Getting blamed for plagerism in college I didn't do...

While I think it's reasonable of you to want to fight the plagiarism charges because of the long-term consequences that will have on your record, if I were your professor, I would still give you a zero on the project. The way I see it, you admitted to not being involved in the final product, the writing of the paper, which means you didn't fulfill the requirements of the project (and this is my opinion w/o knowing all the details of the assignment...).

So I say yes, fight the probation stuff, the violation of the honor code stuff, but you should suck up the fact that your grade will be lowered and your overall gpa will be hurt.

I hate group projects!!!

Sorry you are going through this. It's really not fair to you and I don't think you did anything wrong. There's no way you would know it wasn't plagiarized unless you did the entire project yourself. Are you 100% sure of the 3 girls the one who is guilty? It's really a shame they cannot ask for you each to submit the individual work you did and go from there... Life isn't fair sometimes.. :sad:

While I think it's reasonable of you to want to fight the plagiarism charges because of the long-term consequences that will have on your record, if I were your professor, I would still give you a zero on the project. The way I see it, you admitted to not being involved in the final product, the writing of the paper, which means you didn't fulfill the requirements of the project (and this is my opinion w/o knowing all the details of the assignment...).

So I say yes, fight the probation stuff, the violation of the honor code stuff, but you should suck up the fact that your grade will be lowered and your overall gpa will be hurt.

I have accepted that, and don't really expect my grade to be changed. My problem with the situation, is that this is going on my record, and if a potential employeer looked deep enough into a background check, they will see this. It could hurt my chances of getting a job, and coming right out of college, I think that's important. We are having a meeting with the dean of our college at 3pm today, so I will see what happens there...

Given that you're so close to graduating and have accepted that your grade in the course will be lowered, just make sure there aren't any further consequences. If you appeal the decision, it becomes a somewhat public matter where more people will know what is going on. Not sure about your college but at some, there is a peer review board and 'hearing' that is sometimes open to your fellow classmates. Not sure I would want to be subjected to that.

Also - why would you delete emails in this day when storage is just about limitless? If your school has a cap, create a gmail 'mirror' and forward everything just so you have a record for future reference. It just doesn't add up and there must be more to this?

If I were in your shoes and one of my group members did that, I would confront them and find out why they would do something like that. As for everyone who claims she wouldn't know even if she had reviewed the paper, wouldn't she question why none of 'her' research appeared anywhere? I'd be concered because then I wouldn't have any record of participation.

Given that you're so close to graduating and have accepted that your grade in the course will be lowered, just make sure there aren't any further consequences. If you appeal the decision, it becomes a somewhat public matter where more people will know what is going on. Not sure about your college but at some, there is a peer review board and 'hearing' that is sometimes open to your fellow classmates. Not sure I would want to be subjected to that.

Also - why would you delete emails in this day when storage is just about limitless? If your school has a cap, create a gmail 'mirror' and forward everything just so you have a record for future reference. It just doesn't add up and there must be more to this?

If I were in your shoes and one of my group members did that, I would confront them and find out why they would do something like that. As for everyone who claims she wouldn't know even if she had reviewed the paper, wouldn't she question why none of 'her' research appeared anywhere? I'd be concered because then I wouldn't have any record of participation.

I was wondering the same thing, but then I also know people like my dad who are anal retentive about having a completely empty mailbox. I keep everything, since I never know when I might need it.

It was basically straight out copy and paste. Our professor had the website she had got the information from printed out and highlighted, and highlighted the matching parts in our paper. The whole paper was pretty much copy and paste. All she had to do was put the research we had given her into her own words, and cite it. Instead, she just copied and pasted...Hm, I really have no idea how I could go about getting the deleted e-mails. They are on my school e-mail, maybe it's like an Outlook program?

Maybe I am not understanding things properly here ...
but if her job was to cut and paste your part into a coherent paper, why wasn't your (or the other group members') section cited already?
If she was just cutting and pasting the three parts together, shouldn't all of the citations already have been in each part? How would she know which citations went where if it wasn't she wasn't doing any actual research?

Wow. Just wow. I am beyond speechless at the level of passivity being advocated by so many here. This is a HUGE betrayal by someone you trusted, it is something that you had almost no way of detecting even IF you had reviewed the paper, and while you will never give another person this much trust ever again, you DO NOT deserve to suffer for this in the slightest.

Are you sure it was this girl, and not one of the other researchers, who plagiarized?

I would gather every shred of evidence I could. I would contact IT and ask them to provide me with copies of the emails, offer to pay a fee, flirt with a guy there if I had to, figure out what was needed. I would go over the paper turned in with a fine-tooth comb and have the accusing professor identify the issue (by showing up very sweetly during office hours, explaining the situation and acknowledging that he is in a difficult spot here, but I am curious as to what and where the plagarism occurs in the paper). I would welcome the meeting with the dean. I would march in with my research, my IT-recovered emails, my highlighted copy of the final paper showing what was plagarized, and anything documenting my portion of our research and cross-referencing its presence in the paper. You might be able to show that the section containing your research has nothing plagarized. If nothing else, your proactive attitude will convince most teachers of your story. But at least you stand a good chance at making them sit up and realize that YOU did not plagiarize. If you trust your fellow team members enough to bring them into this, that's all you and might help things a little. But build your own case and present it to the Dean.

When I was a freshman in undergrad (and I was a year younger than everyone else in my class and a little shy at that point), my professor withheld my first paper and said that it had to be plagiarized because no freshman could write at that level. I was furious that he was singling me out, implying that I didn't look smart enough to perform that well (since my looks were the only exposure to me he had to go on), and asked for proof. He had none. I was sitting in his office, my voice shaking with anger, and told him that since he had no grounds to accuse me of this and nothing to compare my performance to, I'd would not accept his biased decision. He acted very concerned about my "attitude" but agreed with withhold a grade until the end of the semester "so he could have something to compare it to." I marched into our first "blue book" exam, grabbed his blank book, sat in the front row directly in front of his desk with both hands flat on the surface and wrote the entire exam, word for word, finished it and marched out before anyone else (I'd really overstudied but he didn't need to know that). He asked me to come by the next week, apologized for the accusations, gave me an A+ on both the test and the paper, and I ended up being his research assistant the next semester.

Sometimes teachers are very very wrong. Sitting back looking sheepish and taking your licks does nothing but penalize you for hard work and endanger your future prospects. Definitely deal with this. These are not infallible parent figures - they're just your average jane and joe working from 9 to 5 and making the same snap judgments we all do. Don't let the typical university professor's position on the lectern intimidate you. They're there because you pay and you show up. And you have the right to demand and receive the level of academic recognition and reward that you worked so hard to earn.

Last edited:

Maybe I am not understanding things properly here ...
but if her job was to cut and paste your part into a coherent paper, why wasn't your (or the other group members') section cited already?
If she was just cutting and pasting the three parts together, shouldn't all of the citations already have been in each part? How would she know which citations went where if it wasn't she wasn't doing any actual research?
That's what I'm trying to understand, too. It sounds to me that they all just gathered the information (not that each girl actually wrote out their findings in paragraph form, complete with citation) and passed it on to the girl who was going to be the Writer. The Writer then copied and pasted the information into a paper. If that's the case, I'm getting the sense that no one wrote anything at all, except for the Writer (who actually just copied and pasted). However, the original impression seemed to be that the three girls wrote out their papers (with appropriate citation), while the Writer/Editor of the group plagiarized a section (her own section).

It seems to me that, of the four girls, the OP and the Writer ended up doing the bulk of the work (PowerPoint and research paper, respectively, even if the paper ended up being plagiarized), while the other two girls just did some research (likely over the Internet only) and turned it in. If that's true, the other two girls were looking to get good grades for not much contribution. Out of curiosity, how long was the research paper supposed to be?

In any case, it sucks that you all got 0s on this assignment, but if all you and the others did was hand over information without taking the time to check it, then I'm not sure how much leg you have to stand on. This is why I never liked group projects in undergrad or grad school.

Part of me wants to say, "fight it!" But a bigger part of me thinks about what could happen before the appeal board. What if they don't find in her favor and increase the punishment? The thought of that would make me stand down and let it go.

And I think most of us are looking at it from a student's point of view. While I sympathize with her, the story does look quite different from the teacher's point of view.

That's what I'm trying to understand, too. It sounds to me that they all just gathered the information (not that each girl actually wrote out their findings in paragraph form, complete with citation) and passed it on to the girl who was going to be the Writer. The Writer then copied and pasted the information into a paper. If that's the case, I'm getting the sense that no one wrote anything at all, except for the Writer (who actually just copied and pasted). However, the original impression seemed to be that the three girls wrote out their papers (with appropriate citation), while the Writer/Editor of the group plagiarized a section (her own section).

From the subsequent posts, this is what the OP is saying. Only one person in the group was responsible for writing out the paper. The rest including the OP gathered the information and gave the writer the information directly from the sources. They did not write out anything original to pass onto the writer. The writer then took that information and pasted it without putting the information in her own words - though technically, even if she did it's still not her own ideas and need to be cited and lastly, the paper was submitted without anyone review the paper.

I also didn't realized at first that this was what the OP meant as well from her first post. I thought they all wrote out their parts and then submitted in their own written work to the one person in the group to put it all together and that it was this one person who plagiarized her part. The OP really has nothing to back up her word during the appeal process. It would make common sense that they would check the paper prior to submission and since they were the ones to do the research, they will know if it's simply a copy and paste job. Really they don't have a leg stand on for the appeal.