Gift Ideas for Husband's 40th

something Special from H for his desk, but I don’t know what.

a standing desk or walking desk?

a box for his watches?

sports equipment : new skiiing equipment; golf, IDK

a reversible cashmere jacket or hoodie from brunello or Hermes

my DH likes custom shirts at Turnbull, but then I’d have to ask his perosn there what to pick

Last edited:
The one gift I bought my husband that was one of those surprising things he used (pre-pandemic when we actually went out for dinner etc haha!) all the time was an Hermes card holder. I bought it in a tan colour, so it's been very versatile for both day and evening. It makes the line of his trousers look nicer than a chunky wallet!!

I guess if a guy is more into cash than card use, a money clip is also a nice gift. I've never been into them, but Georg Jensen / Tiffany have made some amazing ones over the years.

Milestone birthday and anniversary celebrations/gifts I have done for DH with great success include:

- Big trip to significant location
- Special dining at a favorite restaurant, private room or buyout
- Vintage watch from relevant significant year
- Vintage alcohol from relevant significant year
- Rug/textile/art from relevant significant year
- Antique with some sentimental significance (place/function)
- Art that is his taste (not mine or shared) for a space that is primarily or solely his (office/home office)
- MTO shirts/suit w cufflinks nodded to our wedding cufflinks (fwiw he is in tech and *never* wears suits, which made this a very popular gift -- my DH at least values gifts with sentimental rather than utilitarian importance)

I think all of the other suggestions are lovely gifts, but in my family would be considered regular bd gifts and DH, who is very sentimental, would be hurt if a milestone gift was something "regular" or useful like even the nicest pair of shoes, wallet, or belt and didn't have some sort of attachment or nod to the milestone itself. I liked someone's suggestion of a standing desk. I got humanscale adjustable stand/sit desks and herman miller chairs for each of DH's home offices for one significant but not milestone BD, but knowing his sentimental side also got him sets of Happy Socks w a theme that referenced his childhood. He uses the office setups more (especially now BC covid), but loved the socks the most

• Love
Reactions: 880
I'm not sure what type of place you guys live in, but if it's a house then maybe you could do a renovation project. If he likes coffee, you can build a coffee bar, or if he likes whiskey, then a minibar of some sort that showcases his bottles? Or if he likes to lounge outside then a revamped patio with a nice set of chairs/table/fireplace and have a delicious meal outside but in the comfort of your home.