Getting LV bags for girlfriend - is it overkill?

I'm thinking about getting my girlfriend LV Neverfull MM as a surprise for her upcoming graduation. She only mentioned it once since we've been together that she wants one as she never owns LV products. We've been in a relationship for almost 3 years and she has been a very good girlfriend.

So New Neverfull with tax is probably around $1300 - $1400. I probably add organizer in for her as well. Although I am leaning toward pre-loved one because pre-owned feels more like an investment piece. Just like cars get depreciation when you buy new. But I could be completely off here when it comes to designer bags?

My guy friends are no help because they think it's overkill. Some suggests replica which I am totally against. Either you get a real one or you don't. From guy's perspective, lots of guys tend to think designer handbags are waste of money...which is ironic since us guys have expensive hobby and entertainment we buy for ourselves that costs a lot too. The way I see it is everything can be a waste of money unless it appeals to you.

So these are the questions for the ladies' perspective, how would you feel if your SO or loved ones buy you LV as a gift?
What is your thought on New vs Pre-owned as a gift?
Thanks!
I'm going to ask a different question .... if she's only mentioned wanting one once in three years, is it something she definitely wants? It's very easy for us all sat here to presume the answer is "yes" as we're on the LV forum and are LV lovers but mentioning this bag once in 3 years wouldn't make me instantly think she loves it.

I'm thinking about getting my girlfriend LV Neverfull MM as a surprise for her upcoming graduation. She only mentioned it once since we've been together that she wants one as she never owns LV products. We've been in a relationship for almost 3 years and she has been a very good girlfriend.

So New Neverfull with tax is probably around $1300 - $1400. I probably add organizer in for her as well. Although I am leaning toward pre-loved one because pre-owned feels more like an investment piece. Just like cars get depreciation when you buy new. But I could be completely off here when it comes to designer bags?

My guy friends are no help because they think it's overkill. Some suggests replica which I am totally against. Either you get a real one or you don't. From guy's perspective, lots of guys tend to think designer handbags are waste of money...which is ironic since us guys have expensive hobby and entertainment we buy for ourselves that costs a lot too. The way I see it is everything can be a waste of money unless it appeals to you.

So these are the questions for the ladies' perspective, how would you feel if your SO or loved ones buy you LV as a gift?
What is your thought on New vs Pre-owned as a gift?
Thanks!

First off: you’re a great BF already!
So thoughtful and concerned.

I wouldn’t get her a pre-owned bag unless it would be a limited edition, that has been off retail for ages.

And even though it will surely be a great surprise anyway... maybe you order the bag for pickup at a local LV bouqitue and take her there “just to have a look” and then BOOM! Let them bring out your order ;)

Either way! Keep us updated and good luck on surprising her!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: pmburk
For a girlfriend I would go brand new, for an old ball and chain like myself who's been married 24 years, I'll take pre loved or new. As long as I can vet the pre loved bag or slg, it's cool. Just know you might be starting something with the bag thing. My husband bought my first designer bag our first year of marriage and he's been funding my addiction every since lol!! Food for thought.....

Reactions: Bumbles and pmburk
You sound like a very caring BF.
As a mother of 2 young women also starting out in the workforce, might I recommend a less noticeable brand? If this is the bag she will be taking on job interviews, something more low key might be the way to go.
LV draws attention in many cities, and not always positive.
Have you considered a Coach or maybe Longchamp? Both make high quality leather bags that are more under their radar.
Best of luck to you both.

You are really sweet. Please do not buy preloved and please do not drag her to the boutique to choose. That’s what happened to me for my engagement ring thanks to his sister’s idea[emoji849] no element of surprise.

If she doesnt like the bag, there is always an exchange policy of somesort. Check with the store

Reactions: BULL
You are such a great friend. However, i would opt out for a NF. She may think you expect same things (or $$) in return, As a graduation gift, it would be more appropriate to get her the new agenda with her initials hot stamped. That is more nice tone to it with nice box, ribbons...and personalized gift. When her clients (whatever the business she may be) see it, she can said a good fried (YOU) gave this for graduation gift.:P

NEW. I would not like a pre loved gift, and no they don't go up in value unless it's a limited edition piece
This may be subjective. I had a NF mm that I bought for $700 or $750 and due to all the price increases I was able to sell it in like new condition for $900!!! So I carried it for years and made a profit!!!

Personally I would not mind a preloved gift, but a lot of other people would mind. It's very much a hit or miss with the person, so going new would be your best bet. The extra cost will be worth the smile and the new LV experience she gets to have.
That way too, if anything goes wrong/etc you have the option to exchange it. I think while expensive, it's a wonderful gift idea and if you feel your ready to give that kind of gift then go for it. She will enjoy it for years and years. :smile: I'm excited for her!

Reactions: pmburk
Long time lurker first time poster here. I was in the same boat as you mate, I have bought my girlfriend an Neverfull for Christmas. I went brand new, and especially hunted one down which is made in France.

I'll put my opinion out there of what options you should consider.
Buy brand new from LV. It's a special gift for a special occasion, no matter what happens in the future she will always remember the gift.
If the purse is stretching your budget by buying brand new, then have a look at a wallet, cosmetic pouch, maybe a scarf? Find and item which makes you feel more comfortable price wise. Just an idea if you go for the cosmetic pouch why not throw in a Sephora gift card and go shopping together? As I've done this in the past with small leather goods, when I felt Neverfull was out of my budget.
My only concern is she has only mentioned it once..maybe there is something else she wants? As i knew for the fact which exact bag my girlfriend wanted as we had been to LV a few times together and she always loved the Neverfull.

My last recommendation is if you go for it, make it a surprise the look on her face will make it all worth it when she see's the orange box. The boutique is an excellent experience but as others have mentioned, she might fall in love with something else a back pack or an Alma.

This may be subjective. I had a NF mm that I bought for $700 or $750 and due to all the price increases I was able to sell it in like new condition for $900!!! So I carried it for years and made a profit!!!

in general, the bags don't go up in value. also, when you're calculating a profit, you have to adjust for inflation/time value of money.

First I do have to say handbags are not investments whether new or preloved. So I guess I may be in the minority here. To me personally buying a 1500 dollar gift for a girlfriend is a bit much. But I am a tad old school because I can see pitching in an amount for her to buy one herself or maybe go for something a little less expensive (definitely not preloved).

I mean of course unless you have it like that. . .I am assuming you are a young man. So I'd say overkill since that is the word you chose.