Giant Covered Hardware - how is yours holding up?

baileylab

O.G.
Apr 20, 2008
Hello, everyone.

My next bbag would be a Tempete GCH Work. I have an anthra RH Ciy & an SGH Street. so now i guess my next choice would be covered.

I hear the leather on the covered hardware is delicate.

Should i just go SGH (again) or take the plunge & get the giant covered?

Please give opinions, how often you use it and how old your bag is.

Thanks so much!

i don't know, but my SA at balny told me that the gch is not covering metal, it's covering plastic. which makes good sense as it is so much lighter than the gh. i just got a new gch env. clutch, but i assume that will wear well. my SA said the reason they keep reissuing them is because they don't have complaints...

I've carried my Automne GCH City approx. 10 times and have had no scracthing/peeling/etc. problems yet.

One thing that I really like about the GCH City is that the perforated details replace the "seal" on the trim pieces (I'm not sure what the best or correct term for that is) adjacent to the bale and other hardware. The "seal" on my GSH and GGH Cities started to fray with just limited use. I noticed it on both bags within a few days of carrying in the real world. Thankfully it is only a small amount - probably not noticeable to anyone but me - and it hasn't spread beyond the initial stages.

I will admit that I am more cautious with my GCH City than the others. So...that could easily be the reason why it is still in pristine condition.

If you are not able to buy multiple bags in the near future, I would stick to RH or GH. New Cities are just under US$1700 right now. I love my bag, but in the future I will not spend that much again on a piece that I feel like I have to tiptoe around.

I've worn my GCH pom pom about 15+ times, and some of the hardware is starting to wear slightly on the top edges. As I bought this bag to be a workhorse (a careful workhorse!), it's not really bothering me but I can't see the hardware looking too hot in a couple years time.

I've worn my GCH pom pom about 15+ times, and some of the hardware is starting to wear slightly on the top edges. As I bought this bag to be a workhorse (a careful workhorse!), it's not really bothering me but I can't see the hardware looking too hot in a couple years time.

that would worry me - not a GCH fan, although it can look very cute!

i already have an rh & an sgh. hence the decision to go cgh on my next bag. the perforations is a love-hate thing. at first i was appalled by its gaudiness. my SIL bought one and it grew on me.

Mine have been holding up fine, I've had a praline clutch, officier city, and framboise brief in GCH and definitely the darker officier is still looking pristine. There's teeny scuff marks on my brief but it's not noticeable and my praline which i have used to death already has nothing. none of them have started to peel, the leather is very tight around the hw and IMO they are well worth it and made well enough that I dont expect any problems any time in the near future

I've carried my Automne GCH City approx. 10 times and have had no scracthing/peeling/etc. problems yet.

One thing that I really like about the GCH City is that the perforated details replace the "seal" on the trim pieces (I'm not sure what the best or correct term for that is) adjacent to the bale and other hardware. The "seal" on my GSH and GGH Cities started to fray with just limited use. I noticed it on both bags within a few days of carrying in the real world. Thankfully it is only a small amount - probably not noticeable to anyone but me - and it hasn't spread beyond the initial stages.

I will admit that I am more cautious with my GCH City than the others. So...that could easily be the reason why it is still in pristine condition.

If you are not able to buy multiple bags in the near future, I would stick to RH or GH. New Cities are just under US$1700 right now. I love my bag, but in the future I will not spend that much again on a piece that I feel like I have to tiptoe around.

UPDATE:

I brought my GCH City with me on a long work trip - figured Automne is the perfect neutral for fall, and I might as well see how the GCH wears with normal use. I've worn this several days in a row, carried by the strap and by the handles (both over the shoulder and by hand), brought with me to restaurants, tossed on to the passenger seat on my rental, and accidentally sent it flying in to the dash when I slammed on the breaks!

The corners show minor wear (slightly lightening effect on the color, which is what happens to all of my Bals when they eventually wear). The hardware shows the exact same wear. It's not "peeling," as described by some other GCH owners - but just wearing down a bit along the edges. I would imagine that I am the only person who notices this. The other wear I noticed is to the perforated trim - in areas where it rubs up against hardware.

Overall, I would say that the bag shows slightly more signs of wear than RH or GGH/GSH bags I use on a regular basis - but the leather is so beautiful I hardly notice.

I really love this bag for taking to corporate functions. I go back and forth wondering which is less "professional" for a stuffy work event - the tassles on RH bags or GGH/GSH. The GCH is subdued and perfect for those occasions when I need to carry a handbag but I don't necessarily want it to grab attention. Automne goes with everything!!

(I apologize for the photo quality - I turned the flash off for these closeups as the reflection was blowing out the appearance of wear on the CGH)

Attachments

• GCH left front corner.JPG
    GCH left front corner.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 331
  • GCH piping near hardware.JPG
    GCH piping near hardware.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 292
  • GCH right front corner.JPG
    GCH right front corner.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 306
  • GCH right side.JPG
    GCH right side.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 300
Hello everyone!
I just purchased a new bbag in GCH and just wondering if any of you have tips to share on how to care for it? i obviously don't want the leather to peel off from the hardware....thx!!!!! is it really that delicate?