Gift for My Mother

lv4ever$

Oct 21, 2016
I'd like to surprise my mother with a LV handbag for her birthday. She rarely spoils herself and would never select something for me to purchase if I brought her into the store. She has always been my rock, strongest advocate and given me to confidence to take calculated risks even when I doubt myself.

She prefers shoulder bags (occassional cross-body but never clutch / elbow bags) so I'm looking at the Caissa Tote MM. Do any current owners have pros / cons to share?

At almost 70, security is important to her (zipped closure) and while she appreciates something stylish, she's also conservative. The DE canvas seems to fit that criteria. I'd love other suggestions as well if there is a bag I've overlooked...

Reactions: L4lou and Kidclarke
I just got the duomo hobo. Similar style also has a zipper. The Caissa is beautiful though. I was lusting for it when it came out as well. Duomo was slightly less expensive so I went with that one instead :smile:

my mom is very similar (not into lux) and also the same age. i gifted her (last year) a da piece, just a pochette, which she uses daily. you know your mom best of course, but keep in mind that women in her age group have very little need for a big bag like an mm, and something smaller (pm size) could be better. we all want to give our moms the very best (which is often something bigger), but unless her lifestyle calls for a large bag i'd go down to something much smaller. a bag that could shoulder and crossbody might be nice, and something with an easy-access opening.. i'd suggest an eva or favorite ... just my opinion, of course.

Reactions: luv2bling
my mom is very similar (not into lux) and also the same age. i gifted her (last year) a da piece, just a pochette, which she uses daily. you know your mom best of course, but keep in mind that women in her age group have very little need for a big bag like an mm, and something smaller (pm size) could be better. we all want to give our moms the very best (which is often something bigger), but unless her lifestyle calls for a large bag i'd go down to something much smaller. a bag that could shoulder and crossbody might be nice, and something with an easy-access opening.. i'd suggest an eva or favorite ... just my opinion, of course.

Great suggestions! I'm going to look at smaller cross body options and see if anything jumps out at me. The open end on the tote still seems odd to me so I'm not 100% sold.

I did something similar for my mum too a few years ago... At almost 70, she usually wears small light crossbody style bag.. So I brought her a speedy b 25 in DE! She loves it to bits!! She likes to "save it" for special occasions but in the last 12 months, she used it on an overseas trip (as crossbody and she loved that it was lightweight and fit so much), as shoulder bag to my brother's graduation and as handheld for special dinners.. Unfortunately I can't seem to convince her to use it everyday but she definitely enjoys it when she does use it!

So maybe look at your mums current style or a style she might use but not have yet.. Good luck !

I agree with the other posters in terms of size of bag. As I get older, I have little to no desire to carry a large bag. Small cross body bags are more appealing. Also as one poster mentioned her daily lifestyle may not require a bag capable of carrying a lot, not to mention the weight factor of carrying a large bag. You may want to assess what items, (other than wallet, keys, makeup, etc..) your Mom must carry on a day to day basis (i.e., wallet, meds, tissues, eye glass holder, etc.) in consideration of what size bag would be ideal for her.

Personally I like the Pochette Metis and Croisette, due to their size, versatility as a cross body and the option of carrying as handheld handbags, which some older women prefer. Additionally, they offer the secure closing and come in the DE pattern.

Happy New Year and Good luck with your decision!

I agree that a smaller bag might be better than a big bag, and think that a Pochette Metis, Totally pm, Brittany or Speedy B might be good choices. I have both the Pochette Metis and Totally pm and love them both -they hold a fair amount, are lightweight and durable. I saw the Brittany at an LV boutique recently and it was stunning - plus it had a center zipped compartment.

Without knowing what you mother carries, I would be worried that some of the smaller cross bodies might be too small for her on a daily basis. You mentioned that security is important to her, so for that reason I can't recommend a Favorite. I have a Favorite PM and it never feels secure - I've never had a problem with it, but when I carry it, I worry about it.

I'm sure whatever you select, your Mom will be thrilled. What a wonderful daughter you are for wanting to let her know how much you appreciate her!

Like many ladies who are of a certain age you tend to carry less, only what you need. Wallet, lipstick, phone, reading glasses, sunglasses, meds are examples of things that she may carry daily. The other comment I'd like to make is that although I own /love speedy 25 and 40 I find them to be a bottomless hole when it comes to finding things. This style works best if you have smaller bags such a the NM pochette to keep your things organized. Something to think about when considering a bag for your mom. You are a really sweet and thoughtful daughter. I know she is going to love whatever you select. GL