Gift Certificates on Ebay... I don't get it...

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
I'm amazed at how much people will pay for a gift certificate. I mean, like $2.00 or $1.50 less than its actual worth.

Why? :oh:

I'm selling a Benihana gift certificate and I can't believe how close to the limit it's getting. I'd rather have peace of mind and just pay a few dollars more for a real gift certificate straight from the store.

I figure maybe there's some kind of excellent reason to this I haven't thought of.

I sold a gift certificate one time that I got on eBay. It was from a store that I wasn't going to buy anything from, and wanted money instead. The woman who won it told me that she was buying a couple of GC towards a more expensive item from the store. I guess whatever amount she saved was worth it for her because she was really happy.

I don't understand it at all.
But, one other thing. It seems to make more sense, when you receive a gift certificate that you are not going to use, to just go to the store, buy some things with it, return them, and take the return money.
I guess this wouldn't work if it was a spa or something, though, or if it was a store that didn't give cash for returns.