Getting Braces... Gah!

Mar 27, 2009
I am getting braces. I was originally going to get all metal ones, but decided that if I am going to be wearing them for almost 2 years, that I might want to reconsider the aesthetics. I decided on ceramic on the upper teeth, and metal for the lower. I have a bit of an overbite, and I have read that if you have an overbite and you have ceramic braces on the lower teeth, there is an increased chance that they could break.
Any feedback on metal vs. ceramic? I can't get invisalign, since my teeth need a bit more help than that.
Thanks!

^ I got braces at 40!..glad I did it though...I had the less noticeable ones on top and the metal on the bottom(same as you) because you can't really see them. That was what was suggested by my orthodontist and I went with it.

I have a consultation for invisalign next week and I have the sinking feeling I need more work than invisalign can provide. I've been looking into Damon braces as well.

I got braces when I was 34. My teeth were not crooked, I just had an overbite. I went with the metal (even these were $5500). It wasn't that bad. Honestly, I think wearing the retainer is worse.

For some reason my dentist would not do clear on top, metal on the bottom. If your dentist is willing to do this, I say go for it.

I had braces for 4 years and it sucked but was totally worth it. I had overcrowding, an expander, 4 adult teeth pulled, buck teeth and a horrible overbite. Good luck!! It's totally worth it.

I also had the standard metal ones but had a friend who had the clear ones and hers were always the color of whatever food she ate. I also have a friend who has the invisible retainer and she said it is a slooooow process.