Getting the ax right before the Holidays? :-(

Pursegrrl

Oh no she di-int!!
O.G.
Jun 1, 2006
Hey all, I need some of that world famous tPF love and support :heart: .

A few of you know I just started a new job in early October. It's barely been 60 days, and my contract was for 6 months. Well, due to a few budget snafus, I'm probably out of a job on Dec 15th, as much as they would like to keep me through next August.

I'm a contractor, so neither they nor my agency owe me anything. If I don't work, I don't get paid, plain and simple. I don't get paid for being 'benched,' no matter the reason why. Of course I knew this and the risks going into this type of engagement but sheesh, it's a little hard to swallow getting a new project handed to you and then in the SAME session by the SAME mgr getting told you might get the boot in 10 days?

Anyway, I guess this is how it goes. I've been around the block so I'll be OK but am :hysteric: . I made the committment to give THEM 6 months of my tried and true hard work, but they can't commit in turn.

BF and I are going to FL for 5 days later this week. You bet I'm going to make the most of it...and already have some job feelers out there :wlae: . No fun job hunting at Christmas time.

Anyone been through something similar? :shrugs:

I'm so sorry, that sounds awful. I'm still in school and haven't dealt with anything like this so I can't give any advice, but I do feel for you. I hope it works out and you find a good steady job! Best wishes to you and I hope it doesn't effect your holidays.

I am so sorry, It's just awlful. (((((Pursegrrl))))) Sending hugs and good vibes to you. It's going to be hard to look for job during this time, try when the new year start. *g'luck*

just wanted to say GOOD LUCK!
its hard to find a suitable job! I had a similar experience to a certain degree, I was given a verbal offer for a job I liked..and last minute was told the BOD didn't want to hire!!???
it is demotivating but Im trying to keep my chin up :sad:
their loss!

That's awful!

December is a bad time for job hunting. But it is a great time for networking.

Go to every party you hear about. Chambers of Commerce in local cities, office parties, etc. Build those connections and follow up in January.

Put a positive spin on your jobless state:
"I just finished a big project so I am looking for a new one."

I'm sorry to hear this. {{{hugs}}} I can imagine it's going to be impossible to look for another job until after the holidays. I don't really have any advice; just spoil yourself a little on your time off.

That is really such bad timing and an awful thing that has to be done... as hard as it is, put a positive spin on it :yes: Something out there is better for you!!!

And girl, ENJOY Florida!!!! :supacool:

I'm sorry you have to deal with this around the holidays. The only thing that's supposed to stress us out right now is the family!! ;) I hope that you are able to find something soon, and something stable at that! good luck!

aww.. what an unfortunate thing to happen! I can imagine how frustrated you must be!

I agree with keeping positive and this too shall pass. The vacay to Fla. sounds perfect cuz it will give you some energy and boost up your mood so that you'll have the positive mood and the energy/drive to go job hunting again soon. Best of luck!!

Yes I am going through the same thing.....My last contract came up sooner than expected and I am job hunting during the Holidays. I'm trying not to let it get me down. I have an offer with a new company but my start date keeps getting pushed up due to construction. Money is tight, I am so used to going all out for Christmas, spoiling my loved ones, decorating and celebrating. I am with my family and friends, they are all helping me get through this. I am taking this time to catch up on house stuff, painting, yard sale, yard work, etc.. With any luck I will start my new job at the begining of the year.....which feels like an eternity before I will get paid. I feel your pain. Good luck, you will find something.