Getting makeup/hair done for an event...

cristincline

Oct 17, 2013
Probably the most ridiculous question of all time - but I've never had my makeup or hair done for an event before, and I'm going to get both done for a military ball I'll be attending. I'm just wondering if it's best to go to the hair appointment first or the makeup first? Haha. Maybe I'm overthinking it. But I'm worried my makeup will crease and cake and fade if I get it done first - also worried that my hair will flatten and crumple if I do that first.
Ladies, help!
Also, if anyone has any firsthand experience with getting their makeup done at mac/sephora/etc, I'd love to hear any stories :smile:

Probably the most ridiculous question of all time - but I've never had my makeup or hair done for an event before, and I'm going to get both done for a military ball I'll be attending. I'm just wondering if it's best to go to the hair appointment first or the makeup first? Haha. Maybe I'm overthinking it. But I'm worried my makeup will crease and cake and fade if I get it done first - also worried that my hair will flatten and crumple if I do that first.
Ladies, help!
Also, if anyone has any firsthand experience with getting their makeup done at mac/sephora/etc, I'd love to hear any stories :smile:

Can you get your hair done somewhere that does make-up as well?

If you go to a Mac that's in a department store the cost is like 55, and redeemable in product! So that's a bonus. And I usually get my hair done first, because they wash it and blow dry it etc etc, with all that moisture and heat, better to do the makeup after.

For special events, I also always got my hair done before my make-up. When going to a make-up counter, try to bring photos on your phone or explain what type of look you would like. Sometimes I like to go to make-up counter on the weekends to see who is best make-up artist or if I have friends who previously went to that counter before; I'll ask them.

I just stopped into a Mac store and was told they will do a private lesson for $100 but you get a ton of free makeup etc with that. I remember thinking it was a good deal. I like that the SA are makeup artists.

I've gotten my makeup done lots of times so I have a bit of experience. Like everyone else said, definitely hair first.

Also, I didn't really like Sephora. They charge $50 but it's in the form of a giftcard so you can use it. BUT I think they do it too heavy, almost cakey. I've never gotten it done at MAC, but I've heard good things.

I almost always go to Bobbi Brown. They've always done an impeccable job. An SA told me that they're actually not supposed to charge to do your makeup, but it's common courtesy to buy a few things. Another SA started to tell me I HAD to buy three things, but when I told her I had gotten it done many times before, she kind of backed off and made it seem less mandatory. Hope that helps a little!

P.S. Always remember to tell them what you want. Don't be afraid to speak up if you want lighter foundation, less eyeshadow, more blush, etc. :smile:

I've gotten my makeup done lots of times so I have a bit of experience. Like everyone else said, definitely hair first.

Also, I didn't really like Sephora. They charge $50 but it's in the form of a giftcard so you can use it. BUT I think they do it too heavy, almost cakey. I've never gotten it done at MAC, but I've heard good things.

I almost always go to Bobbi Brown. They've always done an impeccable job. An SA told me that they're actually not supposed to charge to do your makeup, but it's common courtesy to buy a few things. Another SA started to tell me I HAD to buy three things, but when I told her I had gotten it done many times before, she kind of backed off and made it seem less mandatory. Hope that helps a little!

P.S. Always remember to tell them what you want. Don't be afraid to speak up if you want lighter foundation, less eyeshadow, more blush, etc. :smile:

That's why I see people over there on a regular basis getting makeup done! Good tip.