Gifted sentimental superfake?

mama_nacho

May 21, 2020
I was gifted a Chanel square mini years ago by a dear family member, and said family member passed away recently. However, the bag is almost certainly a rather good fake.

I’m now not sure what to do with it. I don’t really want to trash it since it has a lot of sentimental value, and I’m certainly not going to donate/sell it and contribute to the circulating superfake bag population. It serves as the “small fancy bag” in my collection right now, and I’m not sure I want to get another one and end up accumulating more bags (personal rule that if I buy a bag then another must go to maintain a set number of bags).

Thoughts on what to do? Is it okay to still use? I feel a little self-conscious with it now that I know it’s fake, but at the same time I don’t have another that can substitute for it well :-s

Graw

Aug 26, 2011
I was gifted a Chanel square mini years ago by a dear family member, and said family member passed away recently. However, the bag is almost certainly a rather good fake.

I’m now not sure what to do with it. I don’t really want to trash it since it has a lot of sentimental value, and I’m certainly not going to donate/sell it and contribute to the circulating superfake bag population. It serves as the “small fancy bag” in my collection right now, and I’m not sure I want to get another one and end up accumulating more bags (personal rule that if I buy a bag then another must go to maintain a set number of bags).

Thoughts on what to do? Is it okay to still use? I feel a little self-conscious with it now that I know it’s fake, but at the same time I don’t have another that can substitute for it well :-s
Not a fan of fakes, but this is a sentimental gift. I’d keep it and use it. Wear it in the spirit of love.

muchstuff

"Add to cart"
Authenticator
Jun 6, 2014
Vancouver

“Almost certainly” a fake. Have you run it by the authenticators on the Chanel thread to be sure?

mama_nacho

May 21, 2020
“Almost certainly” a fake. Have you run it by the authenticators on the Chanel thread to be sure?
I haven’t, but it doesn’t have an inner zip pocket on the flap and it seems they should all have that? I can post there to confirm though!

tuowei

O.G.
Oct 28, 2009
My beloved grandmother gifted me a fake murakami pochette that she got on her fiest and only tourist trip to Europe. As one of 30 grandchildren I treasure the thought and love behind the gesture. I would use it in honor of your departed loved one.
My grandmother was a character but we were each other's favorite. She left me a fur stole among other things:whut: I've never worn it but keep it for petting?!

snibor

O.G.
Nov 12, 2006
I think you answered your own question. You don’t want to trash it and it has sentimental value. Let it sit in your closet. If you ever want to get rid of it, you’ll know.

Reactions: Encore Hermes

bagshopr

O.G.
Apr 6, 2007
U.S.A.
Keep it and use it! It doesn't matter if it's fake- you aren't trying to sell it, and you didn't purchase it to pass off as real. It was a gift from someone you love. I know there is a lot of judgment on this forum about fakes but don't let that deter you from enjoying your bag.

Reactions: A bottle of Red

eunaddict

Attempting to be a #functionaladult
O.G.
Dec 11, 2008
Purseland <3
I have a bunch that my uncle bought - with good intentions, he knew I liked designers but the genuine bags were all out of his price range. I just have them stashed in the back of my closet, I take them out occasionally when I know I'll see him. Honestly, as long as you didn't buy it knowing it was a fake, don't try to sell it or otherwise pass it off as a genuine item to other people....it's your bag, do whatever else you want with it, that includes carrying it.

Reactions: LPR200
Aug 20, 2020
I haven’t, but it doesn’t have an inner zip pocket on the flap and it seems they should all have that? I can post there to confirm though!
I've just bought a vintage double flap without the inner zipper. It's been authenticated and from my research it's not that uncommon for bags from the 80s.