Getting the long wavy hair ?!

mellecyn

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
I think it´s a beautiful look for the spring/summer.
I had a go at it , despite a fight with both my curling and straightening irons I managed to get a few shy curls out of them and got so many compliments, so I want to master it.....

I need help though. I have fine hair past the shoulders (bra strap level).
My options....
-The curling iron : mine is a basic classic one and I only managed to curl the end of the section. Basically my hair are too long to have a decent "spiral" around the iron.
-The straighteners : I don´t have gdh but larger ones and I only managed the curls on 1 side of my head !! I wasn´t comfortable at all for the other side !
-The traditional rollers : this might be easier, but do we get the same effect ? and it takes time....

How do you do yours ???

Attachments

• giselle.jpg
    giselle.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 15,075
  • Celebrity_3071.jpg
    Celebrity_3071.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 606
  • cheryl-brit-1.jpg
    cheryl-brit-1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 4,070
  • kelly-brook_1118053c.jpg
    kelly-brook_1118053c.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 727
i finally figured out how to get this look myself!!

what I do is when my hair is towel dried i put some Nexxus Curl enhancing Mousse in my hair. then when its dry i spray a little Frederick Fekkai Wave spray on my hair. then i curl it with a large barrel curling iron.
you can use large hot curlers or large velcro rollers instead of the curling iron ... and it come out perfect!

Just to add, dont use the clamp part of the large barrel tong, make sure you use a holding or curling tong spray then just wrap your hair around the barrel. This also works great with very large velcro rollers, just wash your hair and when wet or damp put them in then blast with a hairdryer or let it dry on its own if you have time. It will look exactly like the pics of cheryl cole and Giselle!:yahoo:

Any tips for those of us with hair that doesn't hold curl? (except it's own, unfortunately...especially in humidity!) When I use a curling iron or rollers, it winds up bouncy and...well, straight with maybe the ends flipped out. If I use my GHD, the curls look fantastic for the first 30 mins-to-an-hour and then completely fall out. I've gotten to the point that I do Shirley Temple tight curls with the GHD and wait for them to loosen up...but still, by the end of the day, I'm just barely wavy. Am I just doomed?

P.S. With regards to styling/holding products, I've probably tried next to everything to see if perhaps that was the problem...Help!

I personally like the more "light wavy" type hair like Nicole Richie or Lauren Conrad. Is it the same steps, just use a bigger curling iron? I currently have one that's an inch, what would you recommend like a 2"?

nicole-richie.jpg

07b2a177123070aa_Lauren-conrad-12pr.jpg

US_Weekly_Oct08_post1.jpg

i wonder how nicole's hair comes out in looser ways. i have a large barrel curling iron and (maybe it's the way i'm curling the hair) it always comes out in FULL curls like big curls, and not those loose waves.

And it only makes it harder for me because I have naturally curly hair. (small curls though, not waves or naturally big curls.)

And also, which one lasts longer ??
Because I had waves made at the hairdresser with a straightening iron....they lasted a good 3 days.
I tried again using my iron last night, with styling products, the results were OK, but this morning everything was gone :sad:
Here is a pic of the iron, 16mm barrel....I might have to invest in a better one ?? This one was only 20$

Attachments

• Fer%20a%20coiffer%20Elite%20CF2002_main.jpg
    Fer%20a%20coiffer%20Elite%20CF2002_main.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 614
I think the way that nicole does it is through a straightening iron like ghd!

My asian friends do similar waves in their hair and they all learnt how to do curls from their stylists with their straighteners.

Nicole has her hair straightened with a Brazilian blow dry (it is similar to permanent hair straightening). It is naturally curly. I think that may have something to do with her hair just not holding the curl from a large barrel curling iron as well, and producing the effect in the picture above.

Just to add, dont use the clamp part of the large barrel tong, make sure you use a holding or curling tong spray then just wrap your hair around the barrel. This also works great with very large velcro rollers, just wash your hair and when wet or damp put them in then blast with a hairdryer or let it dry on its own if you have time. It will look exactly like the pics of cheryl cole and Giselle!:yahoo:

so not to sound dumb, but if ur just wrapping ur hair around and not using the clamp, how does it not unwrap? and how long do u hold it for

I have long-ish, fine hair. It has a bit of a wave to it already, but here's my trick for "beachy" waves...

I wash my hair at night. When I wake up the morning, first thing, I gather my hair into a loose pony tail, dampen the pony with water from a spray bottle, and work a small amount of curl enhancing mouse through it. I wind my hair into a bun, take my shower, do make up, and get dressed.

right before leaving the house, I take my hairdryer, and blast the bun a few minutes to make sure the hair is completely dry. I let it cool, take the bun down, and shake it loose. I usually finger comb the waves into place and rub a little shine serum on the ends. works like a charm and lasts all day long!