GH lovers.... where do you go from here?

well, Hong Kong is exactly the same ---really luxury brand conscious, global crisis or not. Every Hongky girl has to have at least one high-end bag and will go through extreme lengths (and I do mean extreme as what I have read) to get one. I see mostly Asian girls carrying the GH bags and mostly Caucasian women carry RH bags and definitely not everywhere and that's what I love about Bal bags.

RE: GH bags
Who cares if its been released a million years ago, as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" so that's why it has continued to exist even to this day. It has been selling very well that is the only reason why it has lasted this long. The only reason why it will go it's because of Bal's decision to cut costs, plain and simple--also explains why studs downgraded from 18k plating to 14k plating, why rose gold is really not rose gold plating..why zippers don't match the hardware on RG , why there's no more extra tassels given, etc..etc....

RE: why GGh will still come out but only for special orders...
it's again a marketing tactic, to limit the availability so that it becomes more sought-after and in demand. I also notice that from 2010, GGH mostly comes out in colors that don't sell very well (exception is black and athra--although GGh expands the saleability of these two colors even more so) ---like least-selling colors like Praline, Sahara, Vieux de Rose...etc.etc. and now why in Coq when it's a best-seller? because it's a re-issued color. Why would people who already bought the Coq from FW pre-season buy again for FW2011 main season? So the release of Coq + GGH will give Coq a re-birth and therefore, boost sales again, for the exact same color.
People with RH or GSH will buy again or sell theirs to buy the GGH combo...now what could be better than this scenario? Anywhich way, it definitely serves the brand very well. IMO.

RE: reason for increase in prices:
1) insane demand for these bags which obviously drives up the prices of the Bals;

2) maintain or increase profit margins for the company despite the global crisis;
cut back on raw materials cost, especially,smaller GH, lower grade plating, rose gold plating is not really gold, mismatched zippers, inconsistent leather quality from excellent to Ok to very dry, no extra tassels, etc..etc... SINCE labor costs cannot be compromised-therefore MUST maintain strict and excellent workmanship so must absorb labor cost increases.

When something is discontinued, I think it makes a whole lot of sense to continue to wear it if you love it, because you are then being true to yourself, and not a slave to fashion.

I carried my GGH Work the other day, and a lady jumped on me to ask me where and when I'd purchased it, as she was after a GGH, and she was finding it hard to find the GGH in colours, as opposed to Black.

Carry your Bal, no matter what the colour or hardware is, just because you love it! However, if you don't get excited by Bal anymore and hate how they look, sell them - because, I can assure you, there are loads of Bal lovers out there who will snap your GH bags up if they are in good condition and reasonably priced!

Never get rid of something because you think it is dated due to discontinuation. Get rid of it if you no longer think it looks nice on you.

Don't worry about what others think... and that includes my post here! Go with your heart, not fashion dictates.
:woohoo:I completely agree with you!!!

well, Hong Kong is exactly the same ---really luxury brand conscious, global crisis or not. Every Hongky girl has to have at least one high-end bag and will go through extreme lengths (and I do mean extreme as what I have read) to get one. I see mostly Asian girls carrying the GH bags and mostly Caucasian women carry RH bags and definitely not everywhere and that's what I love about Bal bags.

Who cares if its been released a million years ago, as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" so that's why it has continued to exist even to this day. It has been selling very well that is the only reason why it has lasted this long. The only reason why it will go it's because of Bal's decision to cut costs, plain and simple--also explains why studs downgraded from 18k plating to 14k plating, why rose gold is really not rose gold plating..why zippers don't match the hardware on RG , why there's no more extra tassels given, etc..etc....
i also think the only reason of discontinuation of gh is only to cut costs:not only the new giant hardware is smaller ,but they can use the same "pattern" of rh bags also for giant now...if you take a look at the new gh pt handles are the same as rh pt and also leather cuts

YES! I don't think GH is out of fashion at all! The only reason it's being discontinued is to cut costs, then on top of that, they're raising the prices.... so... great! I really hope they do this mGH just to find out that it's a not the big seller they were hoping for... I'd personally hate a PT or a Work with mGH, I don't even think I'd go for a City. The City looks sad & naked without the tassels or the GH... :rant: I bet they'll have to come up with GH LE at a higher price!

Who cares if its been released a million years ago, as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" so that's why it has continued to exist even to this day. It has been selling very well that is the only reason why it has lasted this long. The only reason why it will go it's because of Bal's decision to cut costs, plain and simple--also explains why studs downgraded, wfrom 18k plating to 14k plating why rose gold is really not rose gold plating..why zippers don't match the hardware on RG , why there's no more extra tassels given, etc..etc....

RE: why GGh will still come out but only for special orders...
it's again a marketing tactic, to limit the availability so that it becomes more sought-after and in demand. I also notice that from 2010, GGH mostly comes out in colors that don't sell very well (exception is black and athra--although GGh expands the saleability of these two colors even more so) ---like least-selling colors like Praline, Sahara, Vieux de Rose...etc.etc. and now why in Coq when it's a best-seller? because it's a re-issued color. Why would people who already bought the Coq from FW pre-season buy again for FW2011 main season? So the release of Coq + GGH will give Coq a re-birth and therefore, boost sales again, for the exact same color.
People with RH or GSH will buy again or sell theirs to buy the GGH combo...now what could be better than this scenario? Anywhich way, it definitely serves the brand very well. IMO.

RE: reason for increase in prices:
1) insane demand for these bags which obviously drives up the prices of the Bals;

2) maintain or increase profit margins for the company despite the global crisis;
cut back on raw materials cost, especially,smaller GH, lower grade plating, rose gold plating is not really gold, mismatched zippers, inconsistent leather quality from excellent to Ok to very dry, no extra tassels, etc..etc... SINCE labor costs cannot be compromised-therefore MUST maintain strict and excellent workmanship so must absorb labor cost increases.

I applaud you my dear, very well said... :dothewave:
I have said it from day one, it's about cutting costs. Balenciaga is not the only fashion house that has done it & it wont be the last. Chanel ladies are complaining of the down fall in quality & the prices seem to increase once or twice a year & heavily may I add....

I think your right about the Coq, it has been the best selling color for 2011 W/F (for a good reason I will add) so it makes sense to introduce the glorious GGH so many of us will go for it a second time... Perfect example me!!!!::P I want GGH next........

You could not have said it any better dear *P*. :hugs::hugs:
I am all for Balenciaga to move on, introduce new styles & broaden their horizons...Just don't do it at the expense of the classic motocycle GH line...

So so true, about the downgrading of GGH & all you said about the RGGH is spot on... I don't mind if Balenciaga increases their prices, just give us the quality & perhaps many of us that are livid about all of this may still stick around... :hrmm:

No way will I get rid of most of my GH bags, they are not outdated at all. They will live in my heart forever. This is what matters the most, what I love & what I believe to be classic in my eyes.....GH is what got me hooked in Balenciaga in the first place.... I owe so much to GH & respect it..

I hope they realize they are making a mistake & bring it back on & not discontinue it.. I will be waiting with a smile on my face if this happens, I pray it does.... ;)

IMO discontinuation of GH is not just by the cutting cost,they are a multi-billion dollars firm, this might sound very naive or simple but they are a fashion house in the end. I agree that they have tactics to make some profits or surprise us with introducing GGH on and off. Balenciaga knows what they are doing and they are the fashion house to create new fashions. RH MotorCycle bags are truely classic but Giant HardWare could be a fashion Otherwise they would not make a huge decision to stop making GH bags . However this GH bags would become A rewind bag in decades.

I think GH becoming discontinued will make it even MORE in demand - look at how many lust after the old flat brass bags. GH is like a cult following - Bal is making a big mistake if they discontinue it - but - as we have seen in the past - Balenciaga does what it wants anyway - no rhyme or reason -

The real reason to keep your GH bags is because YOU love them - not because it is no longer the current "it" bag.

To me - old and "out of style" is great - I would rather have a vintage Jaguar than a brand new one - or a beautiful turn of the century Victorian house versus a brand new tacky McMansion - I would rather look "old money" - he he - I wish............

will definitely be keeping mine!..

i agree with what the others say.. i don't think a bag is 'outdated' because it's been discontinued..
i would actually be happier to carry my GH bags now because it's not going to be very common! ;)

I think GH becoming discontinued will make it even MORE in demand - look at how many lust after the old flat brass bags. GH is like a cult following - Bal is making a big mistake if they discontinue it - but - as we have seen in the past - Balenciaga does what it wants anyway - no rhyme or reason -

The real reason to keep your GH bags is because YOU love them - not because it is no longer the current "it" bag.

To me - old and "out of style" is great - I would rather have a vintage Jaguar than a brand new one - or a beautiful turn of the century Victorian house versus a brand new tacky McMansion - I would rather look "old money" - he he - I wish............

Perfectly said!! :smile:

PS...My architect hubby calls McMansions "potato head houses"....same basic boring weird layout, all you need to do is change certain features and you can have "Tuscan potato head" or "Spanish potato head"...etc etc....

I'm totally shocked at how many would worry about whether a bag is popular or not. I've gotten into Bal recently and I've really had the impression that you liked the bags BECAUSE they had classic style. You all make them look good, they don't make YOU look good. Anyway, they're great looking bags, and if they aren't made anymore they will still be great looking bags.