Giardia!!!...Please Help

Jun 8, 2009
i just got my first dog ... she is a 4 1/2 moth old pomeranian....on her recent visit to the vet they did a fecal test and she came back positive with giardia...she is not housetrained and she keeps pooping everywhere....i have other pets and i dont want them to get contaminated with it....also i read that it can be passed on to humans ...im so stressed out... she sleeps on the bed and whines crys and barks when she doesnt ,so she ends up pooping on the bed ....i use ammonia and bleach to clean it but i also read that its a hard parasite to kill..

did anyones pet ever have it ..
the doctor gave her pancaur did any one elses pet try that?
.how did you avoid contamination...what about the GiardiaVax vaccine?

Missgiannina-
I believe the Giardia vaccine has been discontinuted. It did not demonstrate very good effectiveness against the shedding of the organism in feces.

Panacur is one of the treatments for Giardia-metronidazole is another. Your vet will do a repeat fecal, probably twice more, to see if the parasite has disappeared. Just be sure to follow the vet's instructions for hygene around your dog. the risk of human transmission is low, but still exists.

You need to keep your new pup in a penned area at all times, giardia or not. Sure she's going to cry but you have to leave her there so she'll learn to 1. be on her own, 2. appreciate having her own space, 3. not pee/poop all over the house whenever she wants.

When our pup was little she also had a serious case of giardia and I can't remember what she was given but it felt like it took some time to work as she still had pretty watery, bloody, bad smelling diarrhea days after she took it. We kept her in the washroom with a baby gate and whenever she'd poop on the floor instead of a potty pad I'd go in there and clean it up with a 1 to 2 mix of bleach/water spray. Our vet told us that the bleach kills the giardia. Also, are you pad training your pup? I used to put a towel in our pup's bed and then a potty pad on top so if she had an accident in her bed I could just throw out the pad or spray off the towel and wash. The actual bed never got pooped/peed on.

to add with what Mia Bella has said... when she's in her penned area, keep a small portable radio with w/ it playing.. that way there's noise in the background.

to add with what Mia Bella has said... when she's in her penned area, keep a small portable radio with w/ it playing.. that way there's noise in the background.

I completely agree! We had an iPod on a dock playing Classical music on a continuous loop and it saved us some valuable sleep. It really, really works. :tup: