that the other person would like it.

I have done it but they were aware they were used and were not intended as gifts. I just indicated that I like the bags enough that I just didn't want to donate them to Goodwill but rather give them to her instead. The bags were basically too small and ones that were like new - just not ones I use often as I have too many bags. :smile:

I asked her first if she had use for them and wanted them.
Since the bags were used they were never given under the guise of a gift.

Well, in my case, they were gifts - not wrapped, not hidden, not in the traditional sense - but I 'gifted' these ladies with something they could never have afforded for themselves. There were no strings attached, and I made sure beforehand that they would like/appreciate/use them.

I like the OP's original idea.

<--- must look up literal definition of 'gift'

Well, in my case, they were gifts - not wrapped, not hidden, not in the traditional sense - but I 'gifted' these ladies with something they could never have afforded for themselves. There were no strings attached, and I made sure beforehand that they would like/appreciate/use them.

I like the OP's original idea.

<--- must look up literal definition of 'gift'

Yes, by definition you did give them a gift and it was very nice of you to think of them. :smile:

I guess the point I was making is that ( for me) I would not give someone a used item as a formal birthday or Christmas type of gift. Regardless of how expensive the item the receiver ( tho appreciative) is still going to see it as a used item - ie something you are getting rid of as opposed to something you specifically went out and bought new for them. This is why when I give... they know it is used and I don't time the giving with a birthday or Christmas etc.

Unfortunately the receivers may not place as much value on the used item as the giver.

Last edited:
^ah, I get it. Like if I was to give, as a GIFT, a used thing, and try to pass it off as something new. LOL - I'm thinking of the few times I've regifted something to someone else on the OTHER side of the family ... New, but still something for me that I passed on. But that is another thread, aye ...

I would probably ask in a casual conversation what type of designer handbags they like to see how they feel about handbags. Also, would probably ask if they would purchase any used handbags from thrift stores.

If the conversation goes well would gift my bags to the co-workers with a nice card probably outside the work environment maybe at lunch or while walking with the person to their car.

I have gifted many things however not to co - workers.

Thanks for all your responses.

By the way, some of these bags are brand new- haven't been used even once and others are used (up to two weeks total) but are in new condition. The two girls are into bags, but probably not as much as I am; they're just interested in fashion in general without being particularly passionate about any category.

I told one of the girls that I was thinking of giving her and the other one any of my cheaper bags that won't sell on Ebay and told her she's free to take a look at pictures and honestly tell me whether or not she likes any of them. I haven't shown her the pics yet as surprisingly even the bag that I thought would be one of the ones least likely to sell actually sold last Wednesday and is my first sale! We'll see if the buyer actually keeps it and doesn't want to return it though. Oh, I hope so.

Last edited:
I do this as well, I gather up the bags I don't use and are in pristine condition and gift them to women I know. I tried to sell a couple of them but I 'm not an ebay experienced seller or buyer and I couldn't make a sale.
They make lovely gifts and I never regretted it!

I am one who would not suggest giving your unwanted/unsellable bags to coworkers that you don't really have a friendship relationship with. It can be mistaken for charity and your end result could be one that does not bode well for a business relationship regardless of your good intentions. I would suggest perhaps gifting Goodwill, Salvation Army or a local womans shelter with these bags.

I am one who would not suggest giving your unwanted/unsellable bags to coworkers that you don't really have a friendship relationship with. It can be mistaken for charity and your end result could be one that does not bode well for a business relationship regardless of your good intentions.

That's a good point about the charity thing. People are funny that way. Here you think you are doing something nice by giving them a great item and they misinterpet the intention.

The only reason I give select things to a certain coworker it that I value the item so much that I don't want to just give it to Goodwill and would rather see it go to someone I somewhat care about. I have always asked first tho, giving her the option of refusing it.

One purse worked in my favor as her niece oooooed and ahhed over it asking for it when she tired of it. I think this kind of attention from her niece made the coworker realize she had something nice. I actually see her using it.:biggrin:

I just recently gave two of the women in my office some bags I don't use. None of the bags were designer but they were all new. I had received them as gifts over the years but never used them. I had tried to sell them at a local consignment sale, but they didn't sell (probably because they weren't designer). They absolutely loved the bags and started carrying them right away. I felt great knowing that the bags went to good homes!