Home & Garden Getting Rid of Excess-Help!

Great thread! I just moved last weekend, and my BF said I need therapy because I had more stuff than any family he has ever moved.:shame:

I'm a very clean person, but open a closet and watch out!:faint:

Keep the suggestions coming please. I need help.:sos:

I just hate having "stuff" I don't use or need. we moved not long ago and I found it's too much effort to pack, transport and unpack things I didn't even know I had. I hate crappy gifts and am always telling people to please don't gift me with anything that collects dust lol. we have so many glass ornaments that have no use and drive me nuts. I wanted to chuck them or donate but mum insisted we keep them. well as I didn't want them she had to pack them for the move and thanks to karma some broke :lol: that will teach her for being a hoarder lol.

^^ now whenever she wants to chuck something she doesn't even need to ask me because she knows if it's still here and has no use I've been wanting it gone for ages.

btw I will keep something if it's sentimental but if it has no meaning and is nit worth anything off it goes

I just hate having "stuff" I don't use or need. we moved not long ago and I found it's too much effort to pack, transport and unpack things I didn't even know I had. I hate crappy gifts and am always telling people to please don't gift me with anything that collects dust lol. we have so many glass ornaments that have no use and drive me nuts. I wanted to chuck them or donate but mum insisted we keep them. well as I didn't want them she had to pack them for the move and thanks to karma some broke :lol: that will teach her for being a hoarder lol.

you sound just like me em. :roflmfao:, i've moved like 20 times in my 35 years of living, so it's really taught me to streamline! this is horrible but..every time someone gives me something i don't like, i either return it, regift it to another friend that will never meet gifter, or toss. at this point in my life..my friends know better, i just ask them not to give me anything!

every couple of months i go through a purging, get rid of or give away stuff i've never worn or only worn once. it feels really good, a lot of times my co workers are super happy when it's closet purging time for me. and if it's home items that look semi-chic, i just bring them to my shop to sell. haha.

you sound just like me em. :roflmfao:, i've moved like 20 times in my 35 years of living, so it's really taught me to streamline! this is horrible but..every time someone gives me something i don't like, i either return it, regift it to another friend that will never meet gifter, or toss. at this point in my life..my friends know better, i just ask them not to give me anything!

every couple of months i go through a purging, get rid of or give away stuff i've never worn or only worn once. it feels really good, a lot of times my co workers are super happy when it's closet purging time for me. and if it's home items that look semi-chic, i just bring them to my shop to sell. haha.

lol Betty. although I love home decor like you dont you agree you can only hve so many picture frames, or vases, or books?!?! I find it gets easier and easier to chuck things out when I compair a few and think well I like this one more than that one so the less liked one has to go.

another thing that really drives me nuts is those cupboards you fill with junk and never open. then one day you need to find something in it your too scared to open it because of what's growing behind the door?? mum insists that ever house has one of those and it's normal but I can't stand that. I'm happy to have the only house in the world without one lol. how about you??

I love this idea! I'm going to try this. Two weeks ago I just made a massive donation to Goodwill--4 boxes & two bags of clothes & various electronics.

I'm also trying just to get organized. I absolutely love my townhouse, but there's no storage space--not even a coat closet let alone a basement or attic. It's pretty frustrating because I feel like there's no place to put things.

I feel for you because I've lived places with little storage before. And good luck on your decluttering. It sounds like you're making a good start.

lol Betty. although I love home decor like you dont you agree you can only hve so many picture frames, or vases, or books?!?! I find it gets easier and easier to chuck things out when I compair a few and think well I like this one more than that one so the less liked one has to go.

another thing that really drives me nuts is those cupboards you fill with junk and never open. then one day you need to find something in it your too scared to open it because of what's growing behind the door?? mum insists that ever house has one of those and it's normal but I can't stand that. I'm happy to have the only house in the world without one lol. how about you??

luckily, my mom is a purger as well so i never ever had cupboards of scary stuff. DH's family tho, is another animal altogether.

yup, i tend to gravitate towards the same things, like black sweaters so when it comes time to purge i always have like 4 or 5 black sweaters to give away.

This has been my "thing" off and on for a year now! I too live in a tiny NYC apt, and I have so much stuff...and that is after a huge purge before moving to NYC.

I have noticed that the less clutter there is, the more balanced and comfortable a space feels.

I am inspired to pack up and donate this week, using the great tips in this thread!

This has been my "thing" off and on for a year now! I too live in a tiny NYC apt, and I have so much stuff...and that is after a huge purge before moving to NYC.

I have noticed that the less clutter there is, the more balanced and comfortable a space feels.

I am inspired to pack up and donate this week, using the great tips in this thread!

that is fantastic! keep it up!

I love your way of thinking Betty.

another thing you always find growing is ribbon. I always get it with gifts or when I buy something and I end up with bags full of the stuff. it drove me nuts until one day I sorted them out and rolled up the ones I wanted to keep and chucked out the rest. now when I get any it has to fit in the ribbon box or something has to go to make it fit. I hate those people can't throw it out because you may need it for something one day. or because you can use it on a gift when you already have a lifetimes supply. wth.

DH and I moved into the house he grew up in. Due to a sudden family tragedy and illness, things were left as they were for a long period of time without anyone living in the home before we moved in, so there was a LOT of stuff. Imagine if the average person just left their home with little or no preparation and you can picture the sort of thing we were facing.

I am not a person who keeps things, but DH is, and the situation only added to his anxiety over getting rid of things. So instead of doing it all at once, I set a goal (which I never told him about) to take a minimum of one large bag or two boxes of things to Goodwill a week. I would go through things and have them separated and ready and then ask DH if he wanted to go through them, too. In most cases, he would ask about one or two specific items and lose interest, so I was able to clear out large amounts of things in a relatively short period of time. My preference would have been to get everything cleared out in a weekend, but that probably would have given DH an anxiety attack! I never got rid of documents or letters or personal items or photos, and I had DH clear out clothing that didn't belong to us by himself, but generalized clutter without sentimental value was easy to pack up and donate.

So my advice is to set small goals and stick to them. Small changes add up to clearing away big clutter in relatively short periods of time.

I'm so inspired by this thread! I need to do a major purge... I have so much stuff that I don't use. I put out a coffee maker, some bowls, glasses, and books in my apt. lobby last night, but that's only 1/10 of what I need to get rid of. LOL. I hate having too much crap and clutter - it makes me anxious.

I have so much "stuff" taking over my townhouse and I can't stand it.

I just don't know what to do with it all. Today I am tackling the pantry as it is a place where countless random things seem to collect and I'm sure there are many things in there I have not even looked at in a couple years.

Anything worth donating will be donated and the rest chucked.

I also have a growing pile in my living room of things I want to put on kijiji or ebay. UGH!